Buk Trivia... Answerer becomes next Questioner (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, OK. There is probably some unofficial rule that you have to produce the specific poem the asker wants and not another one that just happens to meet the criteria. :)

Just for the record, and because it's a cool poem, here it is in its entirety. Good luck to all in finding the right answer to Mr. Gerard's question.

Eulogy To A Hell Of A Dame

some dogs who sleep at night
must dream of bones
and I remember your bones
in flesh
and best
in that dark green dress
and those high-heeled bright
black shoes,
you always cursed when you drank,
your hair coming down you
wanted to explode out of
what was holding you:
rotten memories of a
rotten
past, and
you finally got
out
by dying,
leaving me with the
rotten
present;
you've been dead
28 years
yet I remember you
better than any of
the rest;
you were the only one
who understood
the futility of the
arrangement of
life;
all the others were only
displeased with
trivial segments,
carped
nonsensically about
nonsense;
Jane, you were
killed by
knowing too much.
here's a drink
to your bones
that
this dog
still
dreams about.

Not that one. I think I'm looking at a newer poem.

Oh, OK. There is probably some unofficial rule that you have to produce the specific poem the asker wants and not another one that just happens to meet the criteria. :)

Just for the record, and because it's a cool poem, here it is in its entirety. Good luck to all in finding the right answer to Mr. Gerard's question.

Since Buk writes: "...you've been dead 28 years..." and Jane died in 1962, that would date this poem to circa 1990. That's just about as new as they come.

Since Buk writes: "...you've been dead 28 years..." and Jane died in 1962, that would date this poem to circa 1990. That's just about as new as they come.

something is amiss here. this poem was written between 1981 and 1984 because it's in "war all the time-poems 81-84". if jane did indeed die in 1962, as ps and the timeline say, then i guess buk just made up that number of years that jane has been dead in the poem? hmm...

ok, carry on...:)

Yeah, you know, I thought I had read it somewhere in an earlier book, but my memory isn't what it once was. Could Jane have died in '56? It seems there's enough to suggest no; most likely Buk was just using a relatively large number to denote "a long time ago."

In any case, back to Gerard's question.

No. I have given you enough to find it. If I give the line I like best then Hank solo will get it in seconds. It does not have dogs in the title. It is not about L.King.

You know for a cat person Bukowski seemed to cite dogs in a nice light quite a bit.

What are you saying? That Hank Solo is smarter than me?:(

Is it the poem "I Love Corgis" from the volume Corgis are Dogs from Heaven edicated to Buk's most intense love affair, Dee Dee ("Corgi") Donovan?

Poems by Buk with Dogs in the Title:
"Dead Dog"
"Dog"
"The Dog"
"Dog Fight"
"Dogs"
"The Dogs"
"The Dogs of Egypt"

Sorry, I'm going on a tear. I'll go lie down on the rug and chew a bone.

(snip...) It does not have dogs in the title. It is not about L.King.

You know for a cat person Bukowski seemed to cite dogs in a nice light quite a bit.

hank solo or should I say, our dear hank solo may very well know everything Charles Bukowski ever wrote. Just wait 'til he answers this simple question.
But we do think the world of you David.:):D

David, stay off the furniture.

I swear, sometimes he thinks he's people.

atta boy.

;)

"pain like a black-and white snapshot," p. 176, The Night Torn Mad with Corgis.....I mean...Footsteps"?

Oh, and the great love must be Jane since "you've been dead for 30 years" but he says he was only 23...Was he that young when he met Jane?:confused:

No, it must be the "300-pound whore" according to the timeline!

David said:
No, it must be the "300-pound whore" according to the timeline!

According to Sounes:rolleyes:
he met Jane in 48,
so he was 28.

I don't think the 300-pound whore left him with his guts bleeding in the avenue
while the swan circled on the pond watching...
unless she sat on him!

So Jane sounds right

Yeah, and there's a swan in there too! ;)Hey Gerard, we gotta get credit, even if we're wrong!

Of course you are right. I am real easy I focus on one book at a time and I seem to show that in my signature.

I like that poem, although he says that bitch took a bite out of me. It had to have been Jane. That poem is only in that book- according to the Works database.
You are it David. :)

Cats and dogs, as we have seen, figure prominently in Bukowski's work. Name five other creatures which commonly appear in his writing.

tarantulas, mockingbirds...OK, Father Luke, although "landladies" are debatable, I guess they could be considered creatures....You got it!

yes, bospress, spiders and flies I was thinking too....

Okay, thanks David.

Here's yur question. . .

Together, these twenty one words are the saddest
he'd ever heard. What are they?

I left my book at home, so someone else will answer this question before I get home to check it out.

Well that's 21 words anyway.;)

Gerard... good question!

PRS
is where Buk and Linda were married in '85, located
at 3910 Los Feliz Blvd., L.A.... I've been there many times over
the years because of its historic library, with its metaphysical
book collection going back over 500 years. It's still there and
happens to be in fairly close proximity to where I lived for almost
19 years (Silver Lake).

Next question:

Who's the man who conducted Buk and Linda's marriage ceremony?

Attachments

• PRS.gif
    PRS.gif
    18.1 KB · Views: 160
Nope... but he would have been good! (They were too worried
that he might do cake farting at the reception afterwards.) ;)

What's this about?

(he) reached down, picked it up, put it in his front pocket. It felt warm and full of grace. Hail Mary.

What's the title?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back