TV series (2 Viewers)

Thanks. Alas, I don't have a spotify-account.

Also, from what I've seen on youtube, I doubt that these dark gems are on the soundtracks. There are whole collections there, claiming to be 'Stranger-Things'-Soundtracks (or related stuff, which is fine). But as I said, though I dig some of this music (like The Clash):

What I'm after are those athmospheric, soundscore-like, brute forces they play at some of the later end-credits. (that is: Not 'Ghostbusters' from the end of ep2, even though I liked that nod.)

The soundtracks on spotify are composed by Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein, not the songs from the era. It's the stuff you are looking for. I don't pay for spotify, I listen to it free. I have to put up with ads and can't skip songs, etc.

6 episodes in.
I'm fond of the dark, uncomfortable music/ soundscore things they play at the end-credits of some episodes.
On youtube I only can find all the many regular 80s-songs from the series. Nothing against that.
But I am looking for those dark soundbits, that come like a mixture of Badalamenti/Lynch and the latest Cave.
Anyone?
Stranger Things 2 Soundtrack. v good.

Stranger Things 2 Soundtrack. v good.

thanks Philly, my man too.
Unfortunately I get this:
youtube-error.jpg

Ah, well ...

By the way, having seen all episodes, I must admit, I didn't like the second season as much.
The reason:
. Season 1 = E.T. + The X-Files (which I found charming)
. Season 2 = Alien 2 + your next best horror movie (which didn't catch me much)

Twin Peaks - The Return (S03)
only 3 ep left.

It's a bit annoying, how very hard Lynch forces to appear "strange", but there are also moments, that blow your mind like a true piece of art.

It's a bit annoying
Or more than a bit annoying.

I really liked Twin Peaks in '90/'91, but re-watching it before "the return" I can't say that it's aged well. Television has changed so radically, that what seemed unique and quirky and interesting on Twin Peaks in 1990 almost seems like a clumsy parody now. The return was mostly useless and a waste of time that just left me feeling Lynchboned when it was all said and done. Episode 8 ("Gotta light?") being the exception.

peaks.jpg

Speaking of feeling boned, I seem to recall that just about everyone had that feeling when the series ended in 1991 (a friend called just after the series finale, I picked up the phone and said hello and the first thing she said was, "Fuck you, David Lynch!"). So maybe the thought was that the return would fix some of that - that was my thought anyway - but of course the return really had nothing to do with the original series, so all it did was make the overall story more convoluted and pointless.

just left me feeling Lynchboned when it was all said and done. Episode 8 ("Gotta light?") being the exception
to me, ep8 was especially annoying.
It SCREAMED: "Look, how original and out of context and artsy I can be!"

Another thing I despise are the uncounted references to 'Lost Highway', 'Mulholland Drive', 'Eraserhead', 'Blue Velvet', all of which I did Not like.
[p.s.: the pic you posted, mjp, seemed to me like one reference to the aestetics of 'Erasurehead'.]

Yes, the original series from 1990 is way outdated now. Of course it is.
So is "The X-files" or "The Prisoner". So is Shakespeare and Botticelli.
Everything has its value only in relation to its own times. (and only if you recognize this, it can still be timeless.)

I didn't even like the pilot of 'Twin Peaks' back then, when I first saw it. I found it stupid. Only a little later I found my way to appreciate it.

And I still like the movie ('Fire Walk With Me') the Best of the whole frenchise, even though I hated it, when I first saw it in the theatre.

Just watched the first episode of The Deuce. Hey, it's David Simon & George Pelecanos & on & on & on.... so far so good

I have been watching Cardinal season 1 (6 episodes) and now season 2
It is a series set in Northern Ontario, a thriller, very well made, good actors and music. I am recording every episode. It is on CTV.
Maybe you can watch the first season on youtube.

I just finished the first season of Sense8, the Wachowski's series for Netflix. I started watching it because someone I know hated it so much that he talked about hating it for weeks. I'm not normally big on "sci-fi," but anything that can inspire that kind of hatred has to have something going for it.

I know it was canceled after two seasons (and I think they made a two hour "wrap-up" episode after fans revolted at news of the cancellation), so I figured if it was really awful I'd just sample it and drop it. But I like it. There are a million stupid things about it, but there are a lot of great things about it too.

The casting looks a little United Colors of Benetton, I know, but the stories that take place outside the U.S. are the best parts. The Nairobi story in particular. They also filmed in Korea, Iceland and India, and the locations really play into the stories. There is a scene, or a series of scenes, that take place in Iceland that will kill you dead if you have even the tiniest sliver of heart.

Maybe I'll watch season 2 and change my mind about the whole thing, but thumbs up for season 1.

s8.jpg

making an effort to end season 3.
it's been lasting almost a year.
for some reason i didn't get twin peaks.
it reminds me of bukowski when he said:
they bored me... trees, greenness, it's like: green trees, green trees, green trees.

I rewatched the original seasons before the 3rd season came out in 2017, and I didn't feel like it held up. Part of its appeal in 1990 was that it was so weird and unlike anything else on TV. But by 2017, the original was just another weird old show in a sea of weird new shows.

