What are you listening to now? (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To tie some of this together. That giorno/ubuweb site has Zappa reading Burroughs' The Talking Asshole. At least I think it's Bill Burroughs' story. Also some Buk on one of the lps. Look around in there. The world is almost making sense at this particular moment. And that's always a bad sign for the future.

Thanks for your post! I'm a big Zappa and Burroughs fan, so it was really something to hear Zappa reading The Talking Asshole by Burroughs. And there's readings by Burroughs I have'nt heard before. Great!...

Last edited by a moderator:
Frank Zappa

Oh yeah. "Freak Out" and "Hot Rats" too. I loved his autobiography.
Zappa saw through the falsity of things just like Bukowski did. A great
spirit and musician...he died way too soon.

Listening to now? Fifteen soundtrack CDs on shuffle mode"”
I have no idea what's going to pop up next. Just the way
I like it.

Turin Brakes - The Optimist LP
Jeff Buckley - Live At Sin-e
Lucinda Williams - Live at the Fillmore
Ryan Adams - Love is Hell pt.1
Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - Cold Roses
Billy Bragg & Wilco - Mermaid Avenui vol II

talking about gifted artists who died way too young - Jeff Buckley is definitely someone who should have stuck around a lot longer. ever get that tight feeling in your chest, like someone's blowing up a balloon, when a song or piece of music really gets to you? i get that a lot when i listen to his stuff.

not really liking the Billy Bragg & Wilco album. that guy's voice grates on my nerves for some reason.

Vic Chestnutt - "West of Rome"
i discovered in the liner notes that the title track was written after he read the John Fante novel.

the soft boys - underwater moonlight

One of my all-time favourite albums. Came across it in a long gone shop in Vancouver (it had a Canadian release on vinyl). And then again in cd reissue a few years ago. I Wanna Destroy You. Kingdom of Love.

Too bad we lost Syd Barrett and Arthur Lee last year.

yes, the cd reissue is full of gems.
people talk about the influence they had on bands like REM (and REM has said as much), but on some tracks, I swear I could be listening to Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.

So far this evening: Willie Dixon - I Am The Blues & The Doors - LA Woman.

In Progress: Tom Waits - Used Songs

Coming up (but subject to change of mood): Robert Fripp - Exposure (First Edition), Harry Nilsson - Son of Schmilsson, Roy Harper - HQ, and then, if I'm still up for it, Brian Eno - Another Green World. Enough for one evening?

Ahh..good ol'Frankie boy. Always a good choice...

Bill Evans-Bill's hit tune. Hangover cure.

Version: The Balboa Jazz Club in Madrid (1979).

the soft boys - underwater moonlight
Never listened to them yet. Name of the band is a combi of Burroughs wild boys and soft machine, right?

Ponder said:
Name of the band is a combi of Burroughs wild boys and soft machine, right?

I'm not sure,but that sounds totally plausible. I know that Hitchcock had a different name for the band, and at a gig at the last minute changed it to the Soft Boys. can't remember the original name.

Two great new releases that have been tending to my oral gratification...

Grinderman- Grinderman

Nick Cave returns in dramatic form with this Birthday Party-esque rock n roll album, this has certainly got me grinding it made me want to shout at people on my way to work! (oh and check out Mr Caves Lenny inspired handlebar on the inside cover)

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

A second outing and quite a follow up, some critics have called it disappointing but I can see it growing like an ivy into my brain.

If you can only afford one though I'd go for Grinderman, you have your orders...now go buy :)

THANKS! I had not heard of this CD! I'll pick it up asap. This is the one Nick Cave CD that seems to have been missed by me.

And yes, Nick Cave does look a bit like Lemmy in that pimp-eriffic moustache!

Best,
Bill

Nick Cave? Who the hell is that?

Morton Feldmans for Samuel Beckett & for Bunita Marcus.
Gidon Kremers (Bach) Sonatas and Partitas

Nick Cave? Who the hell is that?

is that a joke ROC?:confused:

If not, he's one of your country men summoned up from the firey depths of hell (not New Zealand) to unleash his own brand of rock and err roll. Also he occassionally keeps himself busy writing love ballads for Kylie Minogue!;)

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

A second outing and quite a follow up, some critics have called it disappointing but I can see it growing like an ivy into my brain.

I'm liking this one a lot, and I loved their first one.
I'll try Grinderman.

EDIT: just looked at amazon...it doesn't out in Canada until April!!! damn. the reviews on amazon.co.uk look promising, tho.

is that a joke ROC?:confused:

If not, he's one of your country men summoned up from the firey depths of hell (not New Zealand) to unleash his own brand of rock and err roll. Also he occassionally keeps himself busy writing love ballads for Kylie Minogue!;)

OH MY GOD is that a freakin' DIG at New Zealand???? Don't make me hurt you BSB...:D

(Of course, I'm only this wound up about it 'cos there's an Aussie involved...;) )

Sort of a joke... I really have never heard anything from Nick Cave as I'm not really interested in the form (flak jacket at the ready).
My tastes run a different path and there is not time for everything.

I should throw it back on you guys (with good humor) - you listen to some of Mr Feldmans work and I'll listen to Mr Cave.
Why should one be more obvious or relevant than the other?

Oh...and Danielle... your lack of punctuation is really annoying.
This is a forum dedicated to a writer. I think you could at least afford some full stops, commas and capitals every now and then.

Love,
Music and punctuation nazi.
AKA - ROC

mf15n5.jpg

Is this the guy ROC?

If so I'm liking the hair, it makes me want to know the music!

Here's something for you to enjoy God of grammar;

,.!?-;:()...,,""'!!!!!!!

Hehehe. Yup that's the guy. He sure was a shortsighted motherfucker. Which may explain the hair :)
He was a very entertaining and interesting writer too. You'll find several books buy him on any major site. Give My Regards To 8th Street being the most accessible.

Oh and ,.!?-;)...,,""'!!!!!!! to you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back