What are you writing now? - and other stuff... (1 Viewer)

Hi there

Thought I'd start a thread that would get creative juices flowing.
What, if anything, are you writing at the moment. Are you developing a novel, a reference book, an essay, a poem? Whatever it is, it would be interesting to see what fellow buk lovers actually write themselves and how heavily influenced they are by the great author/poet.

I am currently between a few projects, one of which has been on the PC for years.
I used to suffer from severe panic disorder which rendered me pretty useless outside these four walls, but I have been walking the long road to recovery for a while, so my first peice I am working on is highly influenced by those feelings and events. Very angry and at times disturbed work.
I am also compiling many of the poems I have written over the past 18 or so years, and finally a novel about a group of friends which has comical and at times horrific scenes.

How about you?

Since i'm in between jobs at the moment I have plenty of time on my hands, oddly my output has dwindled significantly. I'm at a crossroads having finished the second draft of a novella, I have let it stew for a while whilst I have started work on a second long form piece which I have just drafted out.

writing for me at the moment is a tiny CVS brand composition notebook i carry around with me with my lists because lately i seem to be forgetting thing in my head an awful lot......

man, i'm getting old. :eek:

I write short stories, had a big streak early this summer but I'm too involved in moving now. I keep writing cd and live reviews for a local rock magazine, though.

lol, very creative:D

Are there any decent writing websites? I used to be a part of a group and found it nauseating. All up each others arses. I found the same with the websites I've visited. I'm hoping there is something out there with less pretention and more productive and constructive criticism.

Never mind if not, I just enjoy writing alone anyway.

Thanks FL. Checking out the former, it looks like a good, productive site. I will continue to peruse.
Have'nt checked the latter yet but will do soon
regards
Jack

I write with oil colors on canvas
and use poetry as a muse
that is when I am not removing paint from old furniture
I have a small antique shop.

Father Luke.

I think that the former of your suggestions are a little too wrapped up in their own little world. They all seem to know each other and lick each others bumholes. Anyone reading this who is thinking of getting critique for their work should avoid this site.
Just thought it worth mentioning.

Regards

Yeah. I came to that conclusion when I got a letter telling me that my
introduction came off a little unrefined for their tastes, and it was being
deleted.

Pretty funny.

I had some fun over at Chuck Palahnuik's Site - The Cult,
before Dennis made it a pay as you play site. I still go there.

I wrote some stuff I still like when I was there. Rough and tumble kids,
for the most part, not afraid of mixing it up, or saying (writing) four letter
words, and feeling raw emotions. Sort of like a lye enema. Great place. I love it.

Unlike some ladies tea society places I know.
No names, of course.

yeah, i spent a fair amount of time at literary mary. got a good reception when i first started posting. but i got tired of the taste of my own bee hind. so i don't go there much anymore.
i should've trusted my instincts and stayed away from writing forums. writing is a solitary thing. write it, send it out. if it comes back, tweak it (or don't) and send it out again.
just my opinion.

the person who does literary mary posted here for a little while. something about how myspace was vapid and for attention whores. she bugged me, to be honest. i agree with hoochmonkey... i'm probably a better songwriter than i am a writer writer, and i approach both with the same idea- writing what i think i would enjoy listening to or reading. i've had a bunch of people tell me my writing is flat, but i don't want to change it to avoid the criticism, because then i feel like i'm trying to write a certain way (not flat?), rather than just writing how i write. i do appreciate getting criticism to the effect of, "i don't think this line works" or something like that, but i'd rather just revise a poem 20 times myself than have people on a website poke at it.

this probably sounds way more pretentious and self satisfied than i intend it...

...i should've trusted my instincts and stayed away from writing forums. writing is a solitary thing. write it, send it out. if it comes back, tweak it (or don't) and send it out again.
just my opinion.

...i'd rather just revise a poem 20 times myself than have people on a website poke at it.

this probably sounds way more pretentious and self satisfied than i intend it...

Big ten four on all those sentiments.

Plus, Over at the Palahniuk site, it's gotten so commercial.
Too much so for me. Navigation can be complicated there.

There are Usenet groups, also:

misc.writing
alt.writing

Among others.

The solitary life is all it's cracked up to be, but community is something
solitary folk seek out occasionally. Hard to find good ones like this heah joint,
here heah.

Like I said, I keep looking.

i can't crap too much on LM, cuz they treated me well, and my reasons for not going there much anymore have to do with me and how i feel about writing groups/writing courses and not them.
christ, life would be a lot easier if a publisher offered me $100 a month, uh say $500, to just write...mr. martin, care to come out of retirement?

