Buk Trivia... Answerer becomes next Questioner (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seem to recall it was jack...the one who left his wife and girls. The uncle/aunt they visited when the fly flew into Buk's dads mouth? Am I right on saying his name was Jack?

SuptJonstone on that point you are right, but to be perfectly honest, I do not know the real guys real name. Since I'm sure all the names were changed in the book to protect the innocent or whatever.
You may ask the next question please and thank you for answering.

Some of the many scholars and their interns out there in Bukowski cyberville will know the Godfathers real name. They'll let us know or at least me.

:(:):D:eek::eek:;)

Buk's favorite movie

That's a tough one. I would vote for "Eraserhead", although he also liked "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," "The Elephant Man" and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"
:rolleyes:

'What was Buk's favorite movie"?
Not sure if it was his favourite but Buk wrote about a Cagney movie where Jimmy played a character, a fighter, who fought too long so his brother could become a concert pianist.

Can't remember the title and I can't find anything after a quick internet search. Maybe I'm wrong there.
bp

'What was Buk's favorite movie"?

i see a problem in asking for THE favorite movie, since he named several he did like (always after claiming how he disliked movies in general). all the mentioned above were once stated to be okay by him (or his alter ego).

But I think you may refer to a scene in a novel (was it 'Women'?) when Chinasky is asked about his favorite movie. I won't look it up now, but seem to remember, it was either 'Who's afraid of Virginia Wolf' (mentioned already) or a fake name for 'Eraserhead' (also mentioned before).

i see a problem in asking for THE favorite movie, since he named several he did like (always after claiming how he disliked movies in general). all the mentioned above were once stated to be okay by him (or his alter ego).

But I think you may refer to a scene in a novel (was it 'Women'?) when Chinasky is asked about his favorite movie. I won't look it up now, but seem to remember, it was either 'Who's afraid of Virginia Wolf' (mentioned already) or a fake name for 'Eraserhead' (also mentioned before).

You are probably right about this questions...sorry.

Actually, I was thinking of "Lost Weekend"....seem to recall in Hollywood Sarah/Linda had said that was Hank's favorite movie.

ok, here's one for the few privileged people, who have been, or are able to go to Buks grave:

i was thinking about asking for the name of the lawn he's lying. But that sure would have been to easy.

So, when you walk along AVALON DRIVE in search for Buk's grave, OCEAN'S VIEW right up the hill. You will find his grave, when you see the following mark and go up to that tree, just as the arrow in the picture shows:

now the question:
what is the number, I have covered on that pic?

(all you cats who don't know yet, will thank me one day for this question, as it Really helps finding the grave.
I know.
I was walking around that stupid lawn for 20 minutes to find it.)

Attachments

• _0136_hank-gravefinder2a.jpg
    _0136_hank-gravefinder2a.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 342
well talking about numbers what was the flight number of Bukowskis trip from L.A.
to Frankfurt for the German reading ?

I guess I could look it up somewhere, but in order to prevent this thread from German-hijacking, I give in.

It's not in "Shakespeare"

Hey, this is a tough one! I looked it up in "Shakespeare Never Did This" and in the biographies and NADA! I thought of calling Lufthansa and asking if they had the flight number for May, 1978!:)

maybe he wrote the flight number to the person who picked him up at Frankfurt airport...

maybe you'd have to look, if some special letter to some Mr. Weissner is only in the German edition or in the English ones too. i'm too lazy now to do this job.

if it's Not in the English volumes, there might be only ONE person able to answer this question, and This one is from Spain!

Lufthansa is the right airplane so far... and a letter to Carl Weissner is also a very good hint.
Sorry but dunno if the letter was also printed in the english versions because i don't own them.

I read somewhere a band named after Flight XXX - no kidding!

Last edited by a moderator:
There's letters to Weissner about the German trip in "Living On Luck", but not the letter who mentions the flight number.

Hey, this is a tough one! I looked it up in "Shakespeare Never Did This" and in the biographies and NADA! I thought of calling Lufthansa and asking if they had the flight number for May, 1978!:)

I guess it's fair that David will go ahead because he mentioned the correct
airline.

The flight number was: Lufthansa 453!

Question: Buk and Henry Miller

Just out of curiosity, is the info on the Lufthansa flight in the German edition of Bukowski's letters?

OK, my question is:

Bukowski wrote several times about Henry Miller and said that he liked one thing about his writing, but there was something else about his writing that he didn't like. What did he like in Miller and what didn't he like?:confused:

Just out of curiosity, is the info on the Lufthansa flight in the German edition of Bukowski's letters?

Yes it is in the german edition of the letters he mentioned the flight number in a letter to Carl Weissner dated 22th February 1978.

ok, I can't recall if this is in Screams from the Balcony or not, but what the hell: when was the poem "The Days Run Like Wild Horses Over the Hills" written?

1962 indeed. Where did you find that? Is it in Screams or in Living on Luck? Or does he say he's 42 in the poem? ;)

Thanks for the underhand pitch over the plate, Abel, us newbies need that once in awhile. Or should I say,"Thanks for the bone!"

I am at home and just read that part of The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hills I started a thread about how often Bukowski mentioned his age in his work because I am reading this book right now. I don't have a copy of Screams from the Balcony yet.

What is the most obvious misinformation in the poem,Mongolian coasts shining in light ?

I'd ask why but that belongs in another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back