Seen any good movies lately? - Films you MUST see (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
just watched The Public Enemy and The Roaring Twenties, both starring james cagney. both were good, but i thought the latter was more entertaining. i love old gangster movies...

Stone Reader - you've probably already seen this, it's six years old. But if you haven't seen it and you love books, or documentaries or obsessiveness in general, you've got to see this one. In search of a vanished author and his vanished book.

Also saw last night. A kind of dumb and cliched premise, but made by Luc Besson, who made Leon:The Professional and La Femme Nikita, so if you dig those, you might like this. Paris in black and white - it's quite a visual trip more than a character-based thing. Worth a peep just for the mise en scéne, as the kids say. You don't need to read the subtitles. Ha.

Last edited:
But if you haven't seen it and you love books, or documentaries or obsessiveness in general, you've got to see this one.

Fascinating documentary. I think Hoochmonkey recommended Stone Reader
a while ago. Golden tip.

Stone Reader - you've probably already seen this, it's six years old. But if you haven't seen it and you love books, or documentaries or obsessiveness in general, you've got to see this one. In search of a vanished author and his vanished book.

Also saw last night. A kind of dumb and cliched premise, ..snip.... Ha.

Angel A stars Jamel Debbouze who was in Amélie and was very good in it. It looks like a good movie. Thanks for reminding me about Stone Reader.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm Not There stands out quite a bit. Cate Blanchet(t?) is the second best Bob Dylan I've ever seen. And she hits like a woman. Brilliant screenwriter/director/actors/film.

that's a good one.
one of my favourite films of last (?) year.

is the best Bob Dylan you've seen Bob Dylan?

"I'm Not There" is simply indescribably brilliant; you either get the movie or you don't. Those who arrive armed with a fistful of Bob Dylan extranea will appreciate the movie all the more -- that's both the strength and the weakness of the film. But it remains a hell of an achievement.

I agree, Carvers... though I watched this with hubby, who isn't the biggest Dylan fan in the world... and at the end of it, he said he had an entire new respect for Bob. I felt accomplished ha.

I'm not there. . .
Saw that movie last december and mentionned it here.
I was just amazed at Cate Blanchet's tour de force, then ,no one ever replied. I had thought then that my taste was off. But there you go, you found it too. . .
Thanks for sharing your experience.
To me Cate was Dylan!

I just hadn't seen it at the time of your post. your taste wasn't off. well, it might be, but then so is mine. which is fine. we can have some drinks and discuss our bad taste.

Given the time of year... if you can find it, try Joyeux Noel, about the Christmas truce in 1914.

I always think of my German friends whenever I see this movie. If we had the misfortune of being born too soon, instead of drinking beer together, we would have been throwing hand grenades at each other. So, Prost, to peace.

Just watched Encounters at the End of the World, a documentary about Antarctica and the people who live there by Werner Herzog. Not your typical Nat Geo or Discover Channel documentary. Herzog manages to keep a cynical attitude throughout (now you ask: "how the hell can you be cynical in a documentary about Antarctica for god's sake?").

Highly Recommended!

I'll have to see that. Herzog is a mad genius. Aguirre, the Wrath of God is punk rock film making at it's finest.

(Uh, don't rent that expecting to see real punk rock.)
(Over and out.)

Herzog is a mad genius. Aguirre ...

Yeah, Herzog and Kinski are one mad couple:

aguirre_kinski_herzog.jpg

Aguirre:
klaus-kinski.gif

Woyzeck:
woyzeck2pm.jpg

Nosferatu:
nosferatu_pn.jpg

Fitzcarraldo:
klaus_kinski.jpg

Just watched Encounters at the End of the World, a documentary about Antarctica and the people who live there by Werner Herzog. Not your typical Nat Geo or Discover Channel documentary. Herzog manages to keep a cynical attitude throughout (now you ask: "how the hell can you be cynical in a documentary about Antarctica for god's sake?").

Highly Recommended!

I was standing in line at a coffee shop and they had one of those in house tvs hooked up that shows your horoscope, the weather, business news, etc. they also show movie previews. there was one for some kids' movie, then one came up for the Herzog movie.

I started laughing, thinking about some of the people in line taking their kids, thinking it was like March of the Penguins. blinded by Herzog's excellent brand of crazy being sprayed across the screen.

that's a bit snobbish, of course. I'm sure some of the coffee line people would have liked it, although it would probably take them by surprise if they don't know Herzog's films.

