Buk Trivia... Answerer becomes next Questioner (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe 9?

Bukowski only issues:
  1. Legs, Hips And Behind
  2. Horses Don't Bet On People And Neither Do I
  3. Beauti-Ful
  4. People Poems

Special Bukowski sections:
  1. Grip The Walls
  2. Night's Work
  3. 55 Beds In The Same Direction
  4. Good-By To Hollywood
  5. Good Stuff

I feel like I'm missing a couple.

Okay, I kind of asked without knowing the answer. :D I had:

Grip the Walls 1964
Night's Work 1966
55 Beds in the Same Direction 1974
Legs, Hips and Behind 1978
Horses Don't Bet on People and Neither Do I 1984
Beauti-ful 1988
People Poems 1991

But hank solo is right if

Good-By To Hollywood
Good Stuff

are separately bound. That's what I was going for. So someone who has those two titles can confirm, or we can just assume hank solo is correct.

And that's why you shouldn't let me ask the questions!

But hank solo is right if

Good-By To Hollywood
Good Stuff

are separately bound. That's what I was going for. So someone who has those two titles can confirm, or we can just assume hank solo is correct.

And that's why you shouldn't let me ask the questions!

i confirm...

hank solo is thinking of an obscure Bukowski poem no one has ever heard of, nor knows the name of, nor its meaning or content, and about ready to come up with the exact right answer to the sound of sincere admiration and thunderous applause. ;)

Actually, I have here a fine three-part question from my nominated trivia guy - Purple Stickpin.
Take it away Purp:

Q: What did Buk bring to his mother while she was dying in the hospital, only to find that she had passed already?
What day of the year was it?
Who was with him?

Thanks Purp. And now folks, over to you :D

A rosary ?

Christmas day.

If he wasn't alone then it must've been with Jane.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, since it was my question, and HS must be snoring to beat the band about now (as I ought to be), here goes:

1. Yup. A rosary;
2. Could well be; it also could have been Christmas eve according to my source (a Buk book); so, we've got to give you that one - he may well have written it as Christmas day elsewhere;
3. Nope.

So very close, but no cigar, Bukfan; you've got to get all three parts correct. :mad:;)

Bill wins the kewpie doll. Or rather, 1/3 of the kewpie doll. Please send 2/3 of it to Bukfan. ;)

BTW, my source was a letter to John William Corrington on pg. 74 of Screams.... It seems to me he wrote about visiting his mother in the hospital elsewhere, but I can't remember where.

That too, but really, I just guessed on Fry(e). Without the answers to parts 1 and 2, I would have not guessed #3, anyway.

Bill

Ok, here's one for all our small press afficionados:

Who was the editor of "The Black Cat Review", back in the sixties?

OK. This is a tough one.

The rarest signed Bukowski book was not published by Black Sparrow Press. In fact, there were only 26 hardover, signed copies issued and they were signed by all contributors. There was also a wraps edition, and I do now know the limitation on that one. Name the book title or the publisher. I owned a copy once, but they are SOOO rare. None on abe, and I believe that I sold mine for about $1500 5 or 6 years ago.

HINT: The answer is NOT Bottle of Smoke Press....

Bill

p.s. Of course, I'm not talking about any of those early overrun copies like "Signature". This book was published many, many years later.

Damn, David. You are GOOD!

I was sure that no one would get it! Yes, there are three or four copies on abe in Paperback, but I have only ever seen one copy in Hardback in 10 years and sold it for about $1500. I'm not sure what one would go for today. I bet that at least 20 of the 26 are in institutions and not likely to come on the market any time soon. Per the colophon there were only 26 lettered and signed by all contributors. I seem to remember that all of the authors signed on one page.

Do you have a copy, David? If so, is it Hardback signed?

Best,
Bill

p.s. You are up. I can't wait to see the question that you come up with....

No, I have a paperback, but I seem to remember seeing a photo of a signed edition somewhere, but I don't know where. Perhaps in a library...It's a neat little book.
OK, this is a two-parter: What is the name [give both long and short versions] of the publication printed in Heidelberg by Carl Weissner which published Ginsberg, Burroughs, Norse, Bukowski....and where does this long, funny title come from?

Excellent! You're up!

Well, actually "Klactoveedsedsteen", short "Klacto". Can you spell Mississippi? OK, sorry...!

He wrote a poem full of refrences and comparisons to dogs and it is ultimately about one of his great loves.
What poem and what great love?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back