What are you listening to now? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a used cassette of Barb Wire Kisses by them, it's good. My car only plays cassettes- also Wall of Voodoo's ist ep & something by Japan, a band no one likes.

Japan with David Sylvian?
I've a weakness for their music. Gentlemen take polaroids, Tin drum, Oil on canvas, etc...
I also like some of Sylivan's solo albums. Serene atmosphere.

7116eb6709a0a8033df03110.L.jpg

b765228348a0cff19b5dd010.L.jpg

Japan with David Sylvian?
I've a weakness for their music. Gentlemen take polaroids, Tin drum, Oil on canvas, etc...
I also like some of Sylivan's solo albums. Serene atmosphere.

Hey, glad someone likes him-some of his solo stuff was nice and he worked with Robert Fripp, also.

They get lumped in with dreck like Flock of Seagulls sometimes.

Tin Drum is a perfect album for me-Still Life in Mobile Homes a favorite song.

B98 or Z98, something like that, eight uninterrupted minutes of your favorite hits, news, weather at the top of the hour, with Jen and Zack...B98!!

I'm on hold with the doctors office...and getting angrier by the second.

you know, when I was putting the album on yesterday and looking at the cover and thinking I should post it here, I figured someone on the forum would catch that.

printer geeks, man.....
:D

The delightful Tiger Lillies!

The Tiger Lillies are a TRIP man! A friend of mine in The Netherlands does a net music show and plays them all the time. They are unmistakable. And bizarre, and fun, and scary - as in psychopathic ax wielding clown scary.

Since this is a "currently listening to" thread I won't post what I have on my mind. I think I'll start a Music In General thread. If there isn't already one. Lemme go look...

cwbdva73950-2.jpg

R.E.M.'s last great album.
and is one of the best pop songs from the '90's.
says me (whoop de doo!)

I've been waffling between the Bob Dylan box set that came out late last year, the White Album, and Modest Mouse. My wife and I recently snagged some Bowie and Zappa from my father in law, as well as some Beatles stuff I haven't heard before soo... I'll be busy for awhile.

5 Regina Spektor and Wailers CDs on random shuffle. I haven't heard anything bad yet...the unlikely pairing is really paying off.

The Best of Gil Scott-Heron.

The Revolution will not be Televised.
Winter in America
Johannesburg
"B" Movie

All great stuff. Funky bass, actually played by a bass player with fingers!

I have Free Will on vinyl. One side is all militant, anti-establishment screaming and the other side contains some of the most beautiful soul grooves the 1970's ever saw IMHO - "The Middle Of Your Day", "Speed Kills", "Did You Hear What They Said"....

Played this one at work yesterday :
l%2520Scott%2520-%2520Who%2520Is%2520Jill%2520Scott%2520-%2520Words%2520%26%2520Sounds%2520vol.1.jpg

(Jill Scott's Who Is Jill Scott?)

Bukowski-net group on Last.fm?

I was just logging on to www.last.fm when this idea hit me. Why not create a Bukowski-net group there? (There already is a Bukowski-tag.) Then this thread could expand to the digital media. While reading about "what are you listening to now?" I could listen to it at the same time!
Maybe even MJP could embed a link to it from the site here...

Problem is I don't know much about groups on Last.fm. Does anyone else?

Ideas?

Funny you should put that Dictators album up there. Just this morning I was reading a Lester Bangs piece he wrote for NME in 1977 about the Clash, and he mentioned the Dictators.

--

"I was thinking about giving up writing about music altogether last year when all of a sudden I started getting phone calls from all these slick magazine journalists who wanted to know about this new phenomenon called, "punk rock." I was a little bit confused at first because as far as I was concerned punk rock was something that first raised its grimy snout in 1966 in groups like the Seeds and the Count Five and was dead and buried after the Stooges broke up and the first Dictators album bombed.

I mean, it's easy to forget that just a little over a year ago there was only one thing: the first Ramones album.

But who could have predicted that that record would have such an impact..."

--

Then it goes on for about 10,000 more words like most Lester Bangs stories or "reviews" (NME had to split the article over three issues it was so long).

I bought the Dictators albums, but I could never really latch on to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back