What are you drinking? (4 Viewers)

I don't drink much. Used to drink a lot when I was younger. Nothing against drinking and I like the occasional crap american beer, but just don't drink much.

Don't know if it's been a blessing or a curse, but can't drink more than about 4 drinks.Done it once many years ago and was ill for 3 days,
Still... looking on the bright side - very cost effective, get drunk pretty quick.

I know! then again - I only order four of these babies:
Diva Vodka (from the Shetland Islands and apparently one of the world's most expensive)
Macallan 1946 Single Malt Whisky (apparently pretty expensive too):wb: and I think it's your round Bruno.

Actually all a fib, mine's a Bailey's or a G& T or Red Wine (not too picky)
Cheers:D.

Oh My God Skygazer....you had me goin there for a half a second when you said you like "The McCallan." You have to "The" MacCallan, it's that good! Then I finish your sentence only to find you are a trickster. You got me.

I learned about the MacCallan from Neil Peart, the drummer from RUSH. That is his drink. That is just about all he drinks. I bought my first bottle of the MacCallan when I was reading his emotionally brutal book called Ghost Rider. I mix the scotch with a bit of 7 Up and ice cubes. It has such wonderful flavor that I encourage you, if you are ever in a high end restaurant or hotel to try it. It is really, really good.

Macallan and other Highland whiskies are great for removing bathtub ring and somesuch, but you ain't really drinking scotch if you aren't working on a bottle of Laphroaig, Lagavulin, or, at the very least, Talisker. I'll grant Balvenie a pass; someone in the Highlands actually knows how to produce some flavor. ;)

I've been sober for over a year. A coworker and I recently bonded while telling black-out stories. We've got a lunch-date next week.

Yeah, you can see where this is heading. :confused:

jack_daniels.jpg

[... I encourage you, if you are ever in a high end restaurant or hotel to try it. It is really, really good.

I hate whisky Danny, only tried it once, but since you are recommending that one so highly then I will - maybe:)
As for trying it in a high end hotel or restaurant; hate them, totally devoid of life or vitality, just deadening.

ps quite like a Drambuie (does that count?) it's made in Broxburn, a wee town just about a 15 min drive from me, but picturesque it is not, unlike some of the distillery places in the Highlands and Islands.

Macallan and other Highland whiskies are great for removing bathtub ring and somesuch, but you ain't really drinking scotch if you aren't working on a bottle of Laphroaig, Lagavulin, or, at the very least, Talisker. I'll grant Balvenie a pass; someone in the Highlands actually knows how to produce some flavor. ;)

So picky!

Ah, come on. I love the peaty stuff too but Macallan is up there with the very best. That is if you go with the 'traditional' bottlings that have been sherry cask aged. Balvenie Double Wood (which sounds like it should be a euphemism) is superb stuff though. I had a nice wee Caol Ila last neet though.
Incidentally, William Grant (of Grants Whisky and Glenfiddich) own Balvenie. Although Glenfiddich (and Grants) are massively popular brands, it's actaully one of the very few family owned companies. Most of the Scottish distilleries are owned by one of about four massive international conglomerates now.

I hate whisky Danny, only tried it once, but since you are recommending that one so highly then I will - maybe:)
As for trying it in a high end hotel or restaurant; hate them, totally devoid of life or vitality, just deadening.

ps quite like a Drambuie (does that count?) it's made in Broxburn, a wee town just about a 15 min drive from me, but picturesque it is not, unlike some of the distillery places in the Highlands and Islands.
Drambuie is supposed to have been a gift to the people of Skye by Bonnie Prince Charlie for helping him to escape the English. Probably bollocks like. Although it is thought that years ago, when whisky tasted like shit, that it would have been common to flavour it with herbs and honey etc. and this is how things like Drambuie came about. I like a Rusty Nail which is meant to be 50/50 Scotch and Drambuie but I prefer it 2 parts whisky, one part Drambuie. I do quite like a Drambuie on the rocks too though when the mood takes me.

haven't clicked on this thread for a long time and thank god i did tonight all of a sudden.
I don't know about god, but I had a wonderful concoction tonight (a few times) that was sort of a high-octane Manhattan, without the vermouth. It was just these two things:

2014-10-12-drinking-002.jpg

And though it might seem they wouldn't compliment each other...

