The Boozers Thread (1 Viewer)

when I'm flush I like Laphroaig, no ice (fuck no), no water. straight, let's call it.
Does Laphroaig sell branch water? that's the only thing I'd consider adding to that. Anything else is blasphemy for a scotch you're paying $65 for.

As for all these liquors that you drink with coke or 7up or whatever - I never understood that. Is that to choke it down because it sucks so bad in its plain state? ;)

Every now and again?
A welcome friend was Thunderbird.

thunderbird10fm.jpg

Worked with a guy that would drink a quart of the American Classic Thunderbird at lunch building mobile homes. The quality was built in-no one said what level of quality.

Cool and refreshing Thunderbird wine.

Certain things are made strictly to fuck you up, and Thunderbird is one of them. Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes you need the maximum fucking up for your dollar. I'm sure we have all been there.

As I was finishing up mopping the kitchen floor....I noticed it was well past noon...And right there on the counter, within reach... a bottle of Carlo Rossi Chianti. Oh sure it is not the best, it might not even be anygood at all, but over forty days of waiting. It was like the nectar of (low level) kings. It sure is several steps ahead of Thunderbird.
As mjp says: The maximum fucking up for your dollar. Well Carlo Rossi spares you some of the rot gut.
So if I may quote the late great James Brown " I FEEL GOOD" then tomorrow I just may wake up in a cold sweat.

When I was a teenager I had a job at a liquor store stocking shelves and cleaning up at night. The two big wino drinks were Thunderbird and Night Train. Ripple was too pricey.

Don't remember if I ever actually tried them. Don't think that I would want to.

Do they even make Night Train anymore?

in high school we used to drink alot of ripple, Boones farm "apple jack" and a sickening sweet tahican (sp?) wine called Bali Hai. man, you talk about puking!

Do they even make Night Train anymore?

Night Train Express.
17.5% alc. by vol.

Ahhh.
Finest kind.

Add Pepsi with a twist of Lemon and call it a
Sleeper Car.

Another fine wine (See Thunderbird above)
from Ernest and Julio Gallo. I love those boys.
They also make Black Swan.

A drinking buddy of mine used to crumble a little
seltzer in it, and called the mix a hobo cocktail.

Drink up. He'd say. It will cause a headache and
cure it at the same time.

Good times.

Still available. Or just buy some bleach and throw
in purple Food coloring. Same thing.

2353819038_c38b53a57d_o.jpg

Night Train Express Fortified, is still available.

When I was in my early 20s I became fond of mixing cream with scotch. Didn't drink it for breakfast, but I drank a bunch of it and had the rubber tire to prove it. I dubbed the mixture of cream and scotch "Crotch," but a bartender's guide told me that it was called "Blood and Sand."

Right now, I have a bunch of great red wine to drink, but perversely I've been drinking an India Pale Ale called Longhammer. I'm also interested in hoochmonkey's idea of drinking when you're flush versus when the wolf is at your door. Love the cognac and the expensive old red wines, but when the chips are down:

Hooch is right, the South American wines are the best buys around. If you can find Falling Star in your area, you can't beat it: Merlot/Malbec or Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon for $5.99 a bottle, screwcap. And if you want the best cheap brandy anywhere, go for a French item called Jacques Cardin. Eight bucks a bottle and it doesn't have that nasty vanilla aftertaste that all the American brandies have.

More later. Gerard just pointed me toward this thread and I was grateful and felt obligated to throw in my one cent's worth.

Last night I mixed some WD40 into my screwdriver. I hate the way that shit smells but it don't taste to bad. And whoa... talk about greasin' the springs!

Last night I mixed some WD40 into my screwdriver. I hate the way that shit smells but it don't taste to bad. And whoa... talk about greasin' the springs!

WD40 works great as a pain reliever, I've found.

When I read that first time, I thought it said you mixed MD20/20 into a screwdriver. I thought that was odd, but WD40? That's really odd. :D

Stay away from the anti-freeze.

in New York City
where it gets colder
and they are hunted by their own
kind, these men often crawl under car radiators,
drink the anti-freeze,
get warm and grateful for some minutes, then
die.
another academy​

Does Laphroaig sell branch water? that's the only thing I'd consider adding to that. Anything else is blasphemy for a scotch you're paying $65 for.

3-5 drops off of the index finger.

The good wife and I considered opening an internet business selling source water from the major distilleries in Scotland. A very high-end market and a great deal of red tape actually obtaining said water. So there it is, if anyone wants to steal our idea.

Balvenie Double Wood 12 years old. In a very clean glass.

