David Barker's "Charles Bukowski Spit in My Face" (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, here's the updated list:

Deluxe Copy:
strangegirl
mjp
hoochmonkey9
hank solo
purplestickpin
chronic
bukfan
marina del rey
will rogers
ponder
magic stallion
james
jordan
homeless mind
hosh

out of series copy:
gerald k h love

deluxe or out of series copy?
david
black swan

maybe wants one?
roni

Pardon me if I misspelled your handle. I'm doing this in a big hurry (as I do virtually all things)

The paintings will take a while. I'm working two jobs, 6 days a week, plus trying to do my taxes and deal with a thousand small issues (like my daughter's car broke down yesterday). And I want the paintings to be good. I set too high a standard on the paintings for the first 25 or so copies and now I have to live up to that, being something of a perfectionist (a sloppy one in paint). President's Day is coming up and I'll hit it hard then.

Again the price for a deluxe copy is $20 or an out of series copy is $6.

Outside the U.S. shipping cost is yet to be determined, but it's $2 in the US. Paypal me at barkerbooks[at]msn[dot]com (God, I hope I don't get tons of spam for posting this in public)

Thanks you guys. You're the best.

I just collated all the remaining "deluxe" copies of CHARLES BUKOWSKI SPIT IN MY FACE (3rd ed.) with art, and I have more than I thought: 39 copies. There are maybe another 10 out of series (unnumbered extra copies) but I haven't collated those yet, so that number is uncertain. So it looks like everyone who wants one (so far) will get one. I haven't checked my personal messages from today yet, and won't get to that until tomorrow. Pardon the delay. I will answer. There's not much free time here and I'm stretched as it is, so this is crazy time, but it's fun. The reason there are so many unsold copies is I have never had time to do the collating, art and binding, given my responsibilities. Now I'm catching up a bit.

And I want the paintings to be good. I set too high a standard on the paintings for the first 25 or so copies and now I have to live up to that, being something of a perfectionist (a sloppy one in paint). President's Day is coming up and I'll hit it hard then.

No rush here David; take your time. This is exciting. Pumped, as one may say... And thanks for making them available. Appreciated!

Pax,

homeless mind/b

Thanks. Glad you folks are interested. I'll pace myself, try to get a few paintings done every week and ship them out as I complete them. This could take me a month or so to get them all done.

I mentioned having other Buk related items to sell. Those need some work (collating, binding, art) and I'm not able to deal with them now. But to save you shipping money later, I'll list all of those at one time, so you can combine orders on those and save on shipping. That will be after the SPIT book is all dealt with. It would be too confusing and overwhelming for me to try to deal with all of those while making the art and getting out the SPIT book. My time is so limited I couldn't handle it.

Updated list & shipping costs for Charles Bukowski Spit In My Face:

Deluxe Copy, #'ed & signed with Original Art ($20 plus shipping):
1 strangegirl
2 mjp
3 hoochmonkey9
4 hank solo
5 purple stickpin
6 chronic
7 bukfan
8 marina del rey
9 willrogers
10 ponder
11 magick stallion
12 james
13 jordan
14 homeless mind
15 hosh
16 black swan

out of series copy ($6 plus shipping):
1 gerald k h love

david

maybe wants one?
roni

Shipping cost is $2 in the U.S. & Canada
Shipping to Europe is $6
Shipping to elsewhere, please PM me for the cost

You can Paypal me at barkerbooks[at]msn[dot]com. If you want to use a check or money order, please send me a PM for the address. Thanks.

Geez, I feel like a huckster (old term for saleman/conman)

I don't think of it as being a cheapskate. Maybe you haven't got the dough now, or maybe you just want the plain vanilla version. Most books I buy used, nth printing, $2 or $3 if possible. Actually, I'm surprised more of the out of series copies haven't been claimed. There must be a high percentage of hardcore collectors here.

And sorry about how I keep mangling your name, Gerard. I'm bad with names. I see people I've worked with for 20 years and say "Hi ... there!" I just draw a blank on their name. Anyway, that's twice I've called you Gerald. I'll drill it into my brain. "Gerard ... Gerard ...Gerard" My helper at work told me that if you repeat something 42 times, you'll have it. I'll try that, offline.

Updated list for Charles Bukowski Spit In My Face, 3rd edition

Deluxe Copy, #'ed & signed with Original Art ($20 plus shipping):
1 strangegirl
2 mjp
3 hoochmonkey9
4 hank solo
5 purple stickpin
6 chronic
7 bukfan
8 marina del rey
9 willrogers
10 magick stallion
11 james
12 jordan
13 homeless mind
14 hosh
15 black swan

Regular "out of series" (unnumbered) copy ($6 plus shipping):
1 gerard k h love

david

Okay, you're on the list. Thanks. Earlier in this thread you'll find the price, shipping costs, and Paypal address.

Yet another updated list for Charles Bukowski Spit In My Face, 3rd ed.

Deluxe Copy, #'ed & signed with Original Art:
1 strangegirl
2 mjp
3 hoochmonkey9
4 hank solo
5 purple stickpin
6 chronic
7 bukfan
8 marina del rey
9 willrogers
10 magick stallion
11 james
12 jordan
13 homeless mind
14 hosh
15 black swan
16 tinux

Regular "out of series" (unnumbered) copy :
1 gerard k h love

david

Here's the last update today, I promise mjp:

1 strangegirl
2 mjp
3 hoochmonkey9
4 hank solo
5 purple stickpin
6 chronic
7 bukfan
8 marina del rey
9 willrogers
10 magick stallion
11 james
12 jordan
13 homeless mind
14 hosh
15 black swan
16 tinux
17 crbsmile

Regular "out of series" (unnumbered) copy:
1 gerard k h love
2 david

Thanks to all of you. I'll get busy this weekend with the brushes...

