What are you listening to now? (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Booker White

Oh man, it's been a lot of Blind Lemon Jefferson, Sippie Wallace and Mississippi Fred Mcdowell, but lately I can't get some of those Amy Winehouse tunes out of my head....

Hey how about Booker White (aka Bukka)? There's a guy who wrote straight out of life like Bukowski, no worn out old lyrics and cliches there. And ditto for Furry Lewis on the humorous side. I have a mix tape where right after Buk reading "The Night I Killed Tommy" I put Furry Lewis's song about the roaches and bed bugs playing each other at baseball, and stealing his pillow and wallet. Over the years I've grown to like those two guys more than Robert Johnson even.

i'm listening to some kind of terrible swing music because i'm at work and i've been out-voted by my tyrannical colleagues. this music makes me want to kill myself. or a customer.

But yeah, Prince. We used to go see him play on weeknights at Uncle Sam's (which later became First Avenue, as featured in Purple Rain), and he was and is one supremely talented (and funny) motherfucker, if I do say so.

God I'm jealous,
And just left Las Vegas w/o seeing him.

I so respect his musicanship..
All music written by, performed by, composed by and arranged by....
Yeah, all that jazz...
And his ___________ is undefinable ;)

And mjp,
You really saw him play?!
1st Ave in MN?,
Any recordings on you?
(I've got some great bootleg after-show 'concerts')

Wow, (and becoming even more jealous!),

dolittle

And mjp,
You really saw him play?!
1st Ave in MN?,
Well Sam's/First Avenue - and more so the little attached punk dive the 7th St. Entry - were our hangouts, and if you hung around there you couldn't avoid Prince for a while.

It wasn't uncommon to see all the guys from the Time, Sheila E (wicked percussionist, wicked!) and Prince's band on stage at once, with Prince playing drums on a couple songs, then bass for a while, singing a few songs...

It was cool, and you kind of could feel that it was a fleeting thing while it was happening, so I think everyone appreciated being there during that little space in time.

But he played all the time in MPLS, you just had to know the right people and you'd hear about an unannounced show every month or so. More often before tours.

But I don't have tapes or anything. I think I have one live bootleg of the Black album, and the original Crystal Ball around here somewhere. But I didn't chase down much unreleased stuff. He released more music commercially than I could keep up with.

Hey how about Booker White (aka Bukka)? There's a guy who wrote straight out of life like Bukowski, no worn out old lyrics and cliches there. And ditto for Furry Lewis on the humorous side. I have a mix tape where right after Buk reading "The Night I Killed Tommy" I put Furry Lewis's song about the roaches and bed bugs playing each other at baseball, and stealing his pillow and wallet. Over the years I've grown to like those two guys more than Robert Johnson even.

Hey mrbgoode, thanks for the suggestions! I have not listened to Booker White or Furry Lewis before, but I did catch some video of both on youtube. Pretty coold stuff, I especially liked Furry Lewis. Thanks again!

Yeah, Prince KICKS ASS!
I didn't like him at all during the mid-80s and still think, albums like 'Parade' consist only of surface. But then came 'Sign o the Times' - WOW! And his 'Diamons and Pearls' and 'Love Symbol' are simply Creative Explosions!
I wish I'd seen him jamming around at your hangouts! Musta been one hell of a time!

sure, Pixies go RIGHT THROUGH YOUR NERVES and BRAINS!

but, as I already stated after reading about the 'Surfer Rosa'-album here so much, I need to stress again:
The DEFINITE Pixies-album of All Times IS and WILL BE :

- doolittle -

no doubt, kids!
(I do admit, that 'surfer' has 'Where is my mind' or that 'Bossanova' has 'Dig for fire' or 'Down to the well', BUT 'Doolittle' is concisting of Highlights Only, isn't it?

"Debaser" - 2:52
"Tame" - 1:55
"Wave of Mutilation" - 2:04
"I Bleed" - 2:34
"Here Comes Your Man" - 3:21
"Dead" - 2:21
"Monkey Gone to Heaven" - 2:56
"Mr. Grieves" - 2:05
"Crackity Jones" - 1:24
"La La Love You" - 2:43
"No. 13 Baby" - 3:51
"There Goes My Gun" - 1:49
"Hey" - 3:31
"Silver" - 2:25
"Gouge Away" - 2:45

Now - ANYONE come and tell me, there's ONE bad song there!

Last edited by a moderator:
sure, Pixies go RIGHT THROUGH YOUR NERVES and BRAINS!
[...]

Chronic, Roni:
the Pixies album i have is one i borrowed from the library and ripped on my computer. i didn't have internet at the time so i typed in the track-listing manually. now, i had a feeling something was a little off because i was certain that the first song was called 'debaser' and not 'bone machine'... but i wasn't familiar enough with the stuff to be sure... but i'm listening to this album now, and it suddenly occurs to me that i can update the album information... and guess what? it's not fuckin' surfer rosa - it's doolittle!!

and i'm also listening to the new pumpkins' single 'tarantula' - it is fucking cool. but there's a remote possibility it's not that cool, and i'm just blinded by love and overwhelming gratitude that they've finally put out new music.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh...today is Saturday, the phone is turned off, and Medeski, Martin & Wood's "Uninvisible" is turned up...Ssssnake Anthony...the Oxycodone and the Potato Vodka working quietly in the background.

saw a documentary on the beeb the other night about Scott Walker and so on a bright sunny day it's inspired me to dig out Scott 1,2,3 and the mighty Scott 4, genius :)

In the port of Amsterdam there's a sailor who drinks....

the Oxycodone and the Potato Vodka working quietly in the background.

