David Barker's "Charles Bukowski Spit in My Face" (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, LickThe Star. I am tempted to destroy about half of them due to vague and nagging disatisfaction, but I'm so slow at painting, and so busy with other stuff, that I'd never get the edition out if I acted on that urge. I aim for "acceptable and kind of looks like him." A few of them are that and better, many are barely that.

By the way, there are two remaining "out-of-series" regular edition copies left.

Great scan! I think this is one of the best paintings by David, so far. The likeness is very good!
Thanks, Roni...

Yeah, I was very happy with that one.

Two more deluxe copies with art go out Friday, to lubricious and hank solo. I'll try to post scans of those soon.

Only two copies of the "out-of-series" regular edition remain.

Those are excellent, especially when compared to some of the celebrity painting I've seen lately. Good likenesses and colors.

Agreed. And I'm psyched to receive my deluxe copy, as it not only comes with an original piece of art, but original writing too "” the likes of which most people can only dream about doing...

Thanks in advance, David.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. Finished my taxes yesterday but didn't get to paint. I'll get back to the grindstone on the art this week.

David. Received my copy. I read it straight through and really enjoyed it. I say "straight through" but I kept stopping to peruse the watercolour. I didn't want to rush the experience. It is a real bonus to have this third edition with its preface and that of the second. And thank you for the added broadsides.

Thanks, theonlygoodpoetisa. I always wondered if I crammed too much spare junk into the third edition. It's good to hear that the new preface along with the old one isn't too much -- and that the watercolor adds something.

I'm working on two new paintings tonight, in a couple of minutes. Those will likely go out next Monday if they turn out okay.

I always wondered if I crammed too much spare junk into the third edition. It's good to hear that the new preface along with the old one isn't too much --

On the contrary, their inclusion - in my humble opinion - makes for a modern classic.

It always seemed to me that the prefaces were where I get to piss and moan for the abuse I've suffered for having written the memoir, so adding new prefaces was just a way to get to piss and moan some more. The memoir itself is relatively free of self-justification, I feel. Anyway, it's nice of you to suggest the whole package has some value. I always feared it was just too many odd parts dumped into one box.

Last night's watercolor turned out pretty decent. Slowly but surely, I'm getting these paintings done. Thanks for your patience, everyone.

They're worth the wait, David...All the pics you've posted are fantastic. Really looking forward to mine!

Thanks, Hosh.

Black Swan: you said to hold off on yours, no hurry, so I've been bumping you back on the last couple shipments, but I can send yours out in the next batch if that works. Is your mail safe while you're gone? Or should I hold off till May?

That's a very nice Buk painting. Great likeness and great colors...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Bukfan. The last one I did (not yet posted) came out pretty decent, too. It was a challenging one with some very vague areas in the photo I modeled it on, and I handled those okay, I thought. I'll post it soon.

A deluxe copy of this with the art, for me please.. I can't use the private message system yet, so if there's another way to communicate, that'd be wonderful. This is very interesting, I'm glad I found this forum.

Hi Vagabond. Thanks for the order. I'll get back to you once I figure out the best way to do that.

Meanwhile, here's a scan of the latest painting:

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h185/barkerbooks/BukReadingBottleMikeCropped.jpg

This one is going to Chronic. The toughest part of this one was his hand. In the photo I based it on, I couldn't tell exactly how the fingers were positioned, and the cigarette was a total mystery. And at first, the microphone looked like the head of a ... well, it looked anatomical. But I was able to rework it into cold steel.

Very cool indeed! A typical Buk reading motif. I love the colors, but I keep saying that...

You could make a postcard-set of a dozen motifs from these paintings. Would make a nice set. I'd buy some for the bukowski-shop.

Reminds me of another thread...

Have you scanned all the paintings so far in this series David? And if so do you have bigger copies than you posted on photobucket.com? Sure we could make this work, if you're happy to come along.

somehow, yes.

in fact, since BlackSwan has other postcards going by now, I was thinking of a set from her for the bukowski-shop too.
Time has come to offer fan-stuff there, that amazon doesn't have.

i got mine yesterday but opened it today and WOW your a very good artist as well. thank you

very nice indeed. keep it up. and i dont need to tell you how talented you are...

Here's an updated list:

Deluxe Copy, #'ed & signed with Original Art:
1 strangegirl
2 mjp
3 hoochmonkey9
4 hank solo
5 purple stickpin
6 chronic
7 bukfan
8 marina del rey
9 willrogers
10 magick stallion
11 james
12 jordan
13 homeless mind
14 hosh
15 black swan
16 tinux
17 crbsmile
18 roni
19 pbbuk
20 r
21 ian
22 lubricious
23 theonlygoodpoetisa
24 jerry
25 [I haven't yet identified the user name on this one]
26 nervas
27 vagabond

Regular "out of series" (unnumbered) copy:
1 gerard k h love
2 david
3 thru 7 went to a Pasadena bookstore
[there are two additional regular copies left]

I'm shipping copies in the order of payment received. Thanks to all of you for your support and patience.

Reminds me of another thread...

Have you scanned all the paintings so far in this series David? And if so do you have bigger copies than you posted on photobucket.com? Sure we could make this work, if you're happy to come along.

Yes, I have large, high resolution scans of all the paintings done for members of the Forum, and for some of the earlier paintings in the series. Some of the older ones are low resolution images. Back then, I had a cheap shit digital camera called an E-Smile that was unimaginably bad. The lens was the size of a fly's eye, without the clarity. But counting those, I have images of almost all the painting in the series.

So are you offering to publish a set of cards from the better images? I'd be very interested in doing that. Or is it more like, "somebody should do that"...?

Rekrab said:
[...] So are you offering to publish a set of cards from the better images? I'd be very interested in doing that. Or is it more like, "somebody should do that"...?

... if nobody jumps in - I will !

I was going like All-or-nothing at my bank last year and took a Big long-time-credit devoted to make bukowski-shop a bigger thing than just selling the same books that amazon has: a REAL Fan-Shop. (of course, first we had to get some standards, which ate 2 third of the money, but there's still some left.)

since Bill seems interested too, maybe we could co-operate? Wouldbe great!

on the other hand: I'd like to make this set affordable even for non-collectors / non-high-class-letterpress-fans - in other words: simple regular students, who just like Bukowski. (I could ask Maro for an offer for offset-prints.)
Any ideas? Bill? David?

Well, if someone wants to publish the set, and Roni wants to sell it, I'm all for that. I suppose I could publish it myself, but then it would have to wait until I can afford it, which could be three weeks from never. But, you're on, Roni -- if it's published, you can sell copies in your shop. I'm easy.

Thanks, Bill. I'll look into what it might cost for a set of cards (in my spare time, which is non-existent, but you know; I'll fit it in somehow.)

Not offering to publish them no, but wondering if the community here would like to fund the printing of some cards - we seemed to be quite successful with Black Swan's earlier card.

I'm sure one or two other member's have a better idea of where some good printing deals can be had...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back