Buk Trivia... Answerer becomes next Questioner (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
you ain't seen nothing yet, Bill ;) Buk was also, among many other literary places, in a prison journal!

You may have to wait to get a question right to ask that question on this thread. Otherwise, if you ask it in another thread you will probably get an answer.
Hello--and thank you for responding...
But it's ok: I don't plan on answering any questions correctly, and I already know the answer to my own question, of course. Nevertheless, it has been asked, and anyone is free to explore it at their own desire. I believe it was a nice connection. Enjoy if you like.

ok, where did this appear?

buktalking1b.jpg

fuck... no idea but I want one! Did LouJon ever release this? That would make it the earliest Buk recording, no? I know that At Terror Street was recorded in 1969 by John Thomas...

Bill

ha! more info about that later on. first you gotta tell me where did the ad appear!
here's the second part of the ad:

buktalking2b.jpg

fuck... no idea but I want one! Did LouJon ever release this? That would make it the earliest Buk recording, no? I know that At Terror Street was recorded in 1969 by John Thomas...
Yes, the poems in the book At Terror Street... was recorded by Thomas. Buk had lost the written poems so Thomas had to play the recording and write them down in order for Buk to get them published (if I remember correctly).
But the 2 cd album, At Terror Street... was recorded by Buk himself! Barry Miles was supposed to do the recording but Buk told him to leave the tape recorder with him so he could do it alone...

fuck... no idea but I want one! Did LouJon ever release this?
No they didn't. That broadside is as far as the project ever got. Though Jon took preorders for the record, then tried to convince people who'd paid to take some other LouJon stuff.

I know the answer to where the ad was published, but only because I just read the book about the Webbs, Bohemian New Orleans: The Story of the Outsider and Loujon Press, so I won't answer, I'd feel like I was cheating. ;)

That book, by the way, is a real eye opener. Jon and Louise Webb were insane. In the ways that you may already think, and in so many others. Ha. A good read.

The ad was published in the mid 60's, so you can safely say it was not published in Nola nor in the LA Freep. The Village Voice was a good shot, but a wrong one. The ad was in a big paper where Bukowski was published several times (both poems and essays).

It was clear, it's from the mid 60s since 'Crucifix' was out already but they still hope for 'Outsider #4', which we know now, never appeared. (and they even name 1964 to be past and 1966 to be at least not over.)
From the measurements looking square, I had thought it was on or inside an LP-cover, but you said it's a big paper. I ain't sure if you'd consider 'WR' big. I wouldn't, for it was important but not really "big", right? But then I must admit: I know of No really big paper back then to print Buk "several times".

I'd say, mjp, tell us the story. It isn't cheating: Every thing one of us knows, is only b/c we've read it somewhere or been told. What else would be our sources? (except first-hand experience, but that covers less than 2% of all trivia-questions here, right?)

Outsider 4 (/5) did appear though... it was the Patchen issue.
I wish I could be bothered looking up the answer in the Loujon book.
I even remember reading about it now.... I just can't remember the name of the paper.

Must sleep...

See you tomorrow.

Then it must be the Chicago Literary Times.

So, about this LP... What happened?

yarn, hank solo, it was published in Lit. Times v.4 no.4. Don't know what happened to that record, but it sure wasn't released. According to a collector who shall remain nameless:

The record, so states the ad, is to earn revenue to allow the Webb's to publish the next issue of Outsider (#4), from their new home base of Tuscon, Arizona. Unknown autograph in the center of the page states "Record postponed until [Henry] Miller book is done

You really have to read the book to get the feel for what happened. It certainly wasn't a one time thing. The Webbs did this kind of "robbing Peter to pay Paul" money shifting all the time. They were constantly broke and constantly praying for an angel to come and save them. And plenty of people believed in them and did try to save them. They received a lot of free printing material and even an automated Heidelberg press! Which they battered and abused by constantly moving from city to city, and eventually sold (!) to finance something else.

I respect their work, but reading about how they did things, and how flaky and irresponsible they were, really made me wonder how they ever managed to publish anything. I think they were a little crazy, those two, and I can see why people who worked with them (Bukowski, Miller, etc.) eventually lost patience with their bullshit.

One of Bukowski's letters to Scott Harrison says that near the end of their relationship Bukowski had pretty much given up on the Webbs because he considered a lot of their problems to be self-inflicted. I'm paraphrasing, because I don't have it in front of me, but that's the gist of it.

