Buk Trivia... Answerer becomes next Questioner (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a good question GKHL. I guess no one wants to think of the next question :D

WAS? You mean it was a good question like I am eliminated.

The question does contain the actual words from a work (except the name was removed) so many of you could get it from that.

hank solo are you not allowed to play?;)

ok, isn't this the piece where Buk goes with this guy to get his hair cut and eventually push's the guy into the front of a bus or something? then takes the guys wallet and goes and buys steaks and beers till he is thrown out of the diner? I Don't have the name of it and my books are packed. so....... (maybe in "notes"?)

Ok my books are still packed. so a simple question just to get this monkey off my back... In the movie "BARFLY" what was the name of the bar where Chinaski and Wanda meet?

In the episode #51 of the tapes
bukowski reads a poem. What poem is it and from what book?

Hooch, my grammar! is it which poem...?

The crunch. Love is a dog from hell.

If you want to be clear it might work to write:

In episode #51 of the tapes, Bukowski reads a poem. What book does he read it from, and which poem is it ?

Yes, I was thinking of "Berich Bernkastel Riesling---put out by Havenmeyer---Produce of Germany---a white moselle" that he mentions in a March 5, 1978 letter to his "Uncle Heinrich." So I guess Purple Stickpin and Black Swan are both right! Do you guys want to flip a coin? :)

Liebfraumilch or liebfraumich?

Liebfraumich german white wine, Musso would order cases of it for Buk (google).

My aunts drank that stuff on family birthday parties 3 decades ago.
As far as I know it is a low quality wine.

Perhaps wine expert Harry or one of the German members can clear this up.

Yes, I'm also not sure about that. I think when he met Linda and became more financially stable, he would get the better German whites, namely the Bernkastler. But can't tell you whether he preferred the Kabinett, Spatlese, or Auslese....;)

Liebfraumich or Liebfraumilch?
Perhaps wine expert Harry or one of the German members can clear this up.

I'm not German, but I lived there for 5 years, so hopefully I can help.

I'm pretty sure it's "Liebfraumilch", which would mean something to the effect of "beloved lady milk" in english.

"Liebfraumich" would translate to something that doesn't really make sense, like "beloved lady me"?

I hope that's correct.

Well, I am wondering Liebfraumich also exist. I also speak German and as you know mich is also a German word but you're right it doesn't make sense in this sentence.

OK, back to it. This thread is so long it's hard to know all the questions that have been asked. But anyway:

What piece of music was Buk listening to when the FBI showed up to take him in when he was in Philadelphia?

uh, please check again. he was arrested by the FBI when "the 2nd movement of brahms' 2nd symphony" was playing - the second movement is the adagio non troppo, for those who happen to be familiar with that symphony; I just put it that way.... quote is from WW2 page 93 of mockingbird, unless he has more than one version of his arrest. In any event, I stand by my answer - that's why I posted the link so readers could hear part of what Bukowski was listening to when the feds knocked on his door (if this account is true).

Well, poptop, your source is different from mine. Mine is a letter to Jon and Louise Webb, dated February 28, 1966, found on page 240 of Screams From the Balcony. In that letter, he says he was listening to Brahms' First.

So, typical of Buk, the story is a little bit different each time. Not that the real answer is very important, but I would suspect that the 1996 letter might be more reliable than a poem, but I suppose it depends on how drunk he was writing the letter vs. writing the poem. Or maybe it was neither, and it was just mentioned for literary effect. For all we know, he could just as well have been taking a hot, stinking beer shit and listening to the Brandenburg Concertos when the FBI showed up.

So anyway, while I am familiar with that Symphony, but don't really care for Brahms, and my opinion is entirely irrelevant, your answer is at least found in Buk's writings.

Next question's yours...

Forgive me for jumping in here, but this raises a question which I've wondered about, a trap we all fall into in thinking Buk himself and his character (s) are the same. As you say, maybe he wasn't listening to music at all that day, or maybe he was actually listening to Stravinsky, or maybe he really was never arrested....It's how he writes that we love...Heck, imagine Buk writing about "What I did during my Summer Vacation...." :)

It is how he writes that we love. Which brings up that other old question about how John Martin edited Buk's poems. Reading earlier magazine/small press versions and then the BSP versions, I'm very distressed by how JM edited some of Buk's work.:mad:

So we have Buk contradicting himself, and JM changing the words. It's amazing that Buk doesn't read more like Thomas Wolfe. ;)

Well, I'll be darned. I was only surmising there may have been two versions. Unless one consults the Ouiji board and asks Bukowski directly, it appears that the most anyone can say is that he was probably listening to Brahms. According to his own words, we were both right and should split the cigar (perhaps with a nice something to drink as well). ;)

New question:

What word processing software was Bukowski using to do his writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back