Highly Recommended!

i've been wanting to see that for a while. maybe i'll move it to the top of the ole netflix queue. if you haven't seen his doc "little dieter needs to fly", check it out asap. i mentioned it here before but got mostly negative responses because it is about vietnam and wasn't done from a vietnamese perspective. which really misses the whole point of the film. it's more about one man's struggle and survival against a billion to one odds...(and i mean "billion" almost literally)

Just been goin' through the Orson Welles classics.

Citizen Kane, Touch of Evil, Magnificent Ambersons, The Trail etc.

He was an absolute genius who got screwed over by the big film companies throughout his career. From all the interviews I have watched he seems like a very humble, profound guy too which surprised me a little at first since a lot of guys as gifted and visionary as him generally are real assholes in real life.

I just saw Santa Sangre, a Jodorowsky film. A delicate balance between the theater of the absurd and a circus of horrors
Someone commented on the imagery in one of my paintings and had compared to this film, well...
He did El Topo and The Sacred Mountain as well. Jodorowski also performs in his films.

...Orson Welles...From all the interviews I have watched he seems like a very humble, profound guy too which surprised me a little at first since a lot of guys as gifted and visionary as him generally are real assholes in real life.
Read some things written by people around him rather than just interviews with him and you might get a different take. I'm pretty sure the word "humble" won't come up very often. But then very few forceful, driven people are humble.

Read some things written by people around him rather than just interviews with him and you might get a different take. I'm pretty sure the word "humble" won't come up very often. But then very few forceful, driven people are humble.

no, Welles wasn't humble. but he had no reason to be. whether someone likes his films or not, he did have a huge and perhaps revolutionary impact on American cinema.

I'm sure he was a prick to work with. just like Brando and Hoffman (at least when they were younger). and etc. but sometimes you have to tolerate pricks.

that's what she said. heh.

Busy with Jodorowski, I watched el Topo.
You could say "Have you experienced Jodorowski?"
His re-ocurring themes are ever present, a fascination with mother's love, cults, amputations.
The imagery is quite powerful (costumes and sets) and somewhat abstract at the same time, but you get it.
Something fellini-esque about it.

i just saw Grand Torino
on christmas day.
Something about this film
reminds me of my early days
when i first discovered bukowski.

pabst blue ribbon,camel cigs,
mowing the lawn..

easy plot yet some how still
enjoyable!

Busy with Jodorowski, I watched el Topo.
You could say "Have you experienced Jodorowski?"
His re-ocurring themes are ever present, a fascination with mother's love, cults, amputations.
The imagery is quite powerful (costumes and sets) and somewhat abstract at the same time, but you get it.
Something fellini-esque about it.

I recently watched "el topo" as well, a good movie way ahead of it's time i think, there is also some books by Jodorowski as well you might like them too

"Populärmusik från Vittula"
Arte??

great movie i've seen it also back then

my last movies:

barfly...i thenk the 20th time or so^^
fear and loathing in las vegas
American History X....most moving and touching film ever... but not because he was the bad nazi and he was raped in prison and so on, but just the single fact, how he stands to his family... father/brother/guard...so touching , tears were vailing in my eyes

@ whiskyandwater...yeah lynch is great have seen, eraserhead, twin peaks (movie and Tv-episodes), Dune and the elephant man...eraserhead and elephant man is his best...twin peaks is something above this world, i think.. you must be either a non drunk or a genius or stoned to get the message...(if there is one) oh yeah... the chewing gums you like come back in fashion! and there's always music in the air!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Zachary: A letter to a son about his father

a must see documentry. i caught it on MSNBC - i konw it is playing at some local theaters across the country... it is a MUST see... I dont want to say what it is about because I dont want to give anything up... I seriously urge all of you to check it out if possible...

http://dearzachary.com

They Live, John Carpenter, 1988 How Rowdy Roddy didn't get a nomination for this I cannot fathom. Awesome film.

This is one of my all time favorites!
P.S. David Icke, 'famed' conspiracy theorist acctually says one should see this film as resarch into the ways of the real Reptilian Race!:eek: He also strongly suggests the mini-series, V.

I just saw "The Wrestler", and I found it great. A perfect role for an aging Rourke.
I can only think of good things to say about the movie.
I was thinking that he was the perfect Buk ,and still is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back