Babe, you're taking Oxycodone AND Vodka at the same time??? And still they only work QUIETLY in the BACKGROUND??? - You must have the metabolism of an elephant!

Yes, in fact it seems a rather good marriage, if I may say so myself. The synthetics keep me sharp as a Gerber, and the potata peels provide a lovely glow at the hearth.

Perry Farrell's Satellite Party Ultra Loaded

(at least 2 songs are better than the very best of Janes Addiction,
and 1 is 10x worse my least fav of Js A,
I think,
Or maybe it's brilliant and going over my head...
and will land soon, and I'll say
"Brilliant!")

I dig the cover too tho
;)
And Perry's a trip->
I want what ever hes having

i just got given an bootleg audio recording of the smashing pumpkins' first show of the new tour, at Le Grand Rex in Paris... Henry Chinaski, it kicks ass!! the new album is gonna be fucking fantastic; corgan's voice sounds better than it ever has, and the new guitarist is better than james iha.

i'm playing it at full volume.

Fweakin' Fwankie ona Youtube!

One of my all time favorites, Black Napkins

Certainly not the thunder and whiplash version I'd seen live some twelve years earlier, but a lovely arrangement nonetheless.

carnavasCDArt.jpg

Fweakin' Fwankie ona Youtube!
One of my all time favorites, Black Napkins
Certainly not the thunder and whiplash version I'd seen live some twelve years earlier, but a lovely arrangement nonetheless.
Again I Say...." I may not matter" But....I remember seeing Frank Zappa in 1973..Driving by myself to the Shrine Auditorium...in the heart of the gas crunch.. to see.. the great and powerful Frank Zappa and I was overwelmed at the young age of 18 and driving a Toyota -I parked in private covered parking at the college next door- at the wealth of talent that exuded from Mr. Zappa..Thank God for that......So you're link was a trip back. Thank you this Bukowski.net is truly above average and great.

....Thank You..Mr. MJP you did good.:)

Thank you and have a nice day.

I thought-before- that that photo of Ms. Hubbard was Bogthing. I read and I learn. Because I didn't use to be able to read.

Henry Chinaski

Deep Purple - Arte Shaw & Helen Forrest

[This video is unavailable.]

Ham On Rye - Chapter 44

"I thought I saw some fireflies but I wasn't sure."

Sorry about the mis understanding, but I tend to read this site with a cocktail or three. I have learned -from your tales of drunken sailors -that your are the man.
Frank Zappa is a bit over most people's head- especially mine. I just keep looking up.
Bak to the subject matter---Classical Music

Sorry about the mis understanding, but I tend to read this site with a cocktail or three. I have learned -from your tales of drunken sailors -that your are the man.
Frank Zappa is a bit over most people's head- especially mine. I just keep looking up.
Bak to the subject matter---Classical Music

Por Natha man, I also partake whilst sitting at the keyboard. Hell, the Vodka's damn near finished as I peck away!

I write and respond (and drink) to emails just to "Keep The Angels Away", you know?

da capo by Love. Was saddened last summer when I learned that Arthur Lee had passed away. Second psychedelic pioneer to go that season. First was Syd Barrett. Boom bip bip, boom bip bip, yeah!

Black ghost blues - by Lightning Hopkins.
soon to be reached on the playlist are Johnny Cash, Keren Ann and Itamar Zeigler.

every second spent not listening to them is a second wasted.

Bill Callaghan's (formerly smog) new album, which I'm not too sure about at the mo, though 'Diamond Dancer' is a groovy little number.

Also an excellent collabaration between Nina Nastasia and Jim White.

Oh and I'm also listening to me learning to play the ukulele :D

Listening to a song by Del Amitri from circa 1990 called Nothing Ever Happens

Post office clerks put up signs saying position closed
And secretaries turn off typewriters and put on their coats
Janitors padlock the gates
For security guards to patrol
And bachelors phone up their friends for a drink
While the married ones turn on a chat show

And theyll all be lonely tonight and lonely tomorrow

Gentlemen time please, you know we cant serve anymore
Now the traffic lights change to stop, when theres nothing to go
And by five oclock everythings dead
And every third car is a cab
And ignorant people sleep in their beds
Like the doped white mice in the college lab

Nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all
The needle returns to the start of the song
And we all sing along like before

And well all be lonely tonight and lonely tomorrow

Telephone exchanges click while theres nobody there
The martians could land in the carpark and no one would care
Close-circuit cameras in department stores shoot the same video every day
And the stars of these films neither die nor get killed
Just survive constant action replay

Bill hoardings advertise products that nobody needs
While angry from manchester writes to complain about
All the repeats on t.v.
And computer terminals report some gains
On the values of copper and tin
While american businessmen snap up van goghs
For the price of a hospital wing

Theyll burn down the synagogues at six oclock
And well all go along like before

No idea what happened to them, they weren't a hugely successful band. Not a huge fan of all their stuff but a couple of their songs were good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back