Buk Trivia... Answerer becomes next Questioner (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn! You guys are doing much better than me! I checked the Sounes bio and didn't see a reference to a Danish Documentary, I must have skimed over it. My Internet searches came back with a couple of names, but non of them seemed to be women or Mette Fugl...

I found that Mette Fugl name in the Sounes bio, but it doesn't seem to be a lady...

But she's all woman... :D

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1248223/bio

Okay. a question.

As requested, an easy one.

Name the story Bukowski wrote just after his filmed trip to San Francisco for a poetry reading in the early 70s.
Bonus point, where did the story originally appear.

I found that Mette Fugl name in the Sounes bio, but it doesn't seem to be a lady...

Mette Fugl is the right answer and she is a lady or at least a woman ;)
She made a 30 min. interview/documentary with Buk. Unfortunately I have never seen the program but it pops up once in a while at e-bay in a pirate edition.

Hank Solo, the story you are referring to is "This is What Killed Dylan Thomas" which was collected in South of No North, but which originally appeared in Buk's "Notes of a Dirty Old Man" column for Open City.

skbruce, both points are yours. Okay, go!

Alright, let's stay with that poetry reading from the early 70's. After the reading, a party was given where reportedly a large fight broke out and the cops had to be called. During/after that fight, BUK got into a fight with Linda King who left and flew home by herself(Sounds like quite the trip!). So, the question is, who owned the place where the party/fights took place? Also, as a bonus, who was the director filming BUK and Linda on that trip?

Quit drinking after his stomach exploded
Quit drinking towards the end of his life when diagnosed w/leukemia (was surprised at how easy it was...)
Quit drinking while in Wheeler Texas with Barbara Frye. (dry county. O.k., this one reallty doesn't count -it was against his will)
There are others. Which one do you want, and what do I win?

baldy,

he didn't quit drink after his stomach exploded. He was told so, but B was never very good at taking orders... the other 2 answers aren't correct either.

dull, your turn :D

what is the name of a 20th century philosopher hank admired a lot?
He even used his name in a fictional shortStory,in the climax final sentence.

nope.

another hint:one of the biggest assassins of the 20th century has the same familyname(though,for the person we search its the first name)

hank uses this analogy in his story..

well,i might have to add that up to this day,it is not so clear who really arranged the assassination or even if the person accused was really guilty of the crime...

he didn't quit drink after his stomach exploded. He was told so, but B was never very good at taking orders... the other 2 answers aren't correct either.

Where are you getting your information from?
cirerita is right, he did not quit drinking after the hospital episode in the mid 1950's. He may not have had a drink the day he got home, as he has written somewhere (half beer half milk, wasn't it?), but he didn't stay on the wagon for long.

His last couple of years are a different story. He was very ill and he did stop drinking and smoking.

nope.

another hint:one of the biggest assassins of the 20th century has the same familyname(though,for the person we search its the first name)

hank uses this analogy in his story..

pardon my small mind

so
the family name of the assassin
is the first name of the philosopher ?

:confused:

cirerita is right, he did not quit drinking after the hospital episode in the mid 1950's. He may not have had a drink the day he got home, as he has written somewhere (half beer half milk, wasn't it?), but he didn't stay on the wagon for long.

His last couple of years are a different story. He was very ill and he did stop drinking and smoking.

For an alcoholic, one day dry constitutes quitting.
/Personal experience.

Admit it, your 'trivia' question was weak.

yeh, it could be, I just can't recall that and am too lazy to double-check it. It was something "forbidden" plus milk...

From 'Charles Bukowski' by Barry Miles:
"He told publisher John Webb that six days after leaving the hospital he returned to his job at the post office, driving the mail truck, lifting 50-pound packages, and mail sacks, and wondering if the blood would come again. And it was a couple of days after that that he had his first drink. He mixed a little wine into a glass of milk, and then tried it again with very little milk........"

so it was wine, then. thanks, baldy.

err... what about the philosopher with the assassin's family name? ;)

Wine and milk must have tasted like puke (as in Buk), but yeah, beer and milk would have been worse.

Really? I can't imagine him abstaining from either one. Did he write much during this time?

puke,
1991 was probably his most prolific year EVER!

as to the philosopher question, I think we'll need another clue. I guess we don't feel like double-checking all the short-stories ;)

well, i cant think of other clues,especially because i dont know the name of the shortstory myself:)

...would have to dig in my hank-books and "I guess i don't feel like double-checking all the short-stories "

the answer is:

Lee Harvey Oswald Spengler

Oswald Spengler:The Decline of the West(ern Civilization)

that was a tough one, dull! but it wasn't dull at all ;)

ok, according to B's mythology, Post Office was written in how many weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back