Very good stuff. Like Tupelo honey that gets ya messed up. A very differnet taste, but fantastic, is Lagavulin. Like drinking a peaty bonfire.

WD40 works great as a pain reliever, I've found.

I have a pretty bad back sometimes, and rubbing
WD40 on it works when nothing else will.

Weird but true, and I can't imagine the health
hazards. . .

The main constituent of WD40 is mineral spirits, which is a moderately light petroleum fraction. It likely contains many of the same petroleum constituents as gasoline, although mineral spirits does not have the aromatic fraction that is found in gasoline (benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, xylenes, naphthalenes). So it is mainly aliphatic hydrocarbons plus some other proprietary ingredients.

An old boss of mine said that it contains dichloromethane, although I have been unabel to confirm that.

My advice: spray it on a rusted bolt, not on your skin or in your drink. But hey, that's just me.:)

"My advice: spray it on a rusted bolt, not on your skin or in your drink."

Sorry you went to all the trouble to type all that stuff out there. I was only joking eh.

I DRINK EVERY DAY. Always beer. If I drank liquor at this rate I would die. Although I am getting fat. Screwdrivers sound terribly healthy.

I like the smell of wd40. Always felt weird about that.

I spent the better part of 12 months -- September '06 through November '07 -- perched on a bar stool every day. Vesuvio in North Beach, also known as Kerouac's bar, across the alley from City Lights Books. Got a lot of reading done. A lot of drinking too. My morning wake-up drink was a Bailey's and coffee and a screwdriver in a bucket glass. My favorite bartender invented a name for the combo: Fists of Fury.

I drink everyday too. But I have learned to be moderate.
I'll have a porto before dinner, never drink before 6. With dinner 1-2 glasses of dry red wine. Sometimes a treat with a digestive.

In the summer heat I like to drink a couple of beers in the sun. A glass of cold white wine, with ice occasionally.

That's it for me...

I've seen Bukowski days...but that was then...

I don't touch any wine or Jack Daniel's and dark beer.

Favorites are beer, whisky, vodka and an occasional cognac...
I have my (de)tours from time to time...

anything but bacardi rum, that has given me the worst emotional drunk ever.
i'm very versitile when it comes to drink, i hate to drinkt he same shit two days in a row. i go with beer usually, pbr pounders more then others whem i'm brole. once a weak i'll get a bottle of some sort of decent cheap red wine. since i've started drink i'm always trying a new decent priced beer. i love whiskey, rum and gin but my dad kicks me out of the house for weeks when i bring it in.

Ya know Wanda, I think you did, no, wait, no you didn't, op wait, I see now just above that you actually did. What's the top left arm tat of?

pearice510.jpg

Out and about I knock back JD and Coke, I just don't fancy beer anymore.

Me either. Actually, a couple days ago I said to me mate after drinking a bourbon brown beer from the brewery up the street, "Wow, sometimes I forget how much I just don't like beer anymore."

She replied, "Good. More for me."

There ya have it.

I do beer A LOT. Watch my profile for the brand I like. Besides that, there's a very popular and local drink here, called 'Medio y medio' (Half & Half): half white wine and half champagne. Your mind explodes.

I go with single malts whenever somebody is willing to chip in for 'em. But for maintenance work (the 1.75 liter kind of stuff) Clan MacGregor is not bad.

A great friend invited me to try some Macallen (cask to bottle- cask strength) the best scotch I've had to date. The lable recomends a splash a water to bring out the flavor. 56.8% alc. and after three nice shots I felt like I could perform brain surgery. No hangover unless that's why I feel tired today ,this being two days later.:D

It was $60 a bottle. Macallan

MaCallan is pretty good; the special bottles are better, of course. The problem is, somehow it became so popular and a benchmark, so the prices have become more than unreasonable. The 18 year is something like $140,which is way overpriced.

For $60, a nice bottle of Lagavulin or a 15 year Laphroaig is far better to me. Of course it's 95 degrees today, so it's beer and sparkling white wine tonight for me.

For $60, a nice bottle of Lagavulin or a 15 year Laphroaig is far better to me. Of course it's 95 degrees today, so it's beer and sparkling white wine tonight for me.

Laphroaig is a lowland scotch and has that peat flavor to it. All scotch is good in a medicinal way.
I just got a phone call from my sons best friend to go to his house for a bar-b -que -and we have a bottle of Blue Label Johnnie Walker!(talk about over-priced) Come on over for a drink. I have to go now. What a great way to celebrate his completion of US Navy boot-camp.
The rest of you-Have a nice day.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back