Buk Trivia... Answerer becomes next Questioner (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, this one isn't too bad. BUK was arreseted in July of 1944 while he was living in Philidelphia and was subsequently held in Moyamensing low-security prison for just over two weeks. What was the charge?

I think the actual term was something to the effect of "Faliure to register with the draft board", but it amounts to draft-dodging. Cirerita, you're up!

name at least 2 Spanish poets -by Spanish I mean both from Spain and South America- whom Bukowski "admired" :D or, at least, talked about them in rather positive terms.

Garcia Lorca and Pablo Neruda? - Buk mentions Lorca many times in his letters and Sounes mentions Neruda as one of Buk's sources for inspiration (poetry style)...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good! - next question:

What's the name of Buk's most "disturbing" and "chocking" short story?
And in which mag did it appear first time?

A favourite poem without a specific title? - That's a tough one!
Are you talking about a single poem or a collection?

ok, what female poet associated with the Beats did Buk despise. she had a poem or poems printed in the literary supplement of Open City (Renaissance) that Buk guest edited, much to his chagrin...

Since we are on Open City,I'll give ou an easy one....

What story did Buk edit in the issue of Open City that contributed to the demise of the paper? It was not a poem of his. Author and title. This is a really easy one.

Best,
Bill

HI Cirerite,
YOU GOT IT! The story is about a 13 year old nymphomaniac. Publishing it today in a newspaper that was readily available to the public would be a problem today. Imagine that 30 years ago it was even more of a problem.

Is the story available on the internet? I can scan it maybe and send it to you.

Best,
Bill

p.s. ask yer question!

let's stick to Open City, then. What was the title of the story B wrote about his vision of -and contribution to- Open City? Really easy...

what was the name of bukowski's childhood friend who had a prosthetic arm?

I don't have it here, but I'm sure that someone else may. If so, maybe they could post it.
I have the FULL Goodwin collection (all 3 books!), thanks/courtesy to Jeffrey Weinberg. 2 out of the 3 books the intro is reprinted, so I guess he wanted full use of it...
His poetry wasn't anything spectacular, but opinions are like a--holes, we all have one... I asked about Douglas and it appears he pretty much stopped, and disappeared... Would be curious to see what happened (20 years later..)

okay, here's an easy one for all you Buk nerds.
One of the greatest lines of poetry I ever heard in a film was a voice over in Barfly...and I quote

"This thing upon me,
like a flower and a feast,
this thing upon me,
crawling like a snake,
it's not death,
but dying will solve its power...
and as my hands drop the last desperate pen
in some cheap room,
they will find me there
and never know
my name
my meaning
nor the treasure
of my escape.
"

Now, name the actual poem that these lines appear in.
and for bonus make-believe points
give me the Poetry Collection the poem appears in.

I believe the poem is "I Was Born to Hustle Roses Down the Avenues of the Dead" from The Roominghouse Madrigals. And I agree with you HenryChinaski, that's a damn good poem!

Poem is 'Old Man, Dead in a Room'. I first read this in Penguin Modern Poets 13, but I guess its most commonly available in The Roominghouse Madrigals.

I know it previously appeared in It Catches My Heart In Its Hands, and the database reveals various magazine and chapbook appearences including the first edition of The Outsider.

Well, I love to answer these questions but have to admit I hate trying to come up with something worthy to ask afterwards... erm...

erm...

Here's a stupid one. Name two models of car, and their colours, as described in published Bukowski prose/poems...

(_8(|) < Doh! I know I should do better....

Okay Bill, thats two.

I was thinking the blue VW Bug (a.k.a. a Beetle here in the UK) and a blue Mercury Comet, but the black BMW was mentioned too.

Your turn :D

HI,

OK.

Barbara Frye accepted a bunch of poems by a poet for publication. Bukowski read and was turned off by them. He talked her out of publishing them in her mag, Harlequin. This caused threats of a lawsuit and finally, after Buk & Barbara split, she published them with an apology about her "co-editor" and the comments that he made.

What was the poet's name?

Bill

Can you imagine threatening to sue a publisher who decided not to print poems they had previously said they would take?

The mind boggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back