David Barker's "Charles Bukowski Spit in My Face" (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the 'typer' the best. You are good my man.
I read Spit yesterday and I wonder about Dana. Is he a real person or another side of a real person? It got me thinking so I will read it a couple more times.

Wow, they're very well done, David! I like all of them, but I like Typewriter the best.Then comes Linda King and Early Reading, but they're all very good. I can't wait to see mine!

Last edited by a moderator:
yoa! Fine work!
hs is right: your Linda is top!
The early reading looks like a screenshot from 'Bellevue'. right?

Thanks. Right. I found that screen shot online. I'm working from photos, not being good enough to just wing it from visual memory.

I like the 'typer' the best. You are good my man.
I read Spit yesterday and I wonder about Dana. Is he a real person or another side of a real person? It got me thinking so I will read it a couple more times.

Dana is a real person. I changed his last name in the story. We were tight friends in college. I lost touch with him years ago.

Barker, you son of a bitch! Those are very, very good, and quite unlike any other Bukowski portraits I've ever seen.

Thanks, mjp, and everyone. I realize it's kind of nuts to make all of the watercolors portraits of Bukowski, but I guess that makes the edition special and not your regular old third edition. It's good to hear these are working for you all because I see small flaws, bad choices on many of them. I don't paint enough to be 100% natural, and am always relearning after repeated layoffs. Doing a bunch of these in a row will no doubt help me as a painter, for a while. Then I'll not paint for months on end and forget it all.

Bingo. Which is old time speak for correct (or more properly, correctamundo).

The next two copies are wrapped and will ship today or tomorrow. They go to hoochmonkey9 and roni. Hooch got the "Buk with Flowers" painting and Roni got the "Buk with Typer."

Hank Solo: thanks for the words on my Linda King rendering. I felt like I captured a bit of her personality there. I want to do more paintings of King & Bukowski together. I'll be looking for other photos to base them on, and may take another shot at the one I already used.

Hey David, I just finished your book.
I love it.
Especially the part when you had to remove yourself at the party because you felt the need to provoke Buk.
Completely agree. I would have the urgent need to test the waters myself too.
And I would have gotten a beat down:D
Maybe not. I'm invincible when I'm dwwwrrrunnnkk, I just don't know it when I'm not.

And for everyone else, if curious, I got the watercolor painting of Buk reading the racing forms.
Again, thanks so much David!

you made me goddamn proud! which I was anyways!
but now - all I can do is wait for my happy happy book to arrive: and offer to give you a regular blow-job.
:-O

hehe.
thanks again, baby!

Uh oh... what have I started? Good thing my wife doesn't read this forum. I don't think she would understand that it's all in good fun.

Glad everyone is happy with the art. Can't wait to get back to it, but there's this job, these two jobs, and the old car breaking down, and the dog wants to walk every time I look at him, and, and...

Right! - "Don't mind him, darling. He's just European!"...:D

There's no way I'm talking my way out of this one. She reads it and I'm dead. "But I'm innocent! Honest!"

a regular blow-job

Purely out of curiosity, what's an irregular blow-job? I mean, I don't really need to know, but my interest has been sparked. Or, by regular did you mean weekly? Monthly? Biennially? Biannually?

English is a messed up language, to be sure.

Irregular means like almost never. I mean, that's what I've heard anyway...

Unless we talk military, like in "irregular army". But there's a long way from irregular blow jobs to irregular armies - or so I hope...:)

Here's the updated list:

Deluxe Copy, #'ed & signed with Original Art:
1 strangegirl
2 mjp
3 hoochmonkey9
4 hank solo
5 purple stickpin
6 chronic
7 bukfan
8 marina del rey
9 willrogers
10 magick stallion
11 james
12 jordan
13 homeless mind
14 hosh
15 black swan
16 tinux
17 crbsmile
18 roni
19 pbbuk
20 r
21 ian
22 lubricious
23 theonlygoodpoetisa
24 jerry
25 [I haven't yet identified the user name on this one]
26 nervas

Regular "out of series" (unnumbered) copy:
1 gerard k h love
2 david
3 thru 8 will be in a Pasadena bookstore
[there may be one or two additional regular copies left; I need to collate and count them]

it had something to do with 'swallowing included'.

so by "regular" I meant 'REAL'. (a regular one /=/ a real one?)
Foreign languages are a tough cookie anyways, but if you try to get into slang or dirty-talk or street-talk or anything like that you seem to be determined to make bullshit.

Worked like a maniac all day Sunday on my federal taxes and got them done, so now I can focus on the paintings. Well, that and the thousand other things that fill my insane life.

That's reassuring, that they're being delivered. Not that I don't trust the U.S. Postal Service, but I always have this "goodbye forever, have fun in the black abyss" feeling when I hand over a package.

That's a good way to put it David,:D
I have experienced that feeling "myriad" of times when I was selling retro stuff on ebay for a while.
Myriad, I started re-using this word after reading Justin Hyde.;)

Black Swan: after myriad minor delays the past few days (that rhymes...) I can start work on two new watercolors tonight, for shipping ... I hope ... on Friday. I'm like some ant carrying grains of sand (or whatever it is that ants carry) from one point to another.

myriad

the hiring manager
at UPS
had never seen anyone
use

- myriad -

in a job application.

as in:

- i have myriad skills applicable to this job -

i've got more qualified apps
but i like your enthusiasm,
were his exact words.

i was seventeen years old
that day

ten years before i'd read
or write
my first poem.

more proof that poets

are born

full of shit.

© Justin Hyde

Well, there were myriad new delays Wednesday night so I couldn't start painting until last night. Tonight I'll wrap the two paintings I finished last night and ship them off on Monday. I'll do more on Sunday to ship later next week. They have to dry overnight, and I'm a slow wrapper (not the same as a slow rapper), so those won't be ready Monday. I'll post scans of the new paintings and let you know who's next to get their copies.

Here are scans of the two paintings for deluxe copies that will go out tomorrow:

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h185/barkerbooks/BukFrowningSmoking.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h185/barkerbooks/BukShadesBeerCan.jpg

The painting of Bukowski sitting with a beer can, wearing shades, is going to Will Rodgers. Iain gets the close up of Bukowski with a cigarette.

I did a couple other paintings today. I'll mail out those deluxe copies this coming week. Thanks to all of you who ordered deluxe copies of CHARLES BUKOWSKI SPIT IN MY FACE for being so patient.

Ah, you're probably right. I forgot he was smoking those bedis after he met Linda Lee. I think I tried one once.

Nice paintings, David! They're both very good...

Thanks David for my painting and the chapbook and the broadsides.
I got Bukowski with cig. and mine is lucky #13. Woo Whooo!
Well done David, they are all really nice.

Thanks, strangegirl, and thanks all of you.

Depending on what mix you got, most or all of the broadsides were likely impressed by Bill of BOSP.

I can't wait. Well, I can, but you know what I mean :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back