The Boozers Thread (1 Viewer)

I'd like to talk about booze. I've searched this forum and have found a few threads discussing alcohol, but from the 'having quit' p.o.v. I don't want to talk about quitting or those who have quit. Mucho power to ya. Especially if the booze took control of you.

I want to talk/write about the joy of drinking. The dazzle of drunkarddom. Ya see, I love drinking. Had my first drunk at 10. Been drinking since with only a couple spots of not because everything was out of control. I've since coined a life philosophy I call Survival Moderation. I drink what I want, eat what I want, do what I want, so long as it stays within the parameters of that philosophy. Basically, do what you want but don't hurt yourself or others doing it. Kinda the golden rule thing.

Currently, my drink of choice is Screwdrivers. Been on 'em solidly since about a year ago when I quit drinking beer all the time to lose some weight. I lost almost 40 pounds and am must happier about that. I'll drink beer if I'm at a restaurant. A good beer. Local craft brewers.

I drink every night. 7 days a week. 3 or 4 healthy strong screwdrivers. And I like it that way. On our weekly net show, we unashamedly glorify drinking. It makes it all the more fun for us.

Why booze? Well, because the green is still illegal. Hell, if that wasn't under draconian laws, I'd probably not drink at all, but... in the meantime, Bottoms Up Babys!

An afterthought: I like Gordon's Vodka. Priced right and smooooooth.

May I ask how old you are, my friend?

I would have been right there with you not so long ago. My drink of choice was white bacardi rum...and when I could get it, Don Q (the good stuff they only make in Puerto Rico). I lived with a college friend of mine for a time in Boston and he and I would buy one of those 1.75 liter bottles of the stuff with a couple of two liter bottles of coke. On a good night the whole 1.75 liters would be gone by morning. At a certain point the switch would flip and I was a wild man with absolutely no boundries, morals or cares in the world. As you might guess...things got a little crazy.

My days of turning into a drunken wild man are loooong over. I drink at home. Only. Unless, as I said, it's a beer or two with a dinner out. I lost interest in the bar scene 10 years ago. Helps having a groovy woman that likes to drink with ya at home too.

There's a funny song by Lou Reed named 'the power of positive drinking'.
In a book of his lyrics he commented on this one: "I tried to give up drugs by drinking." - on the following page were the lyrics of 'Underneath the bottle', his comment here was simply: "It didn't work."

yeah, vodka is fine. but I prefer mine at room-temperature. Better for my stomach.

I do like my red wine too. Especially on a day like today; sunny, The Spring Equinox, mid 40s temp, an afternoon outdoors with a fine bottle of Wollersheim Port would be perfect.

Ahhh shit Roni, too bad I can't read German. Looks like ya got a cool Hank site.

Oh hell yeah on the Grey Goose. If I could afford it, that'd be all I'd drink. But alas...

Which reminds me, I gotta drop by my dealer and get me a bottle of Pinot for tonights celebration.

Nice thread for right now. I get to start drinking at noon this Saturday. I had alcohol out of my mind until last week.
I can't make up my mind between beer or red wine.

Gin and vodka belong in the freezer, but brandy? If it's any good, freezing it will ruin it...a brandy glass is large with a short stem so your hand can warm it. Do you freeze your red wine too?

Anyway, most brandy makes me gag - but once this guy laid some South African brandy on me that was something special. No idea what it was called, unfortunately.

The same guy opened a big name bottle of 50 year old scotch one night, and it was like drinking battery acid. I tried to compliment it because he paid $500 for it or something, but all I could say was, "Wow!" I figured that wasn't positive or negative. But jesus christ, that stuff was vile. And I love scotch.

And don't put your scotch in the freezer.

;)

With beer, I prefer Beck's or Harp (bottled). Guinness is outstanding but I never appreciated it until I quit smoking. Now it is the nectar of the gods. And there is a terrific bar not too far from my place that sells pints of it for $2.00 EVERYDAY. (jmoshea you probably have heard of it but if not, PM me.) Rum 'n' cokes are fine, too. Discovered a cocktail called The Lounge Lizard last summer. Dark rum, coca-cola, and a generous splash of amaretto, over ice. Ahhhh..........

But more to the point of your thread, Buzz, I don't drink everyday. Yesterday was my birthday and I drank enough to bruise my liver for awhile. But sometime next week, or the week after, I will test that liver again. You know, just to show it who's boss.

Guinness is outstanding ... And there is a terrific bar not too far from my place that sells pints of it for $2.00 EVERYDAY.

:eek: $2.00?

At my local it's about £2.65 a pint. That's about $5.20

Gin and vodka .....

though you didn't mean to pour them into the same glass with YOUR post, I will do now. (and this is also against the rules of Charles Schumann, who is one of the most famous bartenders in Germany and once stated, in his bar, Vodka and Gin don't even share the same board because they wouldn't work together.)

When I was 20, I discovered the mixture of Gin&Vodka (2:1)
that was for 3 reasons:
- the hard taste of the Gin becomes more smooth
- the no-taste of Vodka gets some spice
- you do NOT lose Anything in terms of alc%

I used this mix for over a year. Still love it sometimes. For me it works.

very good tequila with sangrita between two beers is quite nice, followed of course by another tequila and sangrita...

when you do not want to know how you got home

In the last couple of years I got into Black Russians, I use Stoli because it's not too expensive and a young, russian minx I know told me to only use russian vodka.

