What are you listening to now? (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cirerita

Founding member
Led Zeppelin II blasting from the speakers.

What a monstrous, wondrous, glorious, fucking-ous sound!

Those guys sure knew what rhythm meant...

gonna crank it up!!!!!!!!!

[the stereo version is great, but grab if you can the upmixed 5.1 version made by the TOUP guys.]

I saw a Led Zeppelin concert in the 70's that was 3 hours long. It went by quickly though - only seemed like 2 hours and 45 minutes. ;)

Actually, they were very good. No bullshit, just slammed it home, song after song.

Okay, don't pass judgment until you've finished reading. I'm all into the new Paul Simon album "Surprise" BECAUSE it was produced by Brian Eno. Eno's ambient shit is all over this album. It sounds like a pop extension of "Another Green World." Now where the fuck did I leave my bong? Strange how I'm always misplacing bongs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a Led Zeppelin concert in the 70's that was 3 hours long. It went by quickly though - only seemed like 2 hours and 45 minutes. ;)
now I envy you ;)

I've tried all Sigur Ros albums so far... to no avail.

that recent zepplin live cd - how the west was won - was quite rockin'. reminded me of a prized bootleg cassette i had - cirerita, if you collect zepplin like you do neil you might know it - called 'stairway to moon'. it was so good i had to lend it to a friend and never saw it again.

cirerita said:
I've tried all Sigur Ros albums so far... to no avail.

I can understand that....it's a slow burner...very understated...very hard going at times...a patient kind of music...give it another spin!

( ) and Takk are the best they have produced yet...

that recent zepplin live cd - how the west was won - was quite rockin'.

How The West Was Won is quite weak & lame compared to the bootlegs available for that tour. The best boot for 1973 is Mobile--13May1973. It's only 2 discs but the sound is superb; Page is actually on target, and Plant's voice isn't as crackly & strained as heard on most other dates for 1973. The show in Fort Worth is very good, too, but Plant was sort of in a foul mood...

Get the file sharing program DC++ and you'll find all the Zep boots you want.
If you want to know the dates of some of the best shows just ask me.

Spliff.

Actually, they were very good. No bullshit, just slammed it home, song after song.

Yeah, Led Zeppelin is fucking great! Saw one of their concerts in 1970.
I remember Jimmy Page making "music" holding his guitar towards the antenna of a transistor radio!

Right now I'm listening to Bob Dylan "No direction home-the soundtrack". There's some pretty interesting alternate takes and live recordings on it...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they are/were great...surpassed or not. Even if nostalgia may play a part...

just listened to The Late Great Daniel Johnston - Discovered Covered.

the covers are quite good, IMHO. the originals are... errr, primitive though melodic??? didn't know this guy suffered from bipolar disorder...

Recently it's been a lot of Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions, Damon & Naomi, The Brian Jonestown Massacre and Galaxie 500

led zep isnt that great. they were alright back in their time...but nah, they've been surpassed.
A lot of groundbreaking music can seem trivial or unimportant without the context of the era when it was made. An 18 year old can listen to the Beatles, Ramones, Led Zeppelin or Bob Marley today and think, "Yeah, so what, I've heard this done better by other groups, this just sounds old and dusty!" But at the time these musicians were making their most influential work they were really turning things upside down and making music that was completely new to most of the people listening to it.

To draw a parallel to Bukowski, it's hard for us now in the 21st century to imagine what it was like reading one of his poems in the 1940's or early 50's. He didn't invent poetry, but he changed it, and his work shocked a lot of people back in the day. Same thing with Led Zeppelin. The weren't the first guys to amplify and rework the Blues, but they were the first to do it the way they did it, and they influenced a million other groups.

</end old man rant>

i saw jimmy page and robert plant at the glastonbury music festival about 10 yrs ago, and they were as strong as their studio recorded stuff. i never did manage to rouse from the tent to hear the 10am readings of kerouac's mexico city blues...

some things just aren't worth the effort. the guy thinks Led Zep is overrated, I think he's wrong. he's not going to convince me otherwise, and I won't convince him otherwise...save my breath.

don't get me wrong, I like led zep and own some of their stuff but I just think they are overrated.

now lets focus on the task at hand.
what are you listening to right now?

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Yanqui U. X. O.
9/15/00 (Part One)

i listening to stomach make funny noise

Radio Birdman aint so bad, nor for that matter is Iggy and most of the detroit
thing, pre '73 of cause.

Dear NYmark, isnt it funny how you managed to get the words paul simon
& the word shit in the one message, kinda ironic.

Radio Birdman aint so bad, nor for that matter is Iggy and most of the detroit thing, pre '73 of cause.
Radio Birdman worshipped the Stooges (the name of the group is a "misheard" Stooges lyric from the song 1970), and their Radios Appear record was a touchstone for a lot of young punk bands. We thought the Ramones played fast until we heard Radio Birdman...

2 points As far as listeming right now, Does anyone remember Tonio K?

re Led Zep
I had Zep tickkets lined up only to realize it was a scam.
Heres how the con workd
You bought a bus ticket for $100. That included your bus and ticket to the Buffalo show all to be given out onc on the bus
This new agency also had tickets for Elton John and some other bands all doing the summer tour thing.
He markleted himself as a new promoter.
So if you figure you can sell about 2-3 bus loads of teenagers dyin gto see their fav bands and each bus holds 47 seats and you have 5-10 concerts promted. There was about $10,000 to be made.
Night of the first concert. We're waiting for the bus, it doesn't show. You call the promoter he no longer exists. You're stuck with no ticket, an angry date and a case of beer that you now have to drink behind the mall.
Pretty good scam really but I think too much of music to cheat people who want to see soemthing they consider special.
Could have been worse I guess, the beer could have been American

dear MJP

Iggy & the Stooges played at the Big Day Out , our big rock fest earlier this year & my son who is 16 also heard Radio Birdman instead of radios buzzing an im sure he never got it from me cause he is into rap

...my son who is 16 also heard Radio Birdman instead of radios buzzing...
I heard radio burnin', so what do I know. ;)

I just came home from work and my girlfriend has the Beatles, Marley, Dylan and Stevie Wonder blasting in a five disc random play pattern, and it's pretty good so far. You never know with random play though. But I've also had a couple shots of vodka from the freezer, so it doesn't really matter what comes up next.

Ah, the Wailers' Exodus...yes, perfect...

Marley was a fucking genius and everybody knew that.

Last year I translated into Spanish Rita Marley's book about his relationship with Bob Marley. What a POC!

What is POC?

I was disappointed by Rita Marley's book. I was expecting some real insight or at least something that wasn't already known, but there wasn't much of that in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back