What are you drinking? (4 Viewers)

Why is Jagermeister so popular in the USA by the way?

It gives a bit of a narcotic buzz, in fact there was a rumor that opium was an ingredient, like the government might allow a beverage to contain this. It was a German digestif for a long time before they decided to go outside with it. Their advertising campaign is to sponser bands and events and they never have any traditional advertising. It became popular with rock bands and their fans starting in the early nineties I'm guessing. Goldshlager was introduced at the same time but hasn't been as popular, rumor was the "gold" in it were actual gold shaving (hee, hee).

Does taste like cough syrup but gives an odd buzz like Tequila, It does have a strange effect on some (like Tequila). An interesting fact is that it is brewed for five years, just like Scotch.

I know what Jagermeister is by the way, I just couldn't really fathom why it was so popular in the States. It's not so different from a lot of other herbal digestifs (many of which also taste pretty medicinal) so I wondered why it had done so well over there. I suppose a lot of it is down to luck, timing, good marketing and so on.
By the way: Goldschlager really does have gold leaf in it. I shit you not.

I heard the idea is that minute nicks are made in your throat when you drink it so the alcohol gets to your blood stream quicker. Is anybody in that much of a hurry to get drunk?
Probably just a gimmick anyway.
I prefer its taste to Jagermeister, although it wouldn't be the first thing I'd think of to order if I was drinking 'shorts'.

That rumor about Goldschlager having tiny bit of gold shavings in it are false along with the one about Jager having deer blood or opium in it. Not true.

Gold leaf can't cut anything anyway. It's about the most fragile thing you can imagine. You can tear a sheet of it by blowing on it. Which is probably why it runs through the digestive tract easily.

The Chinese love gold leaf on their food.
My little boys 2nd birthday brownies had gold leaf all over them.

You're right mjp, it wouldn't cut the wings of a fly.

Jagermeister tastes like deer piss to me (well... how I imagine deer piss to taste).

Jager does taste like deer piss, I've had both and they are surpisingly similiar.

Had a shot of deer piss just a few minutes ago.

So that gold leaf is true? Whattayano.

I remember in the 80s getting some Afghanistan hashish with a gold picture of an arm holding a AK47 and the slogan 'Smoke Russia Away' also in gold. Nice marketing.

It does not taste as bad as it might sound ( no! ), though after a couple of Gehirnkleber the final taste in one's mouth might be puke.

That's safe and has style. Brain glue is fatal especially after some tequilas, but appreciated by party animals here. You want to pick up your teeth with a broken arm in the morning?- Have some brain glue!

:eek: ouch :eek:

Thanks Post Toxic...see, you learn something new everyday. Brain glue it will be tomorrow night. I'll be partying after giving a talk at the gallery (bar accross the street). We'll see if the teeth remain intact:D.

Speaking of 'bitters', has anyone had Fernet Branca before? Talk about medicinal tasting. It's a type of Amaro - an Italian digestif - but unlike normal Amaro (which has fairly balance levels of sweetness and bitterness) it's discernibly more bitter tasting. Apparently Fernet Branca and Cola is almost the national drink of Argentina. Even then, it still tastes like cough mixture.

My father liked Fernet Branca, I remember a Fernet bottle in our living room bar that was replaced by another once it was emptied.

On a similar theme, i.e. Italian drinks, I've recently discovered Tuaca. Made in Tuscany it's a brandy-based liqueur flavoured with orange and vanilla (in the main). The flavourings are quite subtle and although it's sweet, it's not too sweet. You can make a nice 'Mule' with it too - i.e. replacing the vodka with it.

Honestly the best vodka I've had was Zoladkowa from Poland. Herbs and bitter orange make it taste like an adult lemonade - the right thing for a hot summer's day I feel. It's smooth and not too sweet. You can drink quite a lot of it and still have a clear mind, which is very much not the case with the likes of Pushkin Red or Gorbatschow.

I feel the upcoming summer will mark the end of my soberness... ;)

Beer at my favorite bar with my favorite bartender and a friend unseen since Christmas and boy did we imbibe.... Thursday night throwdown... the crowd, the band, and the bartender too.....Glad to be in walking distance.....

Multiple Harp's lagers and Beck's bottled

You can get Harp in the USA? Never knew that. Funny as it tastes like crap on the UK mainland but when I've had it in Northern Ireland (where I work and where it's brewed) it tastes much better. I normally stick to Guinness though (same company as you probably already knew).

Had a swell evening with the brainglue and some beers. I probably wont have those things again (the former) as they are still too damned sweet. And by the time the syruppy stuff is cut, so has been the alcohol content. Better off with the boilermakers. But I'm always up for a try.

Harp has long been available here in the Boston area. It's quite good out of the tap, and bottled isn't too bad either. But I would expect it to be a far cry from that brewed in its homeland. I've never been to Ireland, but when I had Bass in the UK back in 1993, it was worlds better than the Bass they pitch at you here.

I also found a great new friend in Bishop's Finger over there. A Kentish ale with plenty of body. Gotta love the nickname too: "Nun's Delight." :D

Didn't know you lived in Boston but I guess that explains it.
Just sitting here sipping Tuaca, having a smoke and eating some chilli-flavoured chocolate btw. Happy Friday everybody.

sat on the back porch today in a t shirt drinking beer. beautiful day here.

the one on the right:

DSCN4144.jpg

will continue tonight with this:
Jack_Daniels_Whiskey.jpg

or this:

img

but not both. hopefully.

two forty's of Steel Reserve...Big damn suprise. Finished a balcony job hours away. Me and the F- 350 listened to Beatles records until I made it home and found the old guy who sells those giant bottles. They are shaped like funnels, and its a good thing, cause I had to drink them quickly...as there were the usual issues about getting inside the house.

Anyone evr try to calculate how many beers they've drank in their life? Me, I figure to have averaged 3 or 4 per night (some nights 8 some nights zero, some nights twelve, followed by two zeros, etc) for 27 years...so its just about math. Whew, it can be alarming.

Reminds me of an email that was going around a couple of months ago showing how much more money a person would have today if they invested in beer and then recycled the cans instead of investing in the stock market. :D

Beer at my favorite bar with my favorite bartender and a friend unseen since Christmas and boy did we imbibe.... Thursday night throwdown... the crowd, the band, and the bartender too.....Glad to be in walking distance.....

Multiple Harp's lagers and Beck's bottled

Had a few Harps myself whilest away on my trip to the flatlands of Ohio. A pretty cool place called, The Pub. Brand spanking new version of an old time English/Irish/Scotish(the servers wear kilts:eek:) pub. The food was good. I switched to 20oz. Stellas after dinner. Yum!:)

well, I went with the wine last night, so tonight:

ipa_label.gif

and

Jack_Daniels_Whiskey.jpg

good thing my wife is in Mexico.

That sounds nice slimedog, eggnog in April...
for me it's a nice red wine.
Tomorrow maybe a nice White.

Actually went looking for it in the stores and it was a no go, I think it's only a winter beverage. I had some brandy and thought it was a good choice. Wine just gives me a headache & it's too bad cause I live now near wine country in Calif.

Maybe you need to have the right kind of wine...
Unless of course your like my father, who is allergic to the tannins in red wine.
Sorry you didn't find the eggnog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back