What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. #7 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iggy and Alice were down the road from each other back in the early 70s.

1970-11-15 Detroit_Free_Press.jpg

Alice Cooper and The Stooges played a lot of shows together. They were at the same level of the SHOWBIZ inferno at the same time in the same place. The Coopers turned pro and The Stooges were The Stooges, so their paths kind of diverged eventually, but they were all part of that same MC5 Detroit scene.

Both Alice Cooper and The Stooges were playing some fucked up music at the time though, much different than what they became known for (Listen to the Pretties For You album, or the Stooges songs L.A. Blues or Asthma Attack, you'll get the idea). So those shows were not exactly the dream shows you'd want to go back in time to see. Unless you really like that kind of thing.

Ah, I take that back. I'll go back in time to see them. Which door do I open?

This Remix of Jay Kill & The Hustle Standard is used as soundtrack for a lot of different Youtube videos. I really dig Jay Kills voice in this but unfortunately do not dig the original at all:

I find it kind of flat. But imagine Jay Kill fronting some fucked up blues group with this voice! That would be it, I tell ya.

not listening to this ironically. I just like it. I grew up with it because, "I'm on a bus on a psychedelic trip, readin murder books tryin-a stay hip."

not bad, not great. Coked outta their mind!
The Captain and Me is a great album... without challenging you to a duel or anything. I think cocaine was compulsory in recording studios in LA in the early 70s. Black Sabbath were sprinkling it on their cornflakes and stirring it in their tea just to get through the stuff:wb: when recording their fourth album there.
not listening to this ironically. I just like it. I grew up with it because, "I'm on a bus on a psychedelic trip, readin murder books tryin-a stay hip."
I loved that song, first time I heard it, the bit with the slidey/slow down of synths or guitars, not sure, made me feel dizzy- and I've never done drugs. I made the mistake a few years ago of having Dancing with Myself on a running playlist, looked like a nutcase, charging along . At a Damned concert a couple of years ago, a bus load of kids were down the front, all of them with Blonde Billy Idol hairdos, strange but sweet.:).
As far as credibility goes, does it matter:D.

[This video is unavailable.]

The song's okay. The thing for me is the pic. They look...tired, worn out, what-have-you. That's all I'm saying.

Some German punk nostalgia for ya. Title is incorrect, doesn't really look like the 80's. Maybe late 89 or something from the look of it, but I'd say early 90's.

JA confuses me. They were as important and as big as a band can be for a certain time and the musicianship is amazing but something doesn't stick for me.
Lately I'm closer to thinking that the drugs war is over and the drugs won.

That said, I listen to Jorma now and keep asking myself how did I miss him when I was younger?? What a player!

While Jorma is a great musician, early on he leaned too far in the "every chord is a Dom7 chord" direction. Everything had to have a blues edge and some of the material suffers form this myopic approach. Certainly Airplane were an eclectic band, but at their best, they combined melody, harmony and cutting-edge sound techniques that worked more than they didn't. I dig stuff like Embryonic Journey and Water Song, but I'd personally rather listen to Jack with his hot, tubey overdrive backing Grace on piano on tracks like Sunrise, Crazy Miranda, and Silver Spoon. The non-Airplane albums by Slick and Kantner from '70-'73 are as good as anything by the Airplane.

Some German old school Rap from Hamburg. I know that most of you can't understand fuck anything of this, but who listens to Rap for the lyrics anyway?

Seriously, this is some nicely chilled tune, I think.

Two t.v programme theme tunes I remember when I was young, Mountain's one was for a political show and Pentangle's a sit-com, I loved the music.Found them recently, but when I looked up who Owen Coffin was, what a horrific, sad event.

Funny, I happened to see the "instructions for extras" taped to the door at that shoot:

ATTENTION ALL BACKGROUND: PLEASE STAND IN FRONT OF ONE BIN AND DON'T MOVE. PULL OUT A RECORD EVERY 10 TO 15 SECONDS, AND FLIP IT OVER. LOOK AT THE BACK FOR FIVE SECONDS AND RETURN THE RECORD TO THE BIN. REPEAT PROCESS IN SAME BIN UNTIL SONG ENDS.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT CHANGE BINS! DO NOT MOVE FROM YOUR SPOT!
THANK YOU.
SPECIAL NOTE TO WHOEVER STANDS AT COUNTER IN FRONT OF STACK OF 7" SINGLES: JUST THINK "BORED ASSHOLE" AND YOU'LL BE PERFECT.
THANK YOU.
LUNCH BREAK AT 11:00 AM, NO LUNCH PROVIDED.

I want to dedicate this one to mjp. I have a gut feeling it's just the thing he enjoys secretly tapping his toes to. It speaks to the problems of youth and is somehow French, who could ask for more?

It sounds a bit as if it was recorded with a potato, true. But this is only because the version with the million views I remember seems to be gone. She probably threatened to keel the dude who uploaded it.

I just watched a documentary worth watching,
Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me
And remembered how much I always loved this song,

and knowing that he suffers from Alzheimer and has forgotten just about everything. I loved to hear him say of the things that he couldn't remember, that it he didn't need to know that...
and the last song he recorded, I'm Not Gonna Miss You

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back