A Deep & Gorgeous Thirst

LickTheStar

Sad Flower in the Sand
Over 1000 posts
See... I was reading this last exchange in reverse, so when I got to the part about pillow tasting I assumed there was some sort of "intrusion" implied.

Imagine my surprise when I got to the part about the pillow fight...

hoochmonkey9

Art should be its own hammer.
Founding member
Over 5000 posts
time for a proper review, without my "humour."

I had reservations going into this one. not because I don't think Hosh is a good writer, I know he is. he writes circles around most of the small press stuff stuff I read. shit, any press.

but a whole book about drinking stories? good if you were there, but if you weren't? will it work, regardless of the talent writing it?

my concerns were quickly put to rest. I read the book like one big narrative poem, and I think it works best that way. not that there aren't poems that stand alone as excellent pieces, but I think to get the tone of the work you have to think of it as you would a novel.

I finished the book a while ago, and I still think of it almost every day. I don't say that about many books. it's funny and sad and melancholy without self pity. I think that's what sticks with me most, the balance of humour and sadness.

it makes me want to be a better writer. is there a bigger compliment?

One can only hope that the allegedly forthcoming thematic Buk books include a "drinking" volume (or *cough* 12) that reads as well as Hosh's latest. But that's the thing; they will both contain poems that are about something specific and something else not so specific. Layers are one key to good writing; add some true soul, and you're onto something. Like making a movie with Ann-Margret; add a topless scene and now you've got a film!

Hosh

hoshomccreesh.com
Over 1000 posts
it makes me want to be a better writer. is there a bigger compliment?
Respect. Cheers, man...I take it as high praise.

Like making a movie with Ann-Margret; add a topless scene and now you've got a film!
How do we make this happen?

Seriously fellas -- I appreciate you taking the time to say nice things about the book...it means a lot to me. Like Purple says -- the layers are what a lot of people miss about Bukowski's writing, and the lack of layers is why so much poetry "inspired by Bukowski" is one-note and idiotic. Drinking isn't inherently interesting...but our reasons for drinking...well, now that's something...now we're getting somewhere.

Skygazer

And in the end...
Over 500 posts
I ordered the book from Amazon a couple of weeks ago as a Christmas present to myself. I was surprised to get it so soon, I read it in two sittings (would have been one, but I had to stop) Wrapped up as a homage to drinking, it is such a celebration of life in snapshots, the good, bad, hellish and the wonderful, I loved it.

ps I think the quote you gave to the girl in the bar, "great because I don't want to hear it"p226 made me laugh. I think the film you wondered about it coming from was The Lion King - Timon - but maybe it came to him via Groucho Marx, if not it should have.:)

Hosh

hoshomccreesh.com
Over 1000 posts

Hosh

hoshomccreesh.com
Over 1000 posts

bospress.net

www.bospress.net
Over 5000 posts
I have pictures of him here from his three visits, but I have been sworn to not show them while he is alive.

And that drawing looks enough like him to get the idea...

Hosh

hoshomccreesh.com
Over 1000 posts
Say, here's a fine blurb:

"Because writing and drinking go hand in hand, it may seem an impossible challenge for a poet to offer new perspective of this well-worn, symbiotic relationship. But Hosho McCreesh does, and in his brilliant collection "A Deep and Gorgeous Thirst" he uses subject matter that might feel old and tired in the hands of a less capable poet and turns out poem after poem as exciting and irresistible as the first flush of new desire."

Tony O’Neill, author of Sick City and Black Neon

And a little something Bill Roberts is working on...no big deal...
photo-1.JPG

Hosh

hoshomccreesh.com
Over 1000 posts
Pretty good. Small -- but of the 5 people who didn't already have a book, 4 bought one...so that was good. I read 12 poems, gave away recycled wine-bottle glasses etched with the DrunkSkull logos, the venue gave us 2 stacks of ARCs to give away, and the grand prize -- 1 lucky winner got a copy of THIRST. A short Q&A, signed a few books, then drank a couple of quick snorts of Bullit Bourbon in the parking lot during which time a buddy had a great idea for the audio book.

Also, there was this:

Untitled-1.jpg

All in all -- not too shabby.