What are you listening to now? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to M. Ward's The Transfiguration of Vincent. Probably the best album from 2003, at least to me. His cover of Bowie's "Let's Dance" is worth the price alone. Too bad he doesn't tour Spain that often...

ma friend has that version of exodus that is all stretched out & dubbey
dont know who does it ,but its good for levitating.

Well there were dubs of most of Marley's releases made when the rough mixes were done at Tuff Gong. They were on B sides of the Jamaican singles or extended 12" versions. A lot of different people were responsible for the final mixes, but Familyman did most of the rough mixes and many of the dubs.

Anything that was "remixed" after Marley died should be gathered together into a neat, tall pile and burned. Then burn the ashes, so we're sure it's really dead.

Imagine you work your entire life to master a craft and 20 years after you die some idiot comes along and does "his version" of your work using your master tapes.

That's like Ecco hiring some young poets to "remix" Bukowski's releases, and "modernize" and "improve" them for today's audience. What bullshit.

Well there were dubs of most of Marley's releases made when the rough mixes were done at Tuff Gong. They were on B sides of the Jamaican singles or extended 12" versions. A lot of different people were responsible for the final mixes, but Familyman did most of the rough mixes and many of the dubs.

Anything that was "remixed" after Marley died should be gathered together into a neat, tall pile and burned. Then burn the ashes, so we're sure it's really dead.

Imagine you work your entire life to master a craft and 20 years after you die some idiot comes along and does "his version" of your work using your master tapes.

That's like Ecco hiring some young poets to "remix" Bukowski's releases, and "modernize" and "improve" them for today's audience. What bullshit.

the verve label is doing that with a lot of old jazz tunes. atroscious (sp?). a stoning is in order. might as well throw in the people who thought up colourizing b&w movies. and regis philbin, no real reason, it just seems like the right thing to do.

is pink floyd still pink floyd without syd barrett? genesis without peter gabriel? dinosaur jr. without lou barlow(though he's now back)? black sabbath without ozzy(comes and goes)? the doobie brothers with or without michael macdonald?is spinal tap still spinal tap???????
most of the bands I mentioned here, I could give a rats ass about. but when can you say that a band is not that band anymore because a core member left/died/was kicked out. I'm not making a call or judgement here, I'm asking an honest question because i don't know the answer.

but when can you say that a band is not that band anymore because a core member left/died/was kicked out.
What's the formula? I don't know. If inconsequential members leave or die (see Spinal Tap's drummers ;)), that doesn't really change the creative nexus or "soul" of the group.

When Joe Strummer hired a bunch of sidemen and continued to make "Clash" records after Mick Jones and Paul Simenon left the group, that was not the Clash, and Joe should have dropped the name (which he eventually did). He later expressed his regret at allowing the Clash to break up in the first place, saying that chemistry is the main ingredient in a great band, and you cannot force it or recreate it.

When Johnny Thunders and Jerry Nolan left the New York Dolls, they not only took the entire sound of the group with them, but the chemistry that made the band what it was, for better or worse, vanished. You could say that for a lot of the groups you mentioned as well. Continuing on and being successful (Genesis) is possible, but it's a different group.

At the moment I am listening to "Red" by King Crimson... and what a great fucking album it is. Definitely in my top-ten.

I seem to remember when the velvet underground went touring without john cale,lou,sterling or maureen tucker ,now if i hadda been old enough & with it enough to get to that gig you could say i woulda been slightly pissed off at seeing a bad kareoke version of a great band ,if you get my drift. very much agree with comment about Thunders & Nolan.

I want to say I agree with Henry about Led Zep being overrated, agree with Steve about the Dolls and Red is a great album. Eno being mentioned twice is nice, he's my Bukowski in music-meaning my favorite.

Just learned downloading a couple of weeks ago and I'm listening to my self-made compilations of early cbgb bands-Ramones, Talking Heads, Blondie, Richard Hell, Dead Boys, Suicide etc.

I saw Queens of the Stone Age open for Nine Inch Nails and it should have been the other way around. amazing band. i love everything Josh Homme touches. one of my favorites.

oh yeah, I also love eagles of death metal. I actually havent had a chance to see dvd by sexy but I'm sure it's amazing. I've been listening to Death By Sexy for a while now and it doesnt seem to be showing any signs of getting old.
its just really happy music.

