Buk Trivia... Answerer becomes next Questioner (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand that! :) - I have all the paperbacks from BS/Ecco/City Lights/Paget including all the books of letters and the bios by Sounes, Cherkovski and Miles plus some books with Buk recollections etc. and I have'nt found anything as to when it was written. Of course, I could easily have overlooked it, but I have a hunch that you have the info from a book not to be found in bookstores. Anyway, you really found a tough question here and I look forward learn the name of your source...
And for your insane giggling to stop...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
OK.

What was Buk's address when he lived in Philadelphia (when NOT in Moyamensing)?

This one should be an easy one for Buk.net fans...

Bill

okay, I can't really think right now, so here's an easy one.
this may have already been asked before but:

what is the name of the ship that the Bukowski family traveled on when they came to the U.S. ?

AHAHAHAH TOLD YOU IT WAS EASY

You bet! - Since I have answered this very question once before in this thread! - SS President Fillmore.

Next Question: Weissner's translation of "Notes of a Dirty Old Man" was published in Käln/Cologne. What was the name of the company?

Ok. I see. Is it the short story "Confessions of a Coward" also printed in "Betting on the Muse"? Or is it a poem in the NYG?

The 1995 NYG is somewhat unusual in that it prints a short story instead of a poem or poems.
Yes, it's the same story that appears in Betting.

Now.... what was the new question?

Next Question: Weissner's translation of "Notes of a Dirty Old Man" was published in Käln/Cologne. What was the name of the company?

hmmm...I've seen the answer. Just don't feel like diggin it up. I should know this one.

No, not Palmenpresse. I'll give you a hint. It contains two names and the first name starts with a K...

Well, you're not stumped, Bill...It was the correct answer!

Your turn...

OK,
This one may be tough... Maybe not....

What was the working title of Bukowski's first book "Flower, Fist and Bestial Wail"?

Bill

Right! That was one. Also possibilities were:

"Fire, Fist & Bestial Wail"
The Mourning, Morning Sunrise"

Plus, I seem to remember hearing of others...

Your turn!

Bill

Most of us know when Buk was born and when he died.
How many days did he live?

This is not a trick (philosophical) question - but a number-cruncher.

26,869 days:
2,321,481,600 seconds
38,691,360 minutes
644,856 hours
3838 weeks (rounded down)

all yours Hank solo

couldn't it be both? :)

It's as easy as punching some numbers in on a website - Date of birth - date of death and here is the result.

It's just so fucking hard trying to come up with a question that you guys wont answer in a nanosecond!

A Quickie Question

Well, while BOAB is trying to think of a tough one,
I'd like to try what I think is a hard one on the Buk
experts:

What's the name of the published poem in which
Mr. Bukowki has the wrong year of death for a famous
opera composer?

PT

What's the name of the published poem in which
Mr. Bukowki has the wrong year of death for a famous
opera composer?

PT

This is why I cannot participate in this string. If I tried to come up with answers to questions of this caliber, I would have an aneurysm.

This is why I cannot participate in this string. If I tried to come up with answers to questions of this caliber, I would have an aneurysm.

i would have one of those, too (what does it mean:confused: ), if i tried to scour all the collections for the answer. if it's not in YOU GET SO ALONE it must be in a postumous collection. an inebriated guess. the only opera composer i know of is Wagner. maybe Hugo Wolf was...

i would have one of those, too (what does it mean:confused: ), if i tried to scour all the collections for the answer. if it's not in YOU GET SO ALONE it must be in a postumous collection. an inebriated guess. the only opera composer i know of is Wagner. maybe Hugo Wolf was...

Sorry if this was an unfair question. The published poem is posted on this newsgroup if anyone still wishes to try. I only discovered B's error by accident. It's also okay to skip the question entirely and move on to another one. One would probably only notice the wrong year of death if one were an afficianado of classical music. Will post the answer later today or tomorrow. Either way, the high percentage of correct answers on this forum is impressive! Best of luck. "”PT

ummm...
ever hear of mozart
tchaikovsky
or the who

oh, yeh - tchy wrote an opera.

so did vivaldi.

and i was "raped" by an older woman
who claimed she'd had a thing with
roger daltry.
that was an opera.

Zee Answer

The fact is of no great importance, except perhaps to the composer himself, but Donizetti was born in 1797 and actually died in 1848. Somehow Bukowski got the date of birth and death mixed up, or perhaps the announcer got it wrong if B. happened to have gotten the information while listening to his favorite radio station.

https://bukowskiforum.com/showthread.php?t=194

Anyway, let the Buk trivia game play on...

This missing sailor of late will take the helm,
(on-line again after MIA (don't ask) and trying to catch up here
and seeing something negative about Steve R being on earth et al...
Well, I can relate )

And thank you Poptop for the last question
(and answer).
Anything goes here,

Like -> name this poem
(from the last stanza...)

'after I eat I
nap
with the heli-
copters and vultures
circling over my
sagging mattress.'

Yeah, ok,
It's definetly Buk
And this thread may be becoming increasingly nonsensical...
But man, the universe tends toward entropy (sp?).
So I recommend launching when you can
(and when your up here, say Hi! to Steve R and all the rest of us)

So,
Who can
NAME THAT POEM
(a new thread perhaps?!)
in those 6 lines.......

I know I am a cheat, but I believe it is 'doom and siesta time' from Love is a Dog from Hell.

Yeah, I've used white text for some strange reason...

I'm not likely to come up with a new question. I'm lost right now.

Anyone like to jump in?

hey hank solo, not fair to answer if you don't ask a question in return. who'd be allowed to ask a new one then?

Well, to qualify for this honor, I'd add to your answer, that the German version of this poem is named 'Siesta und Angst vor dem Sterben' and is found in 'Die Girls im gruenen Hotel' on page 52f.

If this Does qualify me to ask next, how about this one: at what time was our hero born?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back