Buk Trivia... Answerer becomes next Questioner (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm disqualifying myself because I'm the guy who sent it to you. And because I don't have any good questions for this crowd.

That's the first time I've ever seen a real comic strip by Buk! I wonder if that's the only one...

Last edited by a moderator:
nope, that's certainly not the only one. A few of them appeared in the LA Freep in the early 70's, but this one here might be his first cartoon published ever.

Ah, so there's more comic strips like this one. Great! I hope they pop up here some day...

I know one published by Black Sparrow called " Dear Mr. Bukowski "

Just a guess here, used later on for the Henry Miller book: "...a praying, quivering, shaking 8 X 12 Chandler and Price, 50 or 60 years old..."?

I don't have a question. Anyway the comic strip question needs to be answered. Here's a photo of a Chandler and Price 8 X 12. I guess the Webbs drug/shipped that thing from New Orleans to Tuscon at one point.

Attachments

• candp8x12.jpg
    candp8x12.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 188
Hi,
that is what mine looks like too! The only difference is that mine has straight spokes on the flywheel, where the oldstyle was curved.

I have a few pictures here is Jon standing at the press with Edwin Blair looking on... I'll try to scan and post in another thread...

Bill

I know one published by Black Sparrow called " Dear Mr. Bukowski "

I think I know that one. It was a comic strip although each frame/drawing was made on a seperate piece of paper instead of putting all of them on 1-2 pages. I believe it can be seen on Runfola's site...

ok, the cartoon was published in 1967. That almost gives you the answer as to where it was published...

I don't have a question. Anyway the comic strip question needs to be answered. Here's a photo of a Chandler and Price 8 X 12. I guess the Webbs drug/shipped that thing from New Orleans to Tuscon at one point.
The Webb's dragged a couple of different presses from city to city. You should really read Jeff Weddle's Bohemian New Orleans: The Story of the Outsider and Loujon Press.

I'm reading Weddle book right now. Interesting reading for sure. I didn't know that a chap of poems by both Corrington and Bukowski was in the works for a while and was about to be published by a friend of Corrington. Of course, it was dropped, as many other projects from the 60's (the McNamara/Buk book of letters; the Rosenbaum (sp??)/Bukowski book of letters; the Richmond/Bukowski book of letters; the Border Press book of drawings and poems and maybe others I can't recall right now).

as to the question, I give up: that cartoon appeared in Open City.

I think for some of these you should post the answer immediately after the question. Save us all the trouble of typing, "I have no idea!"

;)

ok, guys, I know this is a tough one because I think none of you has a copy of the mag where this appears -well, there's one person who has a copy!- but if you take a close look at the pic you'll see it's not the typical Buk drawing at all, and that you should give you a pretty good idea of the date.

Okay, I can see no one is going to get this, so I'll spill the beans.

Back in the 40's Bukowski played for a AAA team called the Reno Silver Sox. It was his idea to print a program to sell to their 200 fans at each game, because the team was rarely paid.

"We hawk these for a dime a piece," he was rumored to have said, "If we can get enough of these chumps to bite, we make enough change to keep us drunk up until - and if we're lucky, through - the next game."

His team mates enthusiastically embraced the idea, and the fans seemed to enjoy the program, though some said it seemed, "dull and uninspired," so Bukowski added some drawings. This is the first drawing to appear, taken from the Silver Sox Gazette, July 17, 1944.

You never see these on the market, they are kind of like the Write magazine of AAA baseball programs. I'm not surprised that cirerita has a copy though.

Wow! I did'nt know that Buk had played on a baseball team. Seems like the Buk bio's have missed that fact...

ok I may feel like the fool for asking this but, C'mon, are you for real?? I mean are you serious?..

That's a GREAT story...
I just love this man more and more

(holed up in my back bedroom,
perfect Sunday,
with Run With The Hunted....
just reading the poetry-> wish they cited where each was from)

Bullshit,...
I'm a decent card player,
except the bluffing part...lol

Show your hand mjp

yep, you got it right. It was in the first B story which appeared in Matrix, "The Reason Behind Reason".

Are you insinuating that this copy of the Silver Sox Gazette that I have here, dated July 17, 1944 and containing several Bukowski drawings, as well as numerous photos of him in his Silver Sox uniform is fake?!

How dare you!

I'll have you know that I purchased it on eBay, and the seller assured me he got it from a reliable source at a flea market in Houston.

I'll have you know that I purchased it on eBay, and the seller assured me he got it from a reliable source at a flea market in Houston.

Hell, I'd just sign it,.. a quick little drawing of a man and a bottle,.. a four day auction back on e-bay.. your sure to make a profit. if the bidders have a problem with the "sig" just direct them here, we'll vouche for you man!! :rolleyes:

mjp is RIGHT!
Amongst really informed fans it's quite known, that during his so called 10-year-drunk, Bukowski had a second career running, in professional baseball. After his first attempts to hide this fact and claiming he "can't quite remember these years", he even started working on a novel named 'The Pitcher' in 1972. (see timeline)

cirerita:
I have no right to ask a new quest: Your naming of the date made it easy to quess through Dorbin, that it's most likely to be in 'Matrix'.

So, if you're not fed up with kicking our asses by asking strange things (and thus adding to our mediocre knowledge) - GO ON, babe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back