What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. Volume 8 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On stage they ain't got no roots rock rebel...
I found

hammersmith palais.jpg

this on the interwebs so...

Reactions: mjp
Ha - that's a great picture.

I was quoting Joe Strummer's "(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais":

Midnight to Six Man
for the first time from Jamaica
Dillinger and Leroy Smart
Delroy Wilson, your cool operator
Ken Boothe, UK pop reggae
with backing bands sound systems
if they've got anything to say
there's many black ears here to listen
but it was Four Tops all night with encores from stage right
charging from the bass knives to the treble
but on stage they ain't got no roots rock rebel
on stage they ain't got no roots rock rebel
dress back, jump back, this is a bluebeat attack

I know you know that, but, you know, for everyone else.

Oh of course. ;) Thanks. Been grooving on that tune a lot lately. Saw The English Beat last night. It was great. In between songs the bassist started playing (White Man) but alas the moved on to other things. And I think Wakeling's teardrop guitar is the same one from back in the day. He switched up a few. So this is what I'm listening to because I understand the world REALLY needs to know.

hands off.jpg

This is my favorite guitar player. I still play a lot of his songs on my guitar. His songs are great to play. The great John Fahey!

These days I mostly listen to classical music on the radio. Non-classical music I still listen to from time to time is usually John Fahey, Buddy Rich, The Band, or Rush.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Band had three of the greatest rock vocalists of all time: Levon Helm, Rick Danko, and the legendary Richard Manuel! What an amazing group they were!

That gives me a great idea, check it out: Tymon Dogg and Geddy Lee should start a band! I don't think either one of them is terribly busy at the moment.

They could call it "The Two Tenors" or something. Play at all the big festivals, so people get the opportunity to appreciate the uniquely dissonant musicality of their wonderfully inspiring voices.

Or if the Dogg/Lee lineup is too lopsided, too much sweet, screechy vibrato, they can bring in one of those death metal guys who growls like a monster. For balance. Imagine the three part harmonies! I'm getting chills.

They can call their albums Dogg Whistles I, Dogg Whistles II, etc., since no humans will ever hear them.

I have a lot more ideas, but they'll have to pay for the rest of them. Tell Geddy to call me. He has the number.

You are the idea man. Ha!

mjp. Can I make it up to you with this nugget from 1967?

and this

Reactions: mjp
Did I let the Dogg out? On this forum that would be me but uh really it's Joe Strummer's fault, encouraging that behavior & all. He's his buddy from the busking days in the early/mid 70's when they were hippies & Joe was impersonating Woody Guthrie. But I'm sure you already know that. :cool:

can we please have no R**H references? it's been so nice in here lately and we don't want to wake the sleeping swan...

They say no one person can do it all
But you want to in your head
But you can't be Shakespeare and you can't be Joyce
So what is left instead
You're stuck with yourself and a rage that can hurt you
You have to start at the beginning again
And just this moment this wonderful fire
Started up again
When you pass through humble, when you pass through sickly
When you pass through "I'm better than you all"
When you pass through anger and self deprecation
And have the strength to acknowledge it all
When the past makes you laugh and you can savor the magic
That let you survive your own war
You find that that fire is passion
And there's a door up ahead not a wall

these guys claim to not be influenced by a certain band...

I was listening to Greta Van Fleet today at work. A young co-worker likes them. They sound exactly like Led Zeppelin. I can't listen to it, every second I hear Zeppelin riffs, lyrics, sounds... They're basically a cover band with their own songs...

No, because I'm not.

I wasn't even alive in the 70s. And I never listen to Rush records from the 70s either.

Melvin Ragin, a.k.a. "Wah Wah Watson" died last week. As an aficionado of the form, I mourn his passing. Great rhythm guitar players make what they do sound easy, but it ain't.

You've likely heard many of Ragin's master classes on the application of the wah pedal, maybe most memorably on The Temptations Papa Was a Rolling Stone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back