Seen any good movies lately? - Films you MUST see (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if I would recommend it, necessarily...it is not for the faint of heart (or the brave of heart, really) but it is as real as it gets:

henry.jpg

In reading chronic's offering I found a very good foriegn film Lives of Other People. A story about the spying on private citizens during the cold war, corruption, love and the personal involvement of the of one of the spies. I recomend it.

Leaving Las Vegas(great book as well) will ALMOST never make you want to drink again. Truly a great film.

Salo-120 Days of Sodom is a fun, light hearted story about fascist Italy for the whole family to watch.

Yeah I distinctly remember renting that movie back in the day when you could actually FIND that movie to rent, and watched it with my girlfriend, who initially was the one expressing great interest in wanting to watch it in the first place, judging from the VHS cover. Got home, put it on, drank some wine, and lost whatever innocence I had left in loosing that night, which wasn't that much to begin with.
Next morning, I woke angry and confused. I guess whatever agenda the movie had, worked.

I've heard people say things similar to this before. To each there own you know. I'm sick of defending His music/art to people. you either like it or you don't. I deicied a while ago that it wasn't neccesary for me to try and force peole to like the things i like. I know you're not trying to be a smartass. that's you're opinion and that's cool.

falcune said:
fuck. i wish i was this cool. (snip..)
Speaking of fake cowboys I just saw Midnight Cowboy a week ago. It was fairly good.

Midnight Cowboy See Here is considered to be a classic and I have never seen it. I just watched the Seinfeld episode called The Mom and Pop Store the other day and now I need to see the movie.

I just saw "Man on wire" and thought it was prety good. before i saw the film i had no idea that anyone had walked across the twin towers on tight rope. I'm too young i guess. I re-watched " A clockwork orange" a few nights ago too. anyone who has not seen it GO OUT AND RENT IT NOW!. truely one of the greatest films ever made.

Warning:
This movie is funny, yet also kinda bomb.
It's full of absolutely stupid jokes and cliché and is dumbed down to the lowest level possible. still I had some good laughs watching it.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE ZOHAN

Last edited by a moderator:
oh!
i've just realized, i've fucked up the whole recommendation by giving what i thought would be the only trailer, which was a misleading one.

didn't know there's a FAR MORE matching one:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=viFoAsjkArg

still be prepared for the most cliché and low-level-jokes you've ever seen.
but from this one you can really decide what it is.
maybe.

and still - it's a STUPID movie !!!

I just saw the video clip and it looks like a very funny movie. It reminded me of The Naked Gun movies.

I loved his push-ups...:D

thanks for giving it a chance.

it IS funny, but as i said - in a stupid/cliche way.
if you're able to cope with that, you'll have a fine time. i think in this case - it's most important to know, that this no-level-jokes will come, so you don't expect any sublime humor like with Monty Python.
then, and Only then, you can enjoy it.
Do so!

roni; My son saw it when it came out and liked it. Adam Sandler at his best. Sometimes a little goofy humor is good. I'm gonna' watch it.

I don't know yet but I bought Crime & Punishment in the local supermarket :confused:

On the back cover of the jewel case it says it is a BBC production so it can't be that bad.
Or?

Re: The Devil and Daniel Johnston
I've heard people say things similar to this before. To each there own you know. I'm sick of defending His music/art to people. you either like it or you don't. I deicied a while ago that it wasn't neccesary for me to try and force peole to like the things i like. I know you're not trying to be a smartass. that's you're opinion and that's cool.

There is no quality filter to his work, whether its his art or his music, post or even pre breakdown his work exists in its 'purest' form. Sometimes the rawness works, other times it doesn't and that is what I think divides peoples opinion of Johnston so greatly.

Re: The Devil and Daniel Johnston

There is no quality filter to his work, whether its his art or his music, post or even pre breakdown his work exists in its 'purest' form. Sometimes the rawness works, other times it doesn't and that is what I think divides peoples opinion of Johnston so greatly.
very well put. But I think the same thing could be said about artists and musicians that are far more popular and critically acclaimed than Johnston. I never meant to give the impression that I thought all of Daniels work was genius. just hear to the song "king kong" it's one of the wort piece of "music" I've ever heard. but when he's at his best he's truly on another level

i often use capital letters to Emphasize special words. Have stolen that from Schopenhauer.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to correct your typing. I was just adding the "Grasshopper" bit. The line reminded me of Kung Fu. It's an American pop culture thing.

