David Barker's "Charles Bukowski Spit in My Face" (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about "The douchebag that spit in my face." ;)

OK; tasteless, but very topical, don't you know. I'll come up with a serious one tomorrow.

Alright; a serious one:

"The Form Appears: Bukowski Watercolors by David Barker."

And props to chronic for the suggestion of the simple, clear message. Something that imparts due deference to both the poet and painter. All I did was to add the last three words of Art and juggle the words a bit. Funny though, use of the poem Art didn't occur to me to be so obvious until after I had mulled it over a bit. Is it too obvious?

Purple Stickpin said:
"The Form Appears: Bukowski Watercolors by David Barker."

Has a nice ring to it, but in the poem, once the form appears, the spirit has already waned.

...and David, I received my copy today and the watercolor is really nice. Very vibrant color. You got ya some of that talent stuff there. Thanks for the broadsides as well. When my tooth stops hurting so goddamned much (can you say "root canal?") I'll sit down to read the book.

I like Stickpin's. But I keep coming back to:

no Cagney, me

No that anyone would know what that meant.

To follow Purple Stickpin;

Bukowski: "Burning in Watercolors" by David Barker.

Black Swan's:

Bukowski: "Watermarked" by David Barker.

Chronic and Purple Stickpin's are both classy, but maybe too classy for the likes of me. I like best so far:

Greetings From Nowhere In Particular (Magick Stallion), and

Cezanne Never Did This (Bill)

I was thinking last night how cool it will be if I find one of these postcards, used, with an address, a goofy message, a cancelled stamp, and "light edge wear," on eBay for $2. I'll feel like I've arrived.

Thanks Bill.
Ever since middle school, I would create imaginary band names, song titles and coin catchphrases, etching them on desks or sharpie them on the cover of my language arts book.
Things are sadly, pretty much, still the same, however, without the school desks and books.

..more title suggestions pending...

Hi,
If you have e-mailed or posted on this forum, you are reserved a copy.

This edition is SOLD OUT.

There are still many copies of the regular edition, but the Clamshell edition is sold out.

Thanks,
Bill

After all I find "Burning in Watercolors" a little bit too cliché.

it's declamatory, yes. But as a word-play I like it.

How about staying simple:

On Demand
Ten water color portraits
of
Charles Bukowski
by
David Barker

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Stickpin's. But I keep coming back to:

no Cagney, me

No that anyone would know what that meant.

Does James Cagney get spat on in one of his films? Or is that too easy? Yes, probably too obscure, but I like the sound of it.

On Demand
Ten water color portraits
of
Charles Bukowski
by
David Barker

That's good, but sounds so digital, which the project is, what with me posting the paintings here and sending them to Bill as email attachments. And it may be too subtle. People would have to get that I'm doing these on demand, to fill paid orders.

People would have to get that I'm doing these on demand, to fill paid orders.

Exactly! And you did'nt do them on demand. It was your own idea. But I like the sub-text, "Ten watercolor portraits of Charles Bukowski by David Barker"...

This is justa joke - I don't suggest using it:

"David Barker watercolored Bukowski's face"

Jeez, I kind of like that one. We'll add it to the list. That we still need to compile. But right now I need to start a drawing for mjp's copy.

hoochmonkey and hank solo: another couple of good ones.

It'll be tough choosing one title from all these suggestions. Or, Bill could give each clamshell it's own title, and use them all. That would wreck havoc on the bibliography.

Here are the suggestions in no order in particular:

Quick watercolors for Quick Bucks
Bukowski Doesn't Want To Be Painted But He's No Say In The Matter Now.
Reflections on Hank
A collection of ten water color portraits of Charles Bukowski by David Barker.
..To All My Friends!
The Light At The End Of The Bottle
Greetings From Nowhere In Particular
The Form Appears: Bukowski Watercolors by David Barker.
no Cagney, me
Bukowski: "Burning in Watercolors" by David Barker.
Bukowski: "Watermarked" by David Barker.
"David Barker - Cezanne Never Did This"
Beer, Beauties and Brawls
Thank You, and Goodnight
Holy Water, Burning Color
Watercolor Stew
Watercolor Ballet
The Sunday Art
On Demand: Ten water color portraits of Charles Bukowski b yDavid Barker
Bukowski By Demand
Slipping Into Focus
Crashing Through The Bloodshot Dawn
Whiskey & Watercolor: Portraits of Charles Bukowski
Portraits of a dirty old man

Thanks Bill for the list. 2 more and we can make each clamshell have a unique title. Or are you wanting to strangle me for even suggesting all that typesetting?

The Form Appears: Bukowski Watercolors by David Barker

is the standout in that list, to my eyes.

Thanks Bill for the list. 2 more and we can make each clamshell have a unique title. Or are you wanting to strangle me for even suggesting all that typesetting?

Yes, I would have to strangle you. Then the next release would be your first posthumous release! That would be a lot of typesetting and money, plus, It would be a mess for bibliographers....

Bill

And I would deserve it. Just kidding about using them all. You're already working too hard.

For my first posthumous work, you could say "this will be the last collection..." and then keep saying that as you bring out new collection after new collection. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The Form Appears: Bukowski Watercolors by David Barker

is the standout in that list, to my eyes.

Your opinion counts for a lot. I'm taking that one seriously. Actually, it describes how the likeness develops, how the "Bukowski-ness" is captured (if at all) as I'm laying down the lines. It's all in the line. The color is just window dressing. I'm working the lines and there he is: channeled. I like it when that happens. That's what I'm after.

Here's the latest watercolor. This one's going out to Buk fan.

It came today! The watercolor is awesome and it looks even better than it did on the scan. The colors seems brighter somehow.
I'm glad you included all the prefaces. They add a lot to the memoir, because the reader gets to know what happened after the memoir was released and how you coped with it etc.
Btw, thanks for the little extras! :)

Thanks, Bukfan. My secret with the watercolors is that I mostly use cheap kid's paintbox sets that my daughters abandoned about the house when they outgrew them. The colors are so pure, and the pigments are truly water soluable. If I screw up, I can use a clean wet brush and sop up the excess color to some extent. You never get back the white paper, but you can minimize any errors in judgement where you laid down a color and it was too dark, or just the wrong color, in the wrong place, or a bad drawing, or whatever. I haven't bought any "quality" watercolors in about 10 years because I seldom use them. I'm still working away at the kid's paintsets.

Speaking of which, here are the two latest paintings, shipped today to mjp (Buk on stage with a chair) and Hosh (Buk with a toothy smile, in front of the fridge with a beer). The later was a very tough likeness for me to capture, and I'm not sure I was entirely successful. Images:

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h185/barkerbooks/BukOnStageWithChairCropped.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h185/barkerbooks/BukToothySmileBeerAtFridgeCropped.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back