A Deep & Gorgeous Thirst (2 Viewers)

My son Exan, happy as a clam, after reading A Deep and Gorgeous Thirst :DD, in Vancouver B.C.
exan6.JPG

@Hosh yeah, I'm the last one to everything. For years I kept building up my cassette tape collection knowing that new fangled CD fad would never catch on. Eternally behind the times, haha!

Thanks Hosh, yeah I still got an old typer as well that I use from time to time. Along with a rebuilt dinosaur of a computer that I got from a computer show 17 years ago. When it's running the room sounds like a sheet metal factory at work, haha!

Would be hard pressed to find someone as behind the times as me, excluding hoarders of cabbage patch dolls and those historical re-enactment people in straw skivvies.

I've read and reread Deep & Gorgeous Thirst, and each time it feels new and amazing. It somehow covers the spread of happiness and destruction and love and loathing all somehow in a seemingly effortless read. I think part of the effortlessness is based in the fact that, each page follows some kind of loose timeline, but you're dropped into some kind of random situation every time, each one carrying a different tone/perspective. You're slowly let into a world of Hosho, which anyone who has truly lived can relate to. I love how He doesn't fuck around with titles, because there is no need. I've read all Hosho's other collections but this one is so different it's really inexplicable. Unabashed and Guts aflame are highly recommended too. One of my favorites in deep&gorgeous is definitely about stopping in for the coldest Budweiser ever poured in Wyoming. Another that comes to mind, is the poem, where Hosho's glad that we live in a world where brothers still stand up for each other as he busts through the staff doors at wendys and definitely the last poem in the book. The last poem leaves you after some kind of twisted journey of drunken madness in a vivid world with an ultimate sense of peace, some kind of conclusion that makes you feel like you've read a novel. And it's so overwhelming you can't help but smile with him, after all the adventures you've been through with him from highschool to adulthood, you feel he's found his place, and like the song goes, "there's nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile." I don't know what else to say, but I've pretty much read this book every other month through in a sitting or two, and it's still growing on me, I'm still finding more lines to love and more emotion in seemingly simplistic poetry/storytelling. Hosho you're killing it!

Oh and that indexing is amazing and hilarious, it's like some kind of tripped out map that you wouldn't expect to work, but is exactly on point.

Shit man...that's high praise. It was an ambitious book, and I was very happy about how it all came together. I'm glad the book worked for you as well as it did. I'm damn proud of it -- both in pieces, and especially as a whole.

I love how He doesn't fuck around with titles

Ha! As "The Long Title Guy" that's pretty funny. But yes, no need for them in THIRST. They would've just been in the way.

Thanks for the support, man. That means a lot to me. I'll keep after it. Working on novels these days, so here's to hoping I get one out before too long.

Well Hosh, I suppose off of the top of my head, I would be interested in "37 Psalms from the Badlands." I know there are more, I have all the ones available on your website, and can't remember any others right now due to the early morning hours and brandy....

This is great ! As I read this post , here is what I was listening to , about entitlement, truth, indoor shitters and stuff. Found it between dusty Ernest Stubb and Flying Shoes

216BD4F2-05F1-40FB-B56A-45A96984095A.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back