What I'm having for dinner. (4 Viewers)

I made some pasta salad.
Like this:

371.jpg

Only no meat, just artichoke hearts chopped up, Garlic, oregano, basil, black pepper, sliced olives from the little can, sliced up green pimento olives, sliced up blackish purple deli olives and the juice it came with, juice from a jar of peperoncinis, sliced fresh tomato, parboiled broccoli heads and some thin sliced Italian squash, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and added a tablespoon of something called pizza seasoning. I want to eat some for breakfast, and yes with lemonade.

curried lentils with big chunks of cauliflower and carrots over brown rice.

Then I had potato chips because I could not stop thinking about them after reading the above posts.:)

Gerard, that was a marmote, very cute.
A marmite is a pot in french.

I am going to eat leftovers, east meets the west and we are going to settle this in my kitchen.

I make a mean 'tater salad. Once you've got the potatoes done, add them to (I never measure anything, so do it so it looks right):

mayonnaise
sour cream
German mustard
splash of rice vinegar
chopped red onion
hard-boiled egg
chopped celery
green peas
dill
curry powder
nutmeg
sea salt
cracked black pepper

PS; You and my son and the curry powder. I guess once you acquire a taste for curry you even want to put it in your cereal every morning. I've had potato salad with the curry.

This Shit is THE SHIT

If I walked into a noodle shop and they didn't have a bottle of this on every table, I.... I...., well I don't know what I'd do, but I would find another restaurant, that's for sure. Many taquerias and a few diners will keep this on hand, too. Yummmmmmm.

NYT article here.

images

If I walked into a noodle shop and they didn't have a bottle of this on every table, I.... I...., well I don't know what I'd do, but I would find another restaurant, that's for sure. Many taquerias and a few diners will keep this on hand, too. Yummmmmmm.

NYT article here.

images

Reminds me of the iron screw-mechanism Buk was subjected to in All the Assholes in the World and Mine. What eat that crap? Just coat a nail in sufuric acid and hammer it up there. ;)

Wait a minute - how did we go from garlic and chili peppers to chemically-altered tools of carpentry and adult film adaptations...

Or am I seeing the future Olympic torch of 2012 ?

Haha... to each his own I guess. Chili peppers are great, but I always keep milk on hand.
Only recipe for heartburn and tongue burn. Aside from painkillers.

That fucking rooster just brings it - You know ?

I'm going to put some St. Louis style ribs into a marinade of apple cider for 1/2 a day and then a good dry BBQ rub and then 3 hours of indirect grilling with a apple cider spray every twenty minutes. Then any old BBQ sauce-Sweet Baby Ray's. I better make some Cole Slaw.

Tonight is leftover pork tenderloin stuffed with spinach and five cheeses, Italian egg pasta with butter, garlic, herbs and parmesano, and green beans with a splash of balsamic vinegar. I made it last night, but stuff like that is always better the second day.

i'm impressed with all this cooking. the extent of my own 'cooking' is putting frozen vegetables into a pan and heating them till edible.

well, I've given up on propane BBQs and reverted back to charcoal. not just any charcoal, but

bag66s.jpg

back ribs and grilled corn on the cob.

sweet jesus, it was good. sweet smokey goodness.

and beer and wine. natch.

i just had sausages filled with cheese, wrapped in bacon and chicken nuggets with a sweet/sour sauce together with warm rolls and pepperoni - a lot of that.
and there is tiramisu, but I'll better wait an hour or so ;) .

and not that I'm stalking you, Schnapsladen.

They're called Berliner Würstchen - Berlin sausages. In a bakery a Berliner is yeast-risen pastry filled with either cherry or apricot marmalade. It has the size of an orange and is strewed with powdered sugar. I like them warm better than cold. Paradoxically we have another yeast-risen pastry with sugar coating that looks a bit like a flying saucer and is called Amerikaner.

http://www.contentimages.de/content/GlobalPictureGallery/31/1635491331_1214162939265.jpg

I don't know how the name occured and why this one is cut in half, couldn't find better pics,erm. http://fddb.info/static/db/106/backwaren-amerikaner_205x136.jpg

At least I have found a gathering of Berliner.

http://blog.rezkonv.de/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/berliner-pfannkuchen.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Biked 25 miles this afternoon and decided against cooking anything.
Picked up 2 Filet-o-Fish sandwiches from McSatan's Golden Arches To Hell. No fries, no soda pop, just water to drink.

mcdonalds-fillet-o-fish-300x239.jpg

I could sell my soul for those sandwiches.
Maybe I already did......Mwaaaha-ha-ha-ha.....

Picked up 2 Filet-o-Fish sandwiches from McSatan's Golden Arches To Hell. No fries, no soda pop, just water to drink.

I could sell my soul for those sandwiches.