Here's the current list:

1 strangegirl
2 mjp
3 hoochmonkey9
4 hank solo
5 purple stickpin
6 chronic
7 bukfan
8 marina del rey
9 willrogers
10 magick stallion
11 james
12 jordan
13 homeless mind
14 hosh
15 black swan
16 tinux
17 crbsmile
18 roni
19 pbbuk

1 gerard k h love
2 david

I'll be adding some extras, such as letterpressed broadsides, to all orders. Can't wait to get started with the paintings.

Listen, my dog sat on the stack of uncollated pages for the SPIT book and now some of the sheets are crumpled, and a few have this slight odor. Do you guys mind if your copies are somewhat "used"? Just kidding...

My wife says I have the sense of humor of a five year old. She may be right.

david, just don't put mine in a meat bag and dangle it in front of the dog.

I hear that ends badly.

Listen, my dog sat on the stack of uncollated pages for the SPIT book and now some of the sheets are crumpled, and a few have this slight odor.

That's ok, we all love to sniff bindings, even bindings with dog butt odor...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I did four paintings today for the deluxe edition, and they came out pretty good. All four are pictures of Bukowski. Two were re-dos on earlier portraits I'd done, and two were new portraits. I'll be binding and shipping those this week, along with one regular "out-of-series" copy. I'll do more paintings and shipping other copies as time allows. My schedule at work and at home is insane, so bear with me. I appreciate your patience.

Here's an update list of members who have reserved a copy of Charles Bukowski Spit In My Face, 3rd edition:

1 strangegirl
2 mjp
3 hoochmonkey9
4 hank solo
5 purple stickpin
6 chronic
7 bukfan
8 marina del rey
9 willrogers
10 magick stallion
11 james
12 jordan
13 homeless mind
14 hosh
15 black swan
16 tinux
17 crbsmile
18 roni
19 pbbuk
20 r
21 ian
22 lubricious
23 theonlygoodpoetisa

1 gerard k h love
2 david

That leave 16 unclaimed deluxe copies and an unknown number of unclaimed out-of-series copies. Take your time ordering these; I'll be busy with paintings for a good while. And thanks to all of you.

He probably would've asked me how to play Stravinsky's Rite of Spring or how to not abandon your lady and your offspring....

On off topic but current topical conversational linear flow, no thanks Rekrab.
I'm currently drunk and considered this was worth posting after serious deliberation

Zing.

He wasn't at all interested in advice or opinions from most people. He really found just about everyone boring. Very few human beings interested Bukowski, especially those he met at literary parties.

The first batch of 6 copies of Charles Bukowski Spit In My Face are wrapped and will be shipped on Friday (tomorrow). I'm enclosing with all copies, while they last, an assortment of broadside poems. If I run out of broadsides, I'll figure out some other extras to include. I'm sending out copies in the order of payments received, not in the order that copies were reserved. This first batch is going to strangegirl, david, purple stickpin, gerard k h love, marina del rey, and magick stallion. Thanks to everyone for your patience. I'll do another painting or two this weekend. Here's the updated list:

1 strangegirl
2 mjp
3 hoochmonkey9
4 hank solo
5 purple stickpin
6 chronic
7 bukfan
8 marina del rey
9 willrogers
10 magick stallion
11 james
12 jordan
13 homeless mind
14 hosh
15 black swan
16 tinux
17 crbsmile
18 roni
19 pbbuk
20 r
21 ian
22 lubricious
23 theonlygoodpoetisa
24 jerry
25 [I haven't yet identified the user name on this one]

1 gerard k h love
2 david

Hope you all enjoy the book.

I had to look that one up in my dictionary. Thanks.

I did two more paintings tonight, both portraits of Bukowski. I'll bind these and ship them out later this week. If my sanity holds up, I'll make all of the watercolors for the SPIT book pictures of Buk in various poses. If I snap, I may lapse into portraits of Popeye, Oscar Meyer, Helena Rubinstine, or Oscar Lavant. Wish me luck...

Got the book today, and it's very nice to hold. The painting is very reminiscent of '72 Buk. When I get back from work travel I'll post a picture.

Thanks David.

Glad it arrived safely. Everyone who ordered gets a Buk portrait for the watercolor. If I do enough of these, I may get decent at it. He can be a tough subject -- that face is complex...primitive yet subtle. Such dignity. How do you do that justice?

Got mine yesterday and read it last night. Great story, superb painting. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet. Thanks, David.

Hey David, I got mine as well, yesterday.
Muchas gracias!! I have yet to read it, but will shortly. The painting is mighty fine, sir.
Thanks for the broadsides too. Excellent stuff.

That's reassuring, that they're being delivered. Not that I don't trust the U.S. Postal Service, but I always have this "goodbye forever, have fun in the black abyss" feeling when I hand over a package. Our local post office used to lose a lot of packages, years ago. Their record has improved. Knock on wood.

Thanks for the kind words you guys.

I would have wrapped two more tonight but my daughter's car wouldn't start after a big rain so I was out there messing with the distributor cap (almost broke it), got it to go -- for now. Tomorrow night...

Nice work David. You caught something of Linda King there - there's personality in it I mean.

Barker, you son of a bitch! Those are very, very good, and quite unlike any other Bukowski portraits I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back