Beck - New Pollution

I saw Queens of the Stone Age open for Nine Inch Nails and it should have been the other way around. amazing band. i love everything Josh Homme touches. one of my favorites.

i caught that show twice
san diego and hollywood
QOTSA was a hard act to follow
but nin pulled it off easily

rock on brotha
:cool:

Neutral Milk Hotel In the airplane over the sea has got to be one of my favourite albums ever

Of course! The new Dylan

and just finally got the Wilco live from chicago album

Tom waits is sold out everywhere in this town

I have been listening to Nina Simone all day and I actually took the cover and made a large drawing of her. Love to draw black people as oposed to white because of the difference in shadow and light. Anyway does anyone know/like her?

new Explosions In The Sky "All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone"

and it's fucking amazing. mindblowing, magical, and fantastical.

Gustav

Mahler's 1st Symphony performed by Pierre Boulez.... Awesome.
I can hear why Bukowski enjoyed him so much: endless melody,
sound colors of every variety, skillful orchestration... a moving,
biographical kind of music that sounds like Mahler is reflecting
back upon his childhood at the same time he knows that death
is eventually coming... but not too serious, boring or heavy. As a
former musician, I listen to everything...jazz, rock, classics... but
happen to be going through a classical phase at the moment and
thoroughly enjoying it. Best wishes to everyone, and happy listening.

"”Poptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mahlers 6th
Cecil Taylor - Dark To Themselves
Alasnoaxis - Dogs of Great Indifference
Keith Jarrett - everything
and lots of Bach for the new baby boy

Where the hell would humanity be without music?

[...]
Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before - The Smiths
Plug In Baby - Muse
Dancing Shoe - Arctic Monkeys (Rhythms Del Mundo - Buena Vista Social)
My Doorbell - White Stripes
Phat Planet - Leftfield
Sabotage - Beastie Boys
[...]

Low-Christmas songs

Tom Waits-Rain Dogs

Rogues Gallery-compilation of pirate songs covered by the likes of bryan ferry, jarvis cocker, nick cave, baby cramps etc (tis grreat ooh argh!)

Joanna Newsom- (the new one who's name i forget)

Sparks- Lil Beethoven

oh and the sound of the giant seagulls who live in brighton attempting to pick the lock of our garbage shed

the monks

okay ill talk for a second
im listening to ' the monks' MONKTIME '66

monks open for led zep reunion???ill be there floating above the crowd.

Sparks- Lil Beethoven
Congrats on the choice of Sparks! That's a great album, too.

In my ears lately, I've been cramming the following:

Julee Cruise - Floating Into The Night/The Voice Of Love

Bill Frisell - Intercontinentals

Faith No More - Angel Dust

George Michael - Older

Lawnmore Deth - Ooh Crikey

Cocteau Twins - Treasure

nick cave and the bad seeds: the boatman's call. i like the somber delivery. and there's some surprise in the lyric.

Mahler's 1st Symphony performed by Pierre Boulez.... Awesome.
I can hear why Bukowski enjoyed him so much: endless melody, sound colors of every variety, skillful orchestration... a moving, biographical kind of music that sounds like Mahler is reflecting back upon his childhood at the same time he knows that death is eventually coming... but not too serious, boring or heavy. As a former musician, I listen to everything...jazz, rock, classics... but happen to be going through a classical phase at the moment and thoroughly enjoying it. Best wishes to everyone, and happy listening.

i love the 5th, the one everyone knows, well - the adagio movement - from "death in venice." i have a double vinyl album which includes "the death of children." mahler's wife thought that he tempted fate with this piece, and must have been a seer because i think it wasn't long after that that they lost their daughter! it eventually became known as a tribute to her.

some one back there mentioned tonio k. - i remember and liked very much tonio k. - basically it was one guy - took his name after a thomas mann story. made a couple albums and dropped out of the scene. "love among the ruins"! yes indeed. (this all happened in the mid-70s by the way.)

paul

Henry, I heard from some good friends of mine that EitS is coming to St. Pete and Jacksonville soon (close enough to me anyways) and that at least two of them would be willing to drop 100 bucks on seeing them. Thoughts? I've never listened to them/it/whatever.

At the moment: Rickie Lee Jones - Duchess of Coolsville (Disc 1)

This woman's voice can cause spontaneous erections I tells ya.

My girlfriend played drums on a Rickie Lee Jones album. That's got nothing to do with anything, but I thought I'd throw it in there. ;)

Sigur Ros - VON!

Keren Ann - Nolita!

Both great albums I got for christmas.

i got some books:

Collected Poems of Pablo Neruda.
The 9/11 Commission Report: Omissions and Distortions.
The Rought Guide to Conspiracy Theories

(I'm not conspiracist but my family seem to think so ever since I became convinced that 9/11 was an inside job)

I was hoping to get: Roominghouse Madrigals! (I'll need to buy it myself)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back