Buk Trivia... Answerer becomes next Questioner (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
OK. This took me a while. Hopefully it is not so easy that you will blow me out of the water.

Buk wrote the foreword to surprisingly few writers. Among those were books by Steve Richmond, John Fante, and John Corrington.

He also wrote one for a young small press poet who has since left the scene. Who is it?

I think that makes the only four poets that he wrote forewords for (not counting short praise that is still being used on the backs of books, of course)

Answer this one and put me out of my misery and let someone ask a better question.

All best,
Bill

It could be Douglas Blazek, Al Masarik or even Jory Sherman. I'm sure Blazek has left the scene -or so he told me-, but I'm not sure about the others.

HI Cirerita,
Nope, it is not those three. These were three that I apparently missed. This poet wrote just one or two chapbooks and then dissappeared. Not sure if he quit writing or died....

I know that Blazek is still reading and writing poetry in California. He recently read there with Menebroker. He is not publishing anymore, though.

Bill

Douglas Goodwin
Half Memory of a Distant Life
(Great title, but his poem, Waiting for Bukowski to Die?!.... Egads!)
What did happen to Mr Goodwin?

Hi Zoom Man,
RIGHT! Thanks for putting me outta my misery on this one... I have no idea what happened to him...

OK. I know that you'll have a good one for us!

Bill

I think it's a common 1 page praise, but coming from Buk,
Not so common at all.

Ok,How about this->
What author, when asked to list his influences, replied
"Off the top of my head, Charles Bukowski, James Elroy and Cormac McCarthy."
His 2004 Mystery/Thriller book (the 2nd in a planned trilogy) received a starred review from Booklist.
The protagonist is a former minor league baseball player named Hank
And the book is peppered with lowlifes, would-be-mobsters, drunks and drug-dealers, and cops of all stripes...

There, The longest Trivia Question yet!

Hey Zoom Man, I actually haven't read the book, but if I do I'll let you know:D . Ok, forgive me if this one is too easy, here's what I got: Jane Cooney Baker's first/only husband supposedly set her off on her alcoholic path. What did Buk say her husband's profession was?

Ok. Let's stay with dear old Jane. What was the name of the bar where Buk met Jane?

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on guys! - It can't be that difficult...

Last edited by a moderator:
Difficult enough for me.

All I can think of is the song "Jane B. Jane", by Ben Folds Five and the poem "barfly", from "The Flash Of Lightning Behind The Mountain".

then again its 3 A.M. happy hour for me......

Bukfan said:
Ok. Let?s stay with dear old Jane. What was the name of the bar where Buk met Jane?
Hi,
I'll try "Frolic Room", but I'd almost bet good money that this is wrong.... Plus, I really don't want to ask any questions...

bIll

The name of the bar starts with a "G". "The G..."

Another hint: Check your Buk bios...

Not the Golden Horn. That was the name of the bar in "Barfly". Look into your Buk bios...

Hi,
I pass the rights to my question on to Rekrab. He will give us a much better question that I would... So David, give us a good one!

Bill

ok bill, it's been almost a month...david hasn't thought of one, back to you...

OK. This is an easy one. Someone will get this and then they can ask a better question.

What was Bukowski's first wife's name and what happened to her? (Where is she now).

Bill

correct me if i'm wrong

well technically his first wife was Jane Cooney Baker, although Bukowski never acknowledged a marrige to her.

and she died from drinking too much alcohol.

or

the answer could be

Barbra Frye ?

so can I ask a question or what?

According to the Sounes bio Barbara Frye remarried and moved to Aniak, Alaska where she began writing childern's books and discovered she was psychic. She had two daughters, one of which burned down the family's home after struggling with a drug problem. According to Sounes, Barbara traveled to India with that daughter and became involved in a "weird religous group" where "Barbara died in mysterious circumstances". That's all he says. No real details on what exactly happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back