What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. Volume 8 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw Jesse Malin's StrummerJam tribute to Joe Strummer last night at the Bowery Ballroom in NY. Kilerr show. Tommy Stinson kicked the tribute portion w a great "Hateful". HR did an excellent job on "Police & Thieves". So...listening to lots of Joe Strummer & the Clash.
20180825_225453.jpg
20180825_234750.jpg

imagine hearing this when it first came out!
Some of us don't have to imagine what it was like. :)

I have to say though, that in the scheme of things in and around The Summer Of Love, "Walrus" wasn't that odd. Keep in mind that it came out after Revolver and Sgt. Pepper.

What's really amazing to consider is that there were less than four years between I Want To Hold Your Hand and I Am The Walrus.

yeah i didn't think of that. i was having one of those magical "hearing it fresh" moments and it was freaking me out in a great way.

i was still in diapers when it came out so i can't honestly say i remember hearing it then. my dad was a pseudo hippie so i'm sure
it was on at the house and in the car.

true. must admit i like that tune for the drums. as stiff as he is. check it out...

but if you want to see/hear a musical drummer -

Last edited:
Neil Peart is a great drummer and I like his lyrics as well. I don't want to go in a debate, but I prefer the drumming of Neil and I think he's very 'musical'. Neil's drumming always fits and accentuates the lyrics as well.

not to stir up anything (i'd NEVER do that) but there's nothing musical about RUSH. :DD

and as much as i've enjoyed him, his drumming sounds more like math than music.

That is your opinion. I have heard people say that about Rush before. I get it. But that's not my opinion.
I am a musician, and I think they are very 'musical'. Rush is not for everyone, but if you get it it is really good. It's not like "de do do do, de da da da", or like "coo coo cachoo", but it is good. They do their own thing, they always have done.
Rush, you hate them or you love them. A bit like Bukowski.

I remember a friend introducing me to Rush at the end of the 1980ies. I listened to the album Hold Your Fire and found it great. The music and the lyrics.

you ever seen what a RUSH audience looks like?

i win. :DD

Rush is a great band, man. You just don't get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a German proverb: Über Geschmack lässt sich nicht streiten = you cannot argue about taste.
If my dictionary is right, in English-language countries you say: There is no accounting for taste.

you ever seen what a RUSH audience looks like?
As a member of a Rush audience back in the 70s, I have to say that we looked (back then) like any other bunch of dirty young creeps stuffed into a hockey arena. But I also have to say that it was one of the only concerts I ever attended where I almost fell asleep while the headlining band was playing.

People like to cite Neil Peart as a "great" drummer the same way they cite Yngwie Malmsteen as being a "great" guitar player. In both cases "great" meaning striving for technical perfection and excessive fiddly-ness. It's a different method of appreciating musicians than most people have. Most people value music with feeling, not music that is "technical" but utterly devoid of feeling.

Pretensions of superior musicianship aside, I could never get past Geddy Lee's voice. Every time I heard it I felt like I was being punished for something I didn't do.

As a member of a Rush audience back in the 70s, I have to say that we looked (back then) like any other bunch of dirty young creeps stuffed into a hockey arena.

i was thinking of the audience now. like in that recent documentary that i saw more than once and liked alot.

RUSH was my favorite band when i was a teenager so i consider myself an objective critic of them. :rolleyes:

i saw them multiple times in the late seventies and am shocked to remember being 6' 4" and being able to squeeze into jeans size 28 waist. the too tight t-shirt and feathered, center-parted hair completed the uniform worn, like you said, like every other hard rockin juvenile delinquent.

Geddy Lee‘s voice can be an obstacle, yes. But 30 years ago the music felt so strong that the voice of the lead singer didn‘t really matter.

I've seen Rush live in 2004 and 2008. It was great.

I like Neil Peart's drumming not because it's technical. I like it because it moves me. I don't like Rush because they are technically proficient, I like them because their music moves me. I just love their music. I don't like musicians like Yngwie Malmsteen, I don't like bands like Dream Theater. But I love Rush. I love their lyrics and message as well. They are also very nice, intelligent, and down to earth guys, in my opinion.

Listen to a song like Bravado. That's just beautiful in my opinion. But I totally get it if you don't like them. But don't tell me why I like them, because you are wrong. Most Rush fans get very emotional listening to certain songs. I've seen people with tears in their eyes at Rush concerts. I don't think you see that at Yngwie Malmsteen concerts.

Rush is not devoid of feeling in my opinion. Many of their songs really get to me. There is a lot of emotion in it. Otherwise I wouldn't like them.

I think this is just beautiful music.

Even in that demo version of the song, the New York Dolls technical proficiency shines through.

I just read Sylvain's book, There's No Bones in Ice Cream. Apparently he was responsible for everything about the Dolls. Well, as they say, history belongs to those who tell it. Anyway, it's entertaining and has some bits you might not have read anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back