... The line reminded me of Kung Fu. It's an American pop culture thing.

interesting thing: i Do know - and appreciate - the Kung-Fu series (as you can get from this one of my Thailand-pics. (hope the link works for non-myspace-people)
but since i don't know the original english version, i didn't get the 'grasshopper'-joke.

anyway, i guess i have learned something about Kung-Fu and you've learned something about Schopenhauer.

Love!

ps:
what a shame: if you'd used the word 'padavan' instead of 'grasshopper' i had get more of it. somehow this makes me sad.

I finally got around to seeing The Dark Knight yesterday. A good film that was a little better than I expected it to be (though if I had known in advance that Christopher Nolan was the director, I wouldn't have been as surprised). I loved the philosophical musings that weave in and out of the script. Why do we follow rules ? What is "right" and "wrong". And how come, when the chips are really down, people will eat each other ?

Heath Ledger was outstanding. I tried my best to be impartial and not succumb to any sentimental feelings toward his performance, but goddamn folks - this one is a winner. He pulled off a portrayal of physical imperfection (stooped posture, unkempt hair, nasal speaking voice, insecurity about his facial scars ) that is perfectly expressed through violence and nihilism. Richard III, anyone ?

The ending sets up a sequel, but I have to wonder if it would be best to drop The Joker altogether. If not, then casting the next one will become a major undertaking. But maybe that will be a good thing, too. Actors will try to outdo Ledger, Nicholson, etc. and the role will become a litmus test for playing "the crazy guy". That would be pretty cool. IMHO.

Only because of that great lead in do I bring up Brokeback Mountain which was a good movie. Heath Ledger, Ang Lee and a beautiful location made the movie. Heath Ledger did a very good job as the Joker, I think better than Jack Nicholson who showboated the role.

I saw Dennis Potter's TV-play "Brimstone and Treacle" on DVD last night. Frightening & fascinating stuff. This film was so controversial in its day that it was banned by the BBC for 11 years. It starts out with a quote from Kierkegaard that sounds like something right out of the Bukowski Tapes:
"There resides infinitely more good in the demonic than in the trivial man."
Balanced by a quote from Mary Poppins:
A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.
These two quotes sum up the the play's title pretty well.
I don't want to reveal much more other than say that it reminded me of some of Buk's more "troubling" stories (like "The Fiend"). But this film manages (unlike "The Fiend") to combine a nauseating and shocking story with truly hilarious black humor - that's where the "spoonful of sugar" comes in.
In 1978 Potter said the following about it:
I had written Brimstone and Treacle in difficult personal circumstances. Years of acute psoriatic arthropathy"”unpleasantly affecting skin and joints"”had not only taken their toll in physical damage but had also, and perhaps inevitably, mediated my view of the world and the people in it. I recall writing (and the words now make me shudder) that the only meaningful sacrament left to human beings was for them to gather in the streets in order to be sick together, splashing vomit on the paving stones as the final and most eloquent plea to an apparently deaf, dumb and blind God. [...] I
I won't say any more. See for yourself on .
PS: there's also a in the role of the demon plus a good soundtrack. Has anybody seen it?

Henry Fool

HENRY FOOL

Director: Hal Hartley.
Actors: Thomas Jay Ryan, James Urbaniak, Parker Fosey.
Year: 1997.

It's 2 hours 17 mins long, but worth all the way.

A disfunctional family, a garbage worker that became a poet, and a lowlife writer. A truly bukowskian scenario.

Lots of Budweiser ads.

A nice independent film Once my wife picks some nice stuff. It's easy and slow, but a lot of heart in the music. In fact it's referred to as a contemporary musical set in Dublin, Ireland.

just been watching the movie '' with Jude Law, Natalie Portman and Julia Roberts.

have seen it in german and the translation has several obvious faults. will watch again soon in english.

not a bad movie though. about relationship(s) between 4 people (2women, 2 men, all hetero - so, no scandal) goin' from here to there.

somehow it reminded me of some works of Heinrich von Kleist: Everybody acts the worst way possible, even though Nobody Wants to do so. they're just prisoners of their own humanity, their faults and needs and imperfectness.

the editor was a prick though. at least at several parts.
i've seen, the original was a theatre-play - and the editor (or maybe the director) didn't care, that, in a movie, you can not simply put one scene after the other, when there is a lot of time inbetween. in a theatre you have the curtain and are prepared, that scenes can have a lot of time between them. in a movie (if you don't want to write something like: "1 year later") you - at least - need to move into black for 2 seconds. or something similar.
this was simply bad craft. really.

but beside that. not a bad movie.
as far as i can tell from the german version.
will tell you again after having seen the original ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back