Will it make my iPod? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK - Time to lighten up!
What? No drum & bass?
Still made number 1.......

9. The Wurzels: Combine Harvester

Erik;
That F-ed Up song hung on me like a horrible stench ever since I listened to it. Just this morning as I was having breakfast did I remember the words to the original song. You got me! Now I am laughing at myself as well.
I got a brand new pair of roller skates- that song sucks.

Thank you and have a nicer day. Good job on that. S.A.;)

yeah, I can see that. I never thought of it, but I think you're correct.
I wonder if NC is an influence.

If you're still refering to Tim Buckley I doubt it. If memory serves me correct he drowned before NC started music. In fact the Buckley both Tim his dad and Jeff could be one of the saddest oddist in music. HIs dad was an avantgarde folk singer with some incredible stuff (dolphins in the sea is my fav and this weeks pick) but he died of a herion overdose I belive and Tim drowned. He walke out into the ocean then got caught in a rip tide_I can't recall if they ever found his body.

no, we were talking about Dan Le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip.

but yes, the Buckley's were very talented and doomed. Jeff Buckley's Grace is one of my favourite cds of the '90's. he drowned in a river in Memphis while recording songs for My Sweetheart the Drunk.

Erik;
That F-ed Up song hung on me like a horrible stench ever since I listened to it. Just this morning as I was having breakfast did I remember the words to the original song. You got me! Now I am laughing at myself as well.
I got a brand new pair of roller skates- that song sucks.

Thank you and have a nicer day. Good job on that. S.A.;)
Believe me, I know how you feel. This is the kind of song that literally "sticks" in your head whether you like it or not.
Just like a bad smell.

Strange thing: I originally heard "Combine Harvester" while tuned in to Radio Luxembourg on a squeeky AM channel years & years & years ago.
I never bought the record, but it always stayed with me, in my head, for free. It struck a chord you might say.

I used to listen to Radio Lux a lot. It was all we had in the 70s, over here in Norway - how times have changed!
I didn't know the name of the song, or the band, just the hilarious lyrics:
"You're a fine looking woman, and I can't wait to get my hands on your land!"
Lots of other sexual hints in this song as well, like:
"I drove my tractor thru your haystack last night".
Now what does he REALLY mean?

Anyway, in recent years I've started looking up this type of song again. You know: the ones you have in your head but can't pin down with a name. The internet has made it possible to dig these ancient memories out of myth and back into reality. Its quite an interesting process. All you need is one of the words in the title and hey presto: the song has a name.

Anyway: now this song is stuck in your brain too!

PS: I like the singer's face at the start of the video. He's serious and concentrated for a few seconds, before the song starts.
Humor is hard, serious work. And then he shakes his head and turns on the charm - it looks so easy.

Some nice words in there as well:
- "ooo argh ooo argh"
- "scrumpy?" - sounds scrumptious!
- "gallivanting?" new one for me!
And the use of dialect is well done.

No doubt, there's a lot of talent and hard work behind this seemingly forgetable ditty.
And it beats Melanie's original "Brand New Key" by a light years.

If you ask me that is. :rolleyes:

It's that Southern Hemisphere. Their water spins the other way and so does everything else.

I went on medication to get off that -tie me kangaroo down- fucking song years ago. I think I need to go to urgent care.
Hahahahahahaha!

I believe that we have reached week 7. My pick for this week:

1) The Cramps -
The best version of this song ever.

my pick this week I can't find on youtube. If anyone can that would be swell.

6.) Tom Waits - Rosie

This is a beautiful song.
The Beats Farmers do a beautiful version of it as well.

I love Gene Vincent. There used to be an interview on youtube back from the late 1950s with local Vancouver, BC dj Red Robinson but I can't find it anymore.

And, of course, a further shuffle would have me back to Ian Dury doing Sweet Gene Vincent but last time I put up Ian I got called "obscure". So I won't, even though I am.
Digney

or

This one never fails me:

10. Tom Robinson Band:
The bass is sooo slow, but still works.

ok, last week in Europe started a movie about an Austrian musician named 'Falco'.
The movie wasn't too exciting, but reminded me of the musicians works.

He was the FIRST No.1-act in the US-charts with German language!
(and i think the only one, right?)

it was with this song (around 1984, i guess):

04. Falco: 'Rock Me Amadeus'

would make my i-pod this week, if i had one.

party0031.gif

That was apalling... in an hysterically funny kind of way. I'm sorry you've rekindled that memory.

no need to be sorry - i Loved that song when i was young and i still like it very much.

it is one possible way, to show kids, that classical music (even if only named here) isn't necessarily 'dry' but can be 'punk' in the context of its times. maybe this song was the start to open my mind for classical music before Bukowski did.

and, of course - i'm a little bit proud, that a song in my own language made it to no 1 in the US-charts. even though nobody there would understand the lyrics then.

well, anyway.
here's my new contribution:

07. TOM WAITS - HEART OF A SATURDAY NIGHT

(only version i found on youtube is a late live version. starts a little lame, but still is ok.:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hiW0PmjWdxM )

ps - just found another live version:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=S1o8UrF_kuI
the song starts at 4:44 !!

it is one possible way, to show kids, that classical music (even if only named here) isn't necessarily 'dry' but can be 'punk' in the context of its times.
I thought the movie Amadeus did that very well too. Though you'd probably have a hard time getting any kids to sit through it now. I think their average attention span is about 30 seconds these days. ;) Though it's probably always been that way, more or less.

I thought the movie Amadeus did that very well too. [...] you'd probably have a hard time getting any kids to sit through it now. I think their average attention span is about 30 seconds these days.

you're definitely right on that first part!
that was a movie, that did it for me too!
Definitely!

but - i would NOT agree that "the kids'" attention span is necessarily that low in general. it's a matter of: can you make up something that GETS them?!

still, Mr. Keating from 'Dead Poets Society' is my all time hero concerning that. still, i like to work as he did, when i teach at universities or high schools. - as He has taught me something.

when i think back to my times as a student. age 8, age 10, age 12, age 14 - most of these suckers, who were paid to be 'teachers' didn't even reach me. but sometimes, very rarely, there was one, who GOT me, who was able to raise 'fascination' for his subject. and all of a sudden - my marks were getting MUCH better.

we don't need different students - we DO need different teachers!
teachers, who can make you 'high' on their subject.

- how much is 2 euro-cent in dollars right now? 200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back