I mostly drink beer but on weekends I like to have a black russian & a beer at the same time (at home.)

Usually, the beer's a Heinekin so I get the mix of Russian, Spanish & Dutch.

& One thing I like about being in Calif now is Tecate is easy to find.

Rum..

RUM...Can't beat it.. makes your bones strong...I get agile and untouchable... rum only the Captain with diet coke, liter and a half a day... and i don't know that i can say that's moderation...it's what it is. Sometimes it's a half gallon.. And the next morning that first drink if its strong enough is a perfect primer, takes all that shit away so you can feel like a champ again.. I guess I drink like a man.

I bought a bottle of seagrams crown royal the night that my son was born (1981) and stashed it away. we opened it on the night of his 21st birthday and toasted his coming of legal age.

Gin and vodka belong in the freezer, but brandy? If it's any good, freezing it will ruin it...a brandy glass is large with a short stem so your hand can warm it. Do you freeze your red wine too?;)

I'm sorry I miswrote. The rum & vodka is in the freezer, the brandy is in the beer fridge. Kept cool. Goes down straight better that way for me. We only drink E&J VSOP Brandy. Smooooth shit man. And priced right. That matters. A lot.

number6horse said:
But more to the point of your thread, Buzz, I don't drink everyday. Yesterday was my birthday and I drank enough to bruise my liver for awhile. But sometime next week, or the week after, I will test that liver again. You know, just to show it who's boss.

The liver is a very forgiving organ. Thankfully. I'm sure my level of drunkardness ain't the best for it, but I know people who really abuse it. I used to. I think I'll be ok. And I'm boss. hehheh.

When I was 20, I discovered the mixture of Gin&Vodka (2:1)

I'll have to try that. Or not. Being I love the strength of gin. Gin & Tonics with just the right bit of lime is one dilectible morsel of liquid beauty.

old charter ten year kentucky bourbon and water with ice. that's all you need......
that and some good cocaine...

I used to be Jack drinker. Back when the real liver abuse was happening. Back before Jack Daniel's decided to screw their drinkers over, cut the alcohol down to 80 proof and quadruple the price. Shit. I get a 1.75 of Ezra Brooks for $19 and it's just as good as Jack to me. Jack charges $42 for a 1.75. Fuck them.
As for the blow. Whoahohoho am I glad THOSE days have gotten past me. I love to drink, but not for 2 bloody days straight!!

Two drinks come to mind:
Warm Jack Daniels mixed with a spoonful of snuff. Nice burn.
Milk with Scotch. Nice breakfast.

Snuff? what kind of snuff?

very good tequila with sangrita between two beers is quite nice, followed of course by another tequila and sangrita...
when you do not want to know how you got home

Me and the tequila never got along well. Mostly because it tasted the worst of any booze when puking it up. Bleeaaarrrrggghhhh!

RUM...Can't beat it.. makes your bones strong...I get agile and untouchable... rum only the Captain with diet coke, liter and a half a day... and i don't know that i can say that's moderation...it's what it is. Sometimes it's a half gallon.. And the next morning that first drink if its strong enough is a perfect primer, takes all that shit away so you can feel like a champ again.. I guess I drink like a man.

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about. I always know it was a good weekend when I get a 1.75ml of vodka on Friday after work and it's gone by Monday morning.

I never know if it's a good day..weekend... or not till it's night and I never get a hangover...because I start drinkin' early enough. this probably is not a good thing. but it makes the days go by smoother...easier..a tad bit cleaner, It's real hard without the primer for the evening...the primer for the real wake up

Two drinks come to mind:

Warm Jack Daniels mixed with a spoonful of snuff. Nice burn.

Milk with Scotch. Nice breakfast.

Snuff? what kind of snuff?

Warm Jack Daniels mixed with a spoonful of powdered tobacco nasal snuff. Nice burn.

2349277153_eb43e8cc38_o.jpg
2349281195_3ea4a5accf_o.jpg
2349272059_3b516466e2_o.jpg
2349284699_6b6cedbc3e_o.jpg
2349307409_abd4873574_m.jpg

when I'm flush I like Laphroaig, no ice (fuck no), no water. straight, let's call it.
when I'm not flush (most of the time), I'll take whatever's going, but prefer local small brews and fairly cheap red wine (usually from Australia or Chile -cheap but fairly good).
I'm in a slow period drinking-wise right now. I've been sick and my liver has been knocking on my ribcage, so I'm in a holding pattern. I was going at it a bit too eagerly for a while.
and luckily, like someone already said, the liver is a fairly resilient bugger.

Padre, you mean you literally put the snuff IN the JD and stir it up and drink it like that?

I've never heard of anyone doing that before.

Last night during the show recording, we had ourselves a very fine bottle of Port. Cockburn's Fine Ruby Porto from Portugal. Real smooth one there. Still, I like my home states Wollersheim's port better. Real hearty.

Of course, after discussing the Cockburn's Port, and it was the Equinox, a holiday to us, I had to play Spring Song by Bruce Cockburn. It fit perfectly.

New boy here, everyday drinking done with Pabst Blue Ribbon Draft and Leroux Blackberry Brandy- has to be the Polish crap- it gets the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back