What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. Volume 8 (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And a Roches song that I've probably posted here many times, but one that still, after hearing it 200 or 300 times over 30 or 40 years, makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up at that one certain point where the skies open up and that pure sound flows down and covers everything in its path.
I can only assume that you don't mean when Fripp comes in. :eek:

Starting January 1, I posted a daily song by David Bowie as a countdown to his death on Jan 10 at my fb-profile.

Here's the playlist:
- 9 days left: CHANGES (Live October 1999, France)
- 8 days left: ZIGGY STARDUST (Live 1972)
[in the comments: a link to a spider (from Mars?), that's actually been named after Bowie]
[in a later comment: David Bowie interview about Ziggy]
- 7 days left: CHINA GIRL (Live 2009 at VH1-storytellers with a great intro about his time with Iggy in Berlin) - the link's defunct by now
- 6 days left: LIVE ON MARS (Live - last performance)
- 5 days left: STARMAN (Live 1972)
[in the comments: a link to an asteroid named after Bowie]
- intermission on the countdown: HEROES partly sung in German (from the soundtrack to "Christiane F.")
[in the comments: Tony Visconti's Making-of of the song Heroes]
- 4 days left: SENSE OF DOUBT (Live on German TV 1978)
[in the comments: a link to the part of the movie "Christiane F.", where this song is played]
- 3 days left: WHERE ARE WE NOW?
- 2 days left / his Birthday: AS THE WORLD FALLS DOWN (from the movie "Labyrinth")
- 1 day left: QUICKSAND (Live duet with Robert Smith at his birthday-concert exactly 22 years before that day 1997)
- the day: MY DEATH (Live 1973)
- the day after: LAZARUS (official video)

bought this lp at a thrift store a long time ago and made the rookie move of not checking the vinyl. When I got home I discovered it was a cracked & warped copy of Purple Rain. Finally pulled the trigger & got it on cd. It is a classic. MJP, I know reggae but I don't KNOW reggae. I'm beginning to take a deep dive. Suggestions?

I know that some people find reggae monotonous and it all sounds the same to them (hello Justine and Jordan!), but really, recommending reggae is like recommending rock and roll. Like, what do you want today, some Chuck Berry, Fleetwood Mac, or Metallica?

There are only a couple of reggae songs on that The Harder They Come album. The rest of the songs are ska from the 60s or ballads. In other words, the reggae equivalent of Chuck Berry and Fleetwood Mac.

Having said that, if you want to know when the golden age of reggae was, I'd say the period of 1973 to 1979/80. If you like sounds that are a little more basic or low-fi, you can go back to 1970. But before that you're getting into ska times. And after 1980 or so synthesizers, samplers, and computers came onto the scene, and those electronic rhythms changed reggae into something else completely, and it's been stuck in that dancehall kind of style ever since.

Anyway, it depends on what you like. But anything recorded in Jamaica in that period of the 70s is a good bet to be at least interesting if not inspirational, motivational, and rootical.

Or, you know, you could start with these mainstream selections available on 8-Track at your local minimart:

The Wailers - Catch a Fire (if you can find the deluxe CD that includes the original Jamaican mix, that's the one to get)
The Wailers - Burnin'
Bob Marley and The Wailers - Natty Dread
Bob Marley and The Wailers - Live at The Roxy
Bob Marley and The Wailers - Survival
Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man
Bunny Wailer - Struggle
Peter Tosh - Legalize It
Peter Tosh - Equal Rights
Peter Tosh - Bush Doctor
Toots and The Maytals - Funky Kingston
Judy Mowatt - Black Woman
Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey
Burning Spear - Hail H.I.M.
Ras Michael and The Sons of Negus - Rastafari
Ras Michael and The Sons of Negus - Nyahbinghi
Augustus Pablo - Earth Rightful Ruler
Augustus Pablo - East of the River Nile
Augustus Pablo - King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown
Hugh Mundell - Africa Must Be Free by 1983
Hugh Mundell - Blackman's Foundation
Mutabaruka - Check It!
Prince Far I - Voice of Thunder
Steel Pulse - Tribute to the Martyrs

Yeah, I dig the soulfulness of old ska too. As I was getting into music on my own in the 80's, 80's reggae sounded pretty bad. As to Bob I have Catch a Fire(lp), Exodus(lp), Live 77@ The Rainbow DVD & the Songs of Freedom box. There's some low budget/thrift store early Wailers double lp I dig too. It's pretty much all early ska I guess. Where the hell do I begin with Lee Perry?