It reminded me of "weird" movies like Liquid Sky that I was enamored with back in the 80s. I saw 10 minutes of that a couple of months ago and it's awful. Now, in retrospect. It was probably awful when I watched the VHS tape half a dozen times, but in the context of other movies at the time, it was something cool and different.

It's definitely a product of its time. I think that, like they usually say about the show, it inspired a lot of the shows we see today, in the sense that it's more of a long movie than a TV show. The first season still holds up, in my opinion. The second one is a slog to get through, but has its moments toward the end. The third one is pure David Lynch madness, and kind of a big middle finger to anyone who wanted closure on the show. The best thing about Twin Peaks for me is the prequel movie, Fire Walk WIth Me, which I see as sort of a horror movie.

All of what Aficionado37 just said.
(esp. his liking "Fire Walk With Me", which was a great psycho(logical)-movie, underestimated by critics and audience alike.)

Also:

You always need to watch (or listen to) a piece of art in the context of its own time.
Else, there's nothing revolutionary about Van Gogh, Beethoven, The Godfather, Galilei, Matrix or Punk.

What I dislike about parts of the 3rd season (and Lynch in general) is this "oh, look how crazy and artsy my creative act is!"-attitude.

What I dislike about parts of the 3rd season (and Lynch in general) is this "oh, look how crazy and artsy my creative act is!"-attitude.

I used to be one of those people that think "Wow this is weird and I can't understand it, therefore it must be DEEP (and I'm probably dumb)!" Then I read Bukowski. I still enjoy some of Lynch's movies (Eraserhead is an all-time favorite) and surrealist art in general, but it's sometimes hard to take seriously. It's a mighty fine line between twisted fun/horror and pretentious gibberish with surrealist works. I think MJP did an episode on his podcast about this specifically (including Lynch).

I think MJP did an episode on his podcast about this specifically (including Lynch).
It was called, "Twin Peaks and David Lynch, Non-album B-sides, Orange Is the New Black and Kathy Griffin."

Everyone claims to like David Lynch movies, but I wonder how many of those people actually watch them. Because honestly, that shit can be hard to sit through. When I was in my 20s some of my friends said, “Oh, you have to see ERASERHEAD!” So I went down to King Video and browsed through the racks of VHS tapes, and took it home to watch it. The first time I fell asleep, but I thought, well, I was just tired or too drunk or something, so I tried it again and I fell asleep again. Now back in those days you only had the movie for a couple days, then you had to bring it back. But I thought, well, if this is everything it’s cracked up to be, it will be worth a late fee to see it, so I hung on to it and tried it again.

I got through it the third time, but after I did I didn’t feel as if I’d just witnessed greatness. It was weird, sure. And I like the girl who came out of the radiator and sang, “In heaven, everything is fine,” but other than that, the long, pointless shots wore me down, and the story, such as it was, didn’t do anything for me. So I brought the tape back and paid the late fee and asked my friends who’d recommended the movie what the hell was wrong with them. One of them said, “Oh, you didn’t really watch that, did you? Ha ha ha.” So I guess they showed me. And I like weird, just give me something in there, weird just for the sake of weird isn’t weird, it’s stupid.

I have a sister that paints nails for a living, and she charges extra for 'nail art' - drawing a camel, or a santa on christmas. I've never saw a Lynch movie, and it's strange because his one of the great American directors and I've seen many of them, but never him. What I did see, was a movie about his "art" and his "meditation" and both of them were equally bullshit, the meditation one was hyper bullshit, TM is the greatest scam, well, meditation is a scam, but TM is the holy scam, this one actually takes you money to learn two words. His artistic movie, I had to jump parts, because he was just telling stories of childhood, like, an excuse to make a dramatic painting. The only good thing I've seen so far, was the hair, great hair.

I had been posting my TV recommendations on the movies thread and I apologize. I'll start posting my TV recommendations here.

I've been watching a show called Doom Patrol. If you don’t mind a show that involves superheroes, outlandish plots such as an entire town being swallowed into a void inside a literal donkey, and some TV quality special effects, the show is surprisingly entertaining and actually deals with very human topics.

Along with Watchmen and The Boys, it's one of the best shows out there right now that just happens to have superheroes

I really like the show. It's been a while since I've watched an episode, though. I'm at the start of season 5 I think. They tell me it stops being good after Netflix picked up the show (can't remember what season that is, but I think it's season 7). Is that true?

I loved every single episode. Some more than others, of course.

The animated show may be a bit much, and a second season is about to drop soon. I prefer the live action stuff, to be honest.

What I liked most about Trailer Park Boys was John Dunsworth- he played the character Mr Lahey, the trailer park supervisor, real good drunk performance, actually the best on cinema, far better than Frank's Shameless. The guy had a very rough life, you can tell if you see him out-of-character, lot of suicides in his family; he haves a youtube video about his hobby, cement work, I like the guy, reminds me of someone. Most people try to beat death in life, that was his way: cement... not a bad way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back