Will it make my iPod? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
3.) by The Blue Shadows. Billy Cowsill (yeh, from those Cowsills), Jeffrey Hatcher and the rest on a flatbed truck, Seymour St., Vancouver, BC, 1993. Outside a record store that doesn't exist anymore. The band fell apart shortly after this. And Billy died about two years ago. But the two cds go through my mind on occasion. Love the harmonies and even if production values are low fi here it still sounds good to me.

5. Frank Sinatra - Summer Wind

the song that turned me on to Sinatra, thanks to The Pope of Greenwich Village. the closing credits scene with Mickey Rourke and Eric Roberts playing stick ball. 1985? the next day I show up at the record store in my combat boots, torn jeans, Replacements t-shirt and hair down to my ass buying a Sinatra cassette.

that's the way I roll. ;)

Way to roll, Hooch! I like Sinatra too. Especially the albums, "Sinatra At The Sands w/Count Basie", and , "Frank Sinatra/The Main Event", not to mention footage with The Rat Pack...

6. the Smiths - the Queen is Dead

the guitar heroes thread got me thinking about Johnny Marr. and here he is at he buzzing, jangly best. and this song also confirmed the suspicions that Morrissey has a sense of humour. who knew?

This one just won't let go of my brain cells... it's something about the combination of a tragic, gritty story told in a childish pure voice. Magic.
7. Laura Cantrell - Sam Stone

John Prine song, right?

she does a good job. I like the bluegrass vibe. although Prine sang it like the words were being ripped from his chest, while she sounds almost cheery. I get what you're saying about the lyrics v. her voice, provides a bit of irony. or something?

don't mind me tonight, I'm feeling chatty. and that's rare. ;)

Yes, but somehow I like Laura's version better, something about the contrast. Try the Johnny Cash version I just added...

it takes very little convincing to sell me on Cash's version of any song. although he sounds a bit cheery also, which is rare. ;)

Agreed. Cheery without Laura's ironic tinge.
First thing I've ever heard of Laura Cantrell.
Gonna check her out.
First time I've heard Sam Stone as well, actually.

now I'll have to dig out The Hour of the Bewilderbeast. great cd.

good choice.

very good! thanks for the heads up. i like both of the artists but haven't heard this. i saw will oldham a couple years ago and he was fantastic.
here's another goodun' by him...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back