I haven't read the book by Weddle yet, but when I first that long letter -I think it's in Reach for the Sun- where the Webbs complained -almost humiliatingly so- about being broken and working in hard conditions, and then read Bukowski's reaction, saying that all their misadventures were self-inflicted, as mjp said, I kind of believed Bukowski... and I guess Weddle's book will reinforce that notion...

And that's why I don't like to answer these questions! Doh!

Okay, an easy one.

In the 1980's Bukowski became friends with a young actor who was married to perhaps the biggest female music star of the 80's.

The question though is which of his books did he dedicate to his friend the actor?

How about a question I don't know the answer to?
(much easier for me :>)
Why was Barfly first published in Italian?

It was... about 14 or 15 months before the Paget edition. As far as why it was, I have no idea. Maybe some contractual obligation or something to do with Barbet Schroeder commissioning the book.

It's worth noting that Black Sparrow never issued this title, so I suppose it could have been up for grabs to his other publishers.

anyway - I don't find it valid to ask a question here without knowing the answer yourself.
How would you decide it's answered properly? This is a (Trivia-)game, right?
To ask a quest you dunno about, you'd open a thread.
sorry - don't intend to offend. Just thinking...

How about a question I don't know the answer to?
(much easier for me :>)

It's worth noting that Black Sparrow never issued this title, so I suppose it could have been up for grabs to his other publishers.

But that's not true...
They did per usual->
Soft covered, Hard cover, a numbered and signed by Buk,
plus a #ed and signed by Buk, Schroeder, Faye Dunaway and Mickey Rourke,
Then a lettered edition.

I guess not so per usual, but Black Sparrow's was published September 1987.
Paget Press December 1984,
and the Italian version came out September 1983.

Doesn't anybody else find this really odd?,
There has to be some great answer
(Or am I just this goofed up on details) :D

Everything related to Paget Press/Bukowski is odd. I still don't know what their relationship was, other than they were in the same building as Black Sparrow's printer...

But that's not true...
They did per usual->
Soft covered, Hard cover, a numbered and signed by Buk,
plus a #ed and signed by Buk, Schroeder, Faye Dunaway and Mickey Rourke,
Then a lettered edition.

BSP put out The Movie: Barfly but not Barfly. They are different books. True that the framework of the story stays the same and that they are both scripts, but still, different books.

They are indeed different, and I think the Paget edition is much better than the Black Sparrow edition.

BS didn't include the drawings, and the Paget text also seems to be an earlier - more complete? - version. The character descriptions, for example, seem to be shortened and "cleaned up" in the Black Sparrow edition.

My books are all in boxes at the moment, but as I recall, some of the seedier aspects of the character descriptions were cut from the BS version. But they are definitely different versions.

Ok, maybe Roni is right...
No posing a question without knowing the answer...
Or do you know Abel?
Either way, I cede the questionaire seat to whoever jumps on it 1st

Everything related to Paget Press/Bukowski is odd. I still don't know what their relationship was, other than they were in the same building as Black Sparrow's printer...
Oops, I was confusing Paget with Capra, the publishers of Fire Station.

From: http://www.richardkostelanetz.com/examples/martin.php

"One reason why he [John Martin] moved from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara was that his printer was there, Macintosh and Young; and this printer remains a keystone in Santa Barbara publishing. Upstairs from it, in the same building on Santa Barbara's State Street, are the offices of Noel Young's Capra Press, which specializes in literary and lifestyle books; Ross Erikson, which does literature and Eastern mysticism; and Mudborn Press, which does poetry, fiction and autobiography."

So I'm still waiting for cirerita's paraphrasing.

Last edited:
I cede the questionaire seat to whoever jumps on it 1st

Ok, I'll re-warm the chair with a question with an answer I know->:o

According to one poem,
What brand of cigarettes did Buk's father light up?,
Sometimes

"...with a wooden
kitchen match,
then place the match,
still burning,
onto an
ashtray."

Bonus points ;) if you can
Name That Poem

OK. This will be an easy one....

What kind of press (manufacturer, etc) was used to print "It Catches My Heart In Its Hands".

Hint: Loujon Press printed it...

Bill

Bill, since no one seems to know the answer to your question and a few days have gone by, I felt like keeping this alive, so here's a new one:

When and where was this cartoon published?

thehorseplayer.jpg

I am miles away from the right answer but the situation looks very familiar to me when i came back from a soccer match and my wife and my little son are awaiting me....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back