What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. Volume 8 (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought the Sylvain book.

It better be good, or you will get all my karate.

ALL OF IT.

Reactions: mjp
I consider myself duly warned.

From the book: A lot of it depended on who we were billed alongside. [...] Rush, up in Canada, was scarcely a blend we'd have chosen for ourselves.

20110315-235654-295429.jpg

My friend is having The Waldos play his birthday here in March. Should be a good time.

My brother-in-law lived down that way in the 90's for abt 10 years. V cool little historical piece. And there's a great rock theatre in Philly, The Trocadero also in Chinatown, that used to be a burlesque theatre in the 70's. Bert Kreischer just released his latest stand up show filmed there.

Last edited:
Bert Jansch was a great guitar player. I learned a lot by trying to figure out some of his songs. Davy Graham was another great guitarist. Bert played Davy's Anji, which is a song I love to play as well.

I'm listening to this. Why? Because I was there and it was fuckin' awesome...but then I had to leave after the 5th song because my friend was so fucked up on vodka going thru bad shit. As a friend I had to go. But damn, what a great show.

Steve Miller happened to be there recording, late at night, and he just breezed in. 'Hey, what's happening, man? Can I use the studio?' 'Yeah!' I said. 'Can I drum for you? I just had a fucking unholy argument with the guys there.' I explained it to him, took ten minutes to get it off my chest. So I did a track, he and I stayed that night and did a track of his called My Dark Hour. I thrashed everything out on the drums. There's a surfeit of aggressive drum fills, that's all I can say about that. We stayed up until late. I played bass, guitar and drums and sang backing vocals. It's actually a pretty good track.

It was a very strange time in my life and I swear I got my first grey hairs that month. I saw them appearing. I looked in the mirror, I thought, I can see you. You're all coming now. Welcome.

Steve Miller recalls it a little bit differently, but it's an interesting story either way.

In 1969, Miller was on his way to Olympic Studio in London to work with famed recording engineer Glyn Johns and finish mixing an album. Johns just so happened to be mixing a Beatles album at the time Miller was scheduled to stop by.

“They needed a couple extra days and Glyn said, ‘Just come on over, stay at my house, we’ll go to the sessions. It was amazing because it was 1969, they were The Beatles. He took me over to George’s house and George was so great. He opened the front door and said, ‘Hi Steve, I’ve listened to all your stuff. Children Of The Future, Sailor, they’re such great records, we love what you’re doing. Come on in, twirl the prayer-wheel and I’ll show you my synthesizer.’ I was just like… (gasps).”

“They were gonna record again the next day, cut some live tracks and Glyn said come on. John and Ringo didn’t show up and they had all the gear set up. George and Paul were there and they said, ‘Come on up in the studio, let’s jam a little bit.’"

“George had to go, but Paul and (his wife) Linda were there hanging out. Paul’s a great drummer, and I said, ‘Well, let me show you this thing I’m working on,’ and honestly within seconds it was like we had known each other all our lives. He wasn’t Paul McCartney anymore, all of that was gone. We started playing and really kicking it out, we did this tune called My Dark Hour. This was the moment I go, ‘I got it made.'”

When I listen to Beethoven, it has to be conducted by Furtwängler. No other conductor comes close to him...

After years of listening to Furtwängler conducting Beethoven Symphonies, I only just discovered his Bach stuff. He makes Bach sound a bit like Beethoven. I like it.

The first time I heard that on CD, it felt like I was hearing it for the first time. It's so lousy on vinyl. So lousy.

They knew it was going to sound lousy, and admitted as much on the inner sleeve: "This album has a longer running time than most average LP's therefore to achieve maximum effect PLAY THIS ALBUM LOUD."

loud.jpg

Unfortunately, cranking up the volume doesn't magically bring back the low end and the all-around fidelity, so it was always kind of unsatisfying, listening to that record.

The first time I heard that on CD, it felt like I was hearing it for the first time. It's so lousy on vinyl. So lousy.

They knew it was going to sound lousy, and admitted as much on the inner sleeve: "This album has a longer running time than most average LP's therefore to achieve maximum effect PLAY THIS ALBUM LOUD."

Unfortunately, cranking up the volume doesn't magically bring back the low end and the all-around fidelity, so it was always kind of unsatisfying, listening to that record.
Yeah, I noticed that too. Ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back