Buk Trivia... Answerer becomes next Questioner (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
you're used to that in the U.S., aren't you? I mean, you can be sued by anything and everything, however unbelievable it may seem.

Barbara Frye accepted a bunch of poems by a poet for publication. Bukowski read and was turned off by them. He talked her out of publishing them in her mag, Harlequin. This caused threats of a lawsuit and finally, after Buk & Barbara split, she published them with an apology about her "co-editor" and the comments that he made.

What was the poet's name?
Leslie Woolf Hedley

ok, apart from writing John Bryan off in the short story the birth, life and death of an underground newspaper, there was another major factor which contributed to their falling out. According to the B mythology, what did B to really annoy Bryan?

Leslie Woolf Hedley

Hi,
For the record, you are right!

In the US you can be sued for anything. That does not mean that you will win. I have been threatened with suits over publishing certain poems. The person objected to the fact that they could be recognized, even though they werr not mentioned by name. They were in California, which has a damn tough law. If you sue for defamation and lose, you are liabel for all costs of the winning side, PLUS damages. T%his happened to someone that I know. He had a great case, brought it. HE should have won. HE lost. Had to pay all court costs and $50,000 in damages to the person that had defamed him.

My point is that even though you can sue anyone, you have to win and there can be dire consequences for bringing suits that have little or no merit.

For the record, I scrapped the book that I was being threatened over and replaced it with another book by the same poet. The risk was not worth it. I hate the idea of anyone telling me what to do, but the idea that I could lose my house over publishing a book that would make me less that $500 was not worth the risk.

Best,
Bill

ok, apart from writing John Bryan off in the short story the birth, life and death of an underground newspaper, there was another major factor which contributed to their falling out. According to the B mythology, what did B to really annoy Bryan?

wasn't it something about letching after his young daughter?

on 'bukowski reads his poetry', he, a few times, after belching or mis-reading something, says 'pardon' french-style. it's been a running joke with my friends ever since. i was just saying "forgive my error".

d gray,
I thought you were using golf lingo or something, that you were done with your par, that you just gave up :D Go figure!

I scrapped the book that I was being threatened over and replaced it with another book by the same poet. ...the idea that I could lose my house over publishing a book that would make me less that $500 was not worth the risk.
Smart move.

Was it about Buk making sexual advances towards John Bryan's wife?

Last edited by a moderator:
ok. - On the cd "Charles Bukowski live in Hamburg" he reads a poem called
"I've always had trouble with money". What was the original title of the poem when it was published in a BSP collection?

In an attempt to redeem myself from my last incorrect answer, I will have to guess that the poem is "$$$$$$" from Love Is A Dog From Hell.

skbruce: you hit it right on the nose! - you are hereby redeemed :)
- your turn...

Alright! Back on top! I'm sure it will only last a minute or less....Ok, so here we go: Who wrote the currently unpublished 300 page book Loving and Hating Charles Bukowski?

:D HA! You got it cirerita, you're up!
(I knew I wouldn't be on top for long....hey by the way, with all your research, you don't happen to have a copy of that book do you?)

nope, but I did read -and copied a few- some of the horniest letters I've ever read in my life... Oh, man, Linda surely knew how to turn some phrases...

ok, next question, according to B.'s mythology, how much did he get for selling his parents house and what did he do with all that money?

according to B.'s mythology, he gambled it away. according to Sounes -and some of the people he interviewed- B. gambled a tiny little part of that money and banked the rest. I think the truth is somewhere in between. Money always concerned B., so it's highly unlikely that he gambled it ALL away, but I believe he did gamble and drink part of it.

Montfort did the pics for "Horsemeat", which was a "project" I think because of the individually pasted prints in each copy........

Hi,
OK.

This one is EASY. Name the prison that Buk stayed in when arrested for failure to register for the draft in Philadelphia....

Bill

Moyamensing prison. - ok?

Next question:

In 1990 a danish Buk documentary was released. What was the name of the lady who made the documentary?

ha-ha...very funny mjp. By the way, have you heard about that wonderfully norwegian female singer with the smoky voice...oh my God...

ha! That really was GREAT. What ever happened to the shill? Did mjp send him packing or did he just grow tired of real fans that can't be duped?

Bill

I didn't block him. I haven't banned anyone since our pal Sean.

I screen the new accounts now, which is why you haven't seen any spam lately. Okay, there was one today, but aside from that the screening has been pretty effective.

Hey Cirerita, I'm sure you'll remember the music company stooge bukliveson from a few threads, but most notably this one http://www.bukowski.net/forum/showthread.php?t=650 where he owns up to the fact of being what he is: a music company stooge. He was always quite fond of writing about Kristin Abjornsen's "beautiful smokey voice" and of hearing "Bukowski's poems put to music".

However, as far as stooges go, he was no where near as cool as the Bond Company Stooge from the film "The Life Aquatic"(a film that had a great soundtrack, despite the absence of Kristin Abjornsen's "beautiful smokey voice").

fucking holy shit! I missed that part of the thread! How could I? I deserve to be eternally punished :D

thanks, skbruce.

Can't anybody answer the question?
Are'nt you Buk scolars ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back