One of the things Bukowski taught me is I'm not a writer. So I've written lots, but it doesn't really pour out of me. However, I do like getting things down in my blog ... if that counts.

sorry for kicking up this thread, but i keep getting links to it from people who run into it and all the lovely bashing you're doing of my site, www.LiteraryMary.com.

all i can say is i do not nor have i ever enjoyed the taste of ass, and although i have had a cup of earl grey tea i did not enjoy it.

mary is far from a lady's tea society, father luke. honestly, i never really understood what made you get so upset with us/me/whoever.

i stand behind the critique people there leave and stand behind the idea that critique does not have to be rude to be productive. we have a lot of excellent fiction and poetry writers on the site who are not afraid to be truthful. however, we do not cater to only one level of writer, therefore some critique will be more productive than other critique.

gangfuck ladies auxillery group???

and hooch, thanks for not crapping on us too much.

i've always been a fan of buk.net and have plugged it as much as i possibly could. i still am a fan of the site and will continue to be.

anyway, we're still accepting submissions until July 31st. it's shaping up to be a good journal. you don't have to be a member of the forum to submit. we are just looking for good writing. we were recently listed on duotrope also.

and for anyone who is reading this who might have sent me a link. it's not necessary. obviously i've seen it.

jen

sorry for kicking up this thread, but i keep getting links to it from people who run into it and all the lovely bashing you're doing of my site, www.LiteraryMary.com.

all i can say is i do not nor have i ever enjoyed the taste of ass, and although i have had a cup of earl grey tea i did not enjoy it.

mary is far from a lady's tea society, father luke. honestly, i never really understood what made you get so upset with us/me/whoever.

Oh, I rather think that you do.

i stand behind the critique people there leave and stand behind the idea that critique does not have to be rude to be productive. we have a lot of excellent fiction and poetry writers on the site who are not afraid to be truthful. however, we do not cater to only one level of writer, therefore some critique will be more productive than other critique.

gangfuck ladies auxillery group???

and hooch, thanks for not crapping on us too much.

i've always been a fan of buk.net and have plugged it as much as i possibly could. i still am a fan of the site and will continue to be.

anyway, we're still accepting submissions until July 31st. it's shaping up to be a good journal. you don't have to be a member of the forum to submit. we are just looking for good writing. we were recently listed on duotrope also.

and for anyone who is reading this who might have sent me a link. it's not necessary. obviously i've seen it.

jen

Oh dear.

honestly, luke - i get complaints from people and i try to make everyone happy but have decided that i'm never going to make everyone happy 100% of the time. i sincerely don't remember why you left us but i would still be willing to work to set it straight. there was probably a misunderstanding somewhere along the line and i'm sorry if i offended you personally. when bukowski.net members started joining i was really excited to have more hank fans on board.

but like i said - critique is different with every person's personality. some will be more blunt than others. i try to make sure it stays as constructive as possible. sorry if you or anyone else feels we are sycophantic. it's true that a lot of us have known each other for years, but we're a very welcoming bunch, not a clique.

speaking of knowing each other for years.... Brimmer!

how the hell are you? i would have never guessed! still breaking the ladies hearts?

Shakespeare also said . . .

honestly, luke

The name on my driver's License is Father Luke
The name my Parents call me is Father Luke
The name on my Social Security card is Father Luke

Everyone I know calls me Father Luke

It's a name. It's not a title. It's my name.

Call me what you wish.

As I recall, Jen, one of your Moderators called me
violent and stupid for using that name.

- i get complaints from people and i try to make everyone happy but have decided that i'm never going to make everyone happy 100% of the time.

Jen? Shakespeare said:

This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

You might ask yourself who you are really being
true to when you try to please everyone.

i sincerely don't remember why you left us but i would still be willing to work to set it straight. there was probably a misunderstanding somewhere along the line and i'm sorry if i offended you personally.

No. I don't recall anytime I was ever personally
affronted by you. Not once.

Take that back, Jen. When you said you prefered
the older Buk to the Younger Buk and you'd never
read his oldest stuff. ;)

when bukowski.net members started joining i was really excited to have more hank fans on board.

but like i said - critique is different with every person's personality. some will be more blunt than others. i try to make sure it stays as constructive as possible.

Stop it before I get upset. Being critiqued is a
privilege among writers. You well know this, and I
know it. The matter has nothing to do with
critiquing. Straight on that?

sorry if you or anyone else feels we are sycophantic. it's true that a lot of us have known each other for years, but we're a very welcoming bunch, not a clique.

Your moderator ass raped me for saying my name.
Then my introduction post was deleted.