Thanks tho. Somewhere to go with all this. That's what I need.

Where the hell do I begin with Lee Perry?
Depends on whether you want songs or dub.

If you want songs he did two great albums with the Wailers, Soul Rebels and Soul Revolution, and the classic albums, Police and Thieves with Junior Murvin, and War Ina Babylon with Max Romeo.

Check out some of the box set anthologies if you want dub (and songs too), like Arkology.

And then there is the single, Judgement in a Babylon, wherein Scratch accuses Island records head Chris Blackwell (and his office staff) of drinking chicken blood and practicing voodoo...

scratch.jpg

I like this one very much. mjp recommended it years ago.

no bad new wavey touches or cheezzzeee snth. Cool. :cool:

Depends on whether you want songs or dub.

If you want songs he did two great albums with the Wailers, Soul Rebels and Soul Revolution, and the classic albums, Police and Thieves with Junior Murvin, and War Ina Babylon with Max Romeo.

Check out some of the box set anthologies if you want dub (and songs too), like Arkology.

And then there is the single, Judgement in a Babylon, wherein Scratch accuses Island records head Chris Blackwell (and his office staff) of drinking chicken blood and practicing voodoo...

View attachment 17723

Ha! That's awesome. & yeah, dub & actual song. thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It's like some of those bands who put out a shit ton of stuff. Where to begin? GBV (Guided By Voices) comes to mind. As to Perry, I'll start where u've suggested. I've heard, in varying degrees, a lot of this stuff but which ones to pick? thanks again.

Bought these off the interwebs at a reasonable price. So fuckin cool. Listening to these loudly! The Clash. Yeah.

Reactions: mjp
They put out a box set of the singles on CD some time ago. It has everything, all the 12" tracks and whatnot.

If you want it I can send you a zip here's a zip. I'll leave it there for a couple of days. It's 63 tracks and they're .flac files so it's a big download, a gig and a half.

Last edited:
Thanks. That's really cool but i got the singles box set as a Christmas gift one year. The 7"s? I know i don't need them. I splurged. Marie Kondo would have a shit fit. Oh right. Home taping is killing music. I wouldn't dare download or upload or whatever it is u crazy kids do with your load.

Yeah, I rarely played anything out of the singles box because they put each single on its own disc, which is cute and all, but playing singles hasn't been any fun since - ever - so I didn't understand that.

But I suppose I get how having those in your hand is a good thing.

the battle
is getting harder
in this iration
it's armagideon

Well if you had one of those 5 or 8 cd changers from the mid-late 90's you'd be rockin'. Put that jawn on shuffle & you're good to go. The above original is great too. How do you feel abt Mikey Dread? I like what I've heard so far.

if you had one of those 5 or 8 cd changers from the mid-late 90's...
Oh man. I had a 100 CD changer. It wasn't exactly gentle with the discs, and I had to keep a piece of paper nearby that listed what was in there because you chose the disc by number. There's a Nakamichi 7 disc changer on top of a bookcase behind me collecting dust. And a single disc TEAC in the closet that hasn't been hooked up in a year. In this post- HAP era I can't deal with them.

I hope they keep making CDs forever, because they're great, but I'm told the kids are going back to cassettes now. First it was vinyl LPs, now cassettes, so I guess in 15 or 20 years they'll embrace CDs again, because CDs will be old enough to be retro.

Then I'll sell my CDs to them at grossly inflated collector's prices and retire to a Walmart parking lot somewhere.

I never really picked up on Mikey Dread for whatever reason.

I'm including a Mix Tape on cassette with the special edition of my book (limited to lettered copies), and I'm still on the fence about whether or not I should show the songs on a Jcard, or let it be a surprise. There's about 10 songs a side (or so).

Any thoughts?

You guys are right, plus I have enough to do. Ha!

I'll just write "Carol's Mix 1970s" on one side of the tape, and Carol's Mix 1980s" on the other.

Mjp has been dubbing them for me and I think he is going a bit out of his mind hearing the first song over and over. It's silly, I admit, but I was super young and it was my favorite. Sorry sweetie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back