A Deep & Gorgeous Thirst (3 Viewers)

It was a fast and loose 7+ minutes. I dig it. I dug it. Then "Airplane" by Subtle Aggression came on and i am all confused. Anyway, you read ones I've already read. Cool. One I esp love is the one where your friend does a David Lee Roth off the sofa and almost takes out the ceiling fan.... Also i am drunk. Dinner at the bar was excelelnt. I drank six beers and ha d Italian and salad and then apple pie. It was a dark bar with only a few people and i was the youngest. The bar tender called me young man. I'm almost 42! And then i read like the whole of Factotum, well about 90% and finished it in one sitting. yet another good one. H Chuck Boo-cow!

keep swinging, right? Pow!

Work blocked it. Gonna have to actually get back to work and listen to it later tonight @ home.

That's atrocious Dave of Philly, what an imposition! probably 70% of the forum manages to do some forum business from work.
You wouldn't want to let Mr Bukowski down wouldya?

...It was a dark bar with only a few people and i was the youngest. The bar tender called me young man. I'm almost 42!
It's your Darth Vader mask PD - takes years off you.

Last edited:
I think Ponder meant a badly-written review as opposed to a review that is negative.

I hoped that was the case...but didn't want to be on of those presumptive assholes (even though, by admitting I hoped it was, I'm betraying myself as one! Arrgh!).

I mean, c'mon, I can take criticism! Like with this book, for instance...there's those that dig the book...and then there's the others that are WRONG NOT TO!

You might want to poke a hole in a paper plate instead of looking directly at these... Behold the terrible beauty of the clamshell edition!

Clamshell HERO ANGLE.jpg

A Peek Inside a Clamshell.jpg

Turns out this was "web only" content...and not in the print edition all over town. Or, as I like to call it -- imaginary. Even the NY Times can't sell people on "web-only" content.

As The Dude once said: "Strikes and gutters...The Dude abides."

Woh. Slow down fellas. Are we getting all existential on eachother here? Step away from the keyboard, go to the fridge and fix yourselves a drink. Hows about a white Russian?

Exi-what?

I've been on the Scotch Ale from Tractor Brewing here in town...I'm having a hard time paying attention.

And, also, walking...

got my copy today. it better be good, McCreesh, or I'm coming down to New Mexico to settle the score like men.

people still pillow fight in New Mexico, right?

The men do.

The ladies used scornful gazes, scoffs, and...oh yeah...prison-grade shivs.

(Thanks for buying it, man. You won't be disappointed...)

(...except when it ends. BOOYA!!)

alright, you're off the hook this time, McCreesh. you won't be tasting my pillow.

nicely done.

See... I was reading this last exchange in reverse, so when I got to the part about pillow tasting I assumed there was some sort of "intrusion" implied.

Imagine my surprise when I got to the part about the pillow fight...

time for a proper review, without my "humour."

I had reservations going into this one. not because I don't think Hosh is a good writer, I know he is. he writes circles around most of the small press stuff stuff I read. shit, any press.

but a whole book about drinking stories? good if you were there, but if you weren't? will it work, regardless of the talent writing it?

my concerns were quickly put to rest. I read the book like one big narrative poem, and I think it works best that way. not that there aren't poems that stand alone as excellent pieces, but I think to get the tone of the work you have to think of it as you would a novel.

I finished the book a while ago, and I still think of it almost every day. I don't say that about many books. it's funny and sad and melancholy without self pity. I think that's what sticks with me most, the balance of humour and sadness.

it makes me want to be a better writer. is there a bigger compliment?

One can only hope that the allegedly forthcoming thematic Buk books include a "drinking" volume (or *cough* 12) that reads as well as Hosh's latest. But that's the thing; they will both contain poems that are about something specific and something else not so specific. Layers are one key to good writing; add some true soul, and you're onto something. Like making a movie with Ann-Margret; add a topless scene and now you've got a film!

it makes me want to be a better writer. is there a bigger compliment?

Respect. Cheers, man...I take it as high praise.

Like making a movie with Ann-Margret; add a topless scene and now you've got a film!

How do we make this happen?

Seriously fellas -- I appreciate you taking the time to say nice things about the book...it means a lot to me. Like Purple says -- the layers are what a lot of people miss about Bukowski's writing, and the lack of layers is why so much poetry "inspired by Bukowski" is one-note and idiotic. Drinking isn't inherently interesting...but our reasons for drinking...well, now that's something...now we're getting somewhere.

I ordered the book from Amazon a couple of weeks ago as a Christmas present to myself. I was surprised to get it so soon, I read it in two sittings (would have been one, but I had to stop) Wrapped up as a homage to drinking, it is such a celebration of life in snapshots, the good, bad, hellish and the wonderful, I loved it.

ps I think the quote you gave to the girl in the bar, "great because I don't want to hear it"p226 made me laugh. I think the film you wondered about it coming from was The Lion King - Timon - but maybe it came to him via Groucho Marx, if not it should have.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back