Yeah, I know.

Well, bourbon is more of a man's drink, not everyone has the manliness for it. And when you pour in a bottle of Underberg...well, now you're in super he-man territory. So it's not for everyone. The extended pinky crowd should probably stick to civilized conversations about the differing climates in peat producing regions and leave the Kentucky bourbon to the men who have work to do, mouths to feed and knuckles to bust.

;)

that reminded me of a video someone sent me recently...
Isn't that how everyone in Boston drinks?

Shoenice reminds me of the time a "friend" of mine poured a 12 oz. tumbler of Jack Daniels and set it down in front of me. He said later that he had done it, "as a joke." I didn't realize it was a joke though, so I did what anyone would do and drank it down in one mighty multi-gulp. In my defense I was maybe 19 years old, so my 19 year old brain made that decision.

It is funny what slurping down way too much liquor in very short amount of time does. I mean, not comedy funny, but something interesting to experience. Once. It's like turning an ape switch in your brain and you go instantly from human to ape. Like the sideshow Ape Girl, only faster.

Wild Turkey is like drinking syphilitic piss straight from the tap.
I've got to get to one of those Boston tap rooms. I don't think I'd like syphilitic piss, but I'll try anything.

...Shoenice...

you'd heard of this guy before seeing that vid?

apparently he's "internet famous" for eating and drinking almost anything.

It is funny what slurping down way too much liquor in very short amount of time does. I mean, not comedy funny, but something interesting to experience.

three big shots of whatever is about as extreme as i get to start the proceedings. that works real good...

you'd heard of this guy before seeing that vid?
No, I just learned his name seeing it scrawled on the bedsheet hanging behind him.

Internet famous or not, he's a pathetic motherfucker, and when he dies (soon) everyone will weep and moan and say how they shouldn't have encouraged his self-destruction. But here we are.

he's keeping the tradition of the sideshow geek alive.

btw i still remember seeing the ape girl at the CNE in toronto when i wa a kid (yes, i'm that old)

it was probably the last year they had the sideshow. when she turned into the ape and busted out of the cage people panicked and stampeded out and i remember hearing that an old man got trampled.

ah, the good old days...

Rumgronis make a nice aperitif (variation on a Negroni - 1 part rum (used Angostura 1919), 1 part Italian bitters (e.g. Campari, Aperol, etc. - prefer the latter), 1 part sweet red vermouth, e.g. Martini Rosso). Pour the ingredients over ice in a rocks glass and give it a quick stir. Would appeal to those who like an Old Fashioned I reckon. Or Negronis, obviously

This was a fun thread that I had completely forgotten about. Thanks for the reminder of some past regulars who don't come to this "bar" anymore. And tonight it's hot tea for me so if anyone needs a ride...

At the keyboard, pounding out some work with a charming little teapot/cup/saucer combo filled with vodka and ginger ale. And no, it's not THAT gay. It's a little chipped and rough around the edges like a real man's teapot/cup/saucer combo should be. And it has shamrocks on it, which makes me an Irish tough-guy so shut up.

Last edited:
I'm preparing to listen to to mjp's latest podcast, so I'm having a few of these:

20130609_0041_edited2_0.jpg

followed with a bottle of this:

The%20Grinder%20Pinotage.png

IMG_20150722_241315024.jpg

And while I'm here - agree with @hoochmonkey9 .. Stellar podcast MJP whoever you are. I really think that the podcast is the new CD .. The next great thing in media. It's better than tv, better than the same old songs, and WAY better than just listening to myself think all night long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back