Again, as I recall. I don't spend much time worrying about
what happens on lit-mary. Sorry, Jen. I just don't.

speaking of knowing each other for years.... Brimmer!

how the hell are you? i would have never guessed! still breaking the ladies hearts?

Whoa, almost got whiplash from swerving off the road of "What are you writing now?"

I just bopped around the forum at LM. Whoo weeeee not my cup of tea. I didn't know such things existed. Someone posting a poem they wrote from their mind/heart and then have it disected word by word, letter by letter, idea by idea. Having people rewrite your poem? Completely? No thanks. Padre used the words I'd use on the above post. "Ass raped." And here I didn't even know poems had assholes!

But, I suppose everyone is different and some folks find having their writing axed and raped & taped back together by others beneficial. Others, not.

Father Luke, I did not mean to offend you by getting your name incorrect. I'm sorry.

I think you misunderstand me sometimes. I have read the old Bukowski, and I didn't say I preferred it so much as I said that he showed more emotion in his later work and I like watching him reflect on his life. If that isn't exactly what I said, that is what I meant. I enjoy all Bukowski, really.

I don't know what happened between you and Tsu, but she is not a moderator there anymore. However, according to staff records the post and thread were removed because you called her a 'cunt.'

Posts removed
" Sent to: TsuTseQ, Father Luke on: Today at 08:42:46 AM "

Father Luke and TsuTseQ,

I've removed the exchange between the two of you on Father Luke's greetings post.

The only post that was truly an issue was the one where Father Luke calls TTQ a cunt but just deleting that one would have caused confusion.

Father Luke: Calling other members derogatory names is taken seriously around here. Please refrain from doing so in the future.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

peace,
Rooze

Again, I'm sorry if you felt that you were treated unfairly.

Buzzcat, I am sorry for taking the thread off topic and will make this my last post on the matter so the thread can go back where it was. I also think you misunderstand the forum, which is really only there to help people who want to be helped. If you spent some time there and got to know the people and staff I think you would see no one is getting their ass raped. We reserve anal sex for consenting adults.

And I understand workshop is not for everyone and that many people don't believe it is beneficial. I'm fine with that. The only thing I'm asking is that people please stop bashing the site, as many of us are fans of Bukowski.net. If you have negative comments to make about the site, I am more than willing to listen to them in my private message box on the forum or my email which is [email protected].

Anyway, all that I'm reading right now is a bunch of text and notes for my Spanish final tonight so I will come back to this thread when I can actually read for pleasure again.

All respects,
vodka

The Lady Doth protest too much, me thinks. . .

I call everyone cunts.
And drunks.
And this.
And that.

But I never post private emails, especially when
there is more than one side to the story. ;)

Yes Vodka, I'm sure if I took more time and looked deeper I would find real good things there. I was stating my first impression. I hope I didn't sound like I was bashing.

What it really means:
This was taken from vodka's post and originated in another world.
The only post that was truly an issue was the one where Father Luke calls TTQ a cunt but just deleting that one would have caused confusion.

Father Luke: Calling other members derogatory names is taken seriously around here. Please refrain from doing so in the future.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Some people put letters together as the initials of something else they are meaning to say. Like HAND have a nice day
wtf what the fuck
BTW by the way
and in this case CUNT meaning Can't Understand Normal Thinking

It could be like that.

Hmmm. I've only known about 4 women in my lifetime that the word cunt was fitting for. And, I must say, all of them are well described as "Can't Understand Normal Thinking".

It's funny to call men cunts. They get all - Huh? Whut?

It's like calling a Klansman a Nigger.

Fuck Hate.

2551931520_b5d0e4b867_b.jpg

(thank you Steve Richmond, and Charles Bukowski - you beings of beauty)

The only thing I'm asking is that people please stop bashing the site, as many of us are fans of Bukowski.net.
What people say in this forum isn't exactly The Official Stance And Record Of Bukowski.net. It's just a forum. You can enjoy the site without ever looking at the forum. Many (most) visitors do.

Asking people to stop bashing your site in another forum is kind of weird. Nothing wrong with being weird, it's just not a tactic I've seen before (I here I thought I'd seen it all).

Good lord, and to think I spent my day gamely trying to WORK and missed out on this soap opera! Damn, say what you will about the people on this site, but they're pretty darned entertaining. :)

Not to be a threadhog, but I must say that when I hear the "c" word it reminds me of the joke:

Q. What's the difference between a Valentine's Day prank and my ex-wife?
A. The Valentine's Day prank is a Cupid stunt.

All right, maybe it's not a joke ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back