The Filet-o-Fish holds a strange place in the American lexicon. It is by far the least popular McDonalds food (other than salad, of course), as far as I can tell, but by far the best (best being a very relative term here) in terms of, well, non-crapiness. I gave up this despicable, god-awful place about 4-5 years ago, but every now and again, I get a hankerin' for a FOF.

And hah! Soda-pop. You must live in the midwest: http://popvssoda.com:2998/countystats/total-county.html

They're called Berliner Würstchen - Berlin sausages. In a bakery a Berliner is yeast-risen pastry filled with either cherry or apricot marmalade. It has the size of an orange and is strewed with powdered sugar. I like them warm better than cold. Paradoxically we have another yeast-risen pastry with sugar coating that looks a bit like a flying saucer and is called Amerikaner.

http://www.contentimages.de/content/GlobalPictureGallery/31/1635491331_1214162939265.jpg

I don't know how the name occured and why this one is cut in half, couldn't find better pics,erm. http://fddb.info/static/db/106/backwaren-amerikaner_205x136.jpg

At least I have found a gathering of Berliner.

http://blog.rezkonv.de/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/berliner-pfannkuchen.jpg

Even better yet it's a pastry! I'm not kidding when I say I think you Germans know how to live. And don't forget where Buk was born!

Warning ! Warning ! Warning !

Last night, I was forming patties out of 1 lb. of ground beef for grilling at my brother's house and felt something weird. It was a shard of plastic, approx. 1-1/2" long and 1/2" wide. If this thing were made of glass, I would have definitely cut myself. My brother wrapped up the evidence and returned it with the receipt to the store. The manager was very apologetic and made all kinds of offers, but he just asked for a refund and played it very silent and angry. The manager now probably thinks he will be sued (though he won't). My brother is a cruel genius in that way.

So be careful. Even the so-called "upscale" grocers will fuck up now and then. And this was a nationally known grocer with a good reputation. Watch out.

I had lunch with my wife and some friends several years ago at a Wolfgang Puck's restaurant on Montana Ave. in Santa Monica (a very wealthy part of town) and one of the people we were with ordered a salad. I happened to notice after her salad came that there was an unused big copper staple (the kind that they use for stapling cartons shut) sitting right on the top. We told the waiter, showed him the staple, and he seemed totally disinterested. Didn't apologize, didn't offer to take the salad back, didn't even offer her a free desert. I was telling her to make a stink about it, just on principle, but she chose not to. I understand that things like this happen and it was probably not really anyone's fault, but no apology?

I understand that things like this happen and it was probably not really anyone's fault, but no apology?

Well, it was indeed someone's fault, as iron should be gotten from spinach or beef, methinks. Staples are aluminium, I know. I get where you're coming from, but a free something should have been offered, along with an apology from so-called management.

Mangement was probably out back blowin' a doob or something otherwise unrelated to making their establishment something other than a glorified crack-house that serves, for lack of a better term, food. I would have gotten up out of my chair, in dramatic fashion, and ripped them a new asshole. That's why none of you want to hang out with me!

And Wolfgang Puck's? That should be close to top end. Maybe you went to Don Rickles' Hockey Puck's?

I happened to notice after her salad came that there was an unused big copper staple (the kind that they use for stapling cartons shut) sitting right on the top.
Carol bit into one of those staples that was baked into a hamburger bun down in San Pedro. The people running the cafe were defensive, but I think that comes from years of people claiming to find shit in their food that they actually brought through the door in their pocket, trying to chisel a free meal, or worse, a little lawsuit for "damages" and "mental anguish."

Anyway, that was shortly after we moved down there, and we just voted with our feet, as the kids say, and stopped going there (BEACH CITY GRILL).

Yes, I was pissed that some cockface had baked a staple into my girl's bun, so to speak, but honestly, my philosophy is if you don't want staples or dirt or bugs or tampon strings in your food, eat at home. Swallowing weird shit is just part of eating out, and most of the time it's just going to slide down unnoticed anyway.

Bon apetit!

Only Caesar`Salad with Balsamicodressing but I`m not a Weight Watcher
If not a weight watcher, what are you ? I say that because even me who is a girl and who is said not to eat enough, couldn't content myself with a mere salad !

Carol bit into my philosophy is if you don't want staples or dirt or bugs or tampon strings in your food, eat at home.
Yes ! Or bring your own food outside. That's what I do everyday where I work, tupperwares are my best friends, there's a fridge and a microwave, perfect ! I'm very suspicious about outer food, and that's usually not as tasty as a homemade meal. The rare times I have to buy something (because I'm too tired/lazy to prepare something in the evening, even a mere sandwich, shame on me), I often find it disgusting and sometimes feel sick. With friends, I try to avoid eating in restaurants, which is quite easy in so far as we generally reunite in one's flat and each brings something to eat and to drink. The only thing I love doing outside is drinking in bars ! That's anyway the only place where I can drink alcohol !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back