What are you listening to now? (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my favorite songs ever.
I'll second that. when it comes to Elliott Smith Angeles would have to be my second favorite. there's also a great recording of miss misery solo acoustic on the piano which i think is a lot better than the original. I'm pretty sure It's up on you tube.

mozart.jpg

You can't listen to too much Mozart, can you?
Piano sonatas for hours. House cleaning, dog washing music for the soul.

...You can't listen too much Mozart, can you? ...

The Overture to his opera 'Figaro' is a BLAST!

of course, it only works, if you're in a good mood.

[ Disclaimer/Warning: ]

if you never liked Lou Reed's album BERLIN, because it's dull, slow, dark, depressing, disappointing and sounding like a valium-hangover - don't listen to this coeval live-version of the song 'The Bed' from that album!
(besides, the picture-quality is close to numb & the sound is typical 'bootleg')

but, anyway! what i am listening to Now is 'The Bed' live:

[This video is unavailable.]

(p.s.:
there would not be anybody here, having one of the original 'Berlin'-concerts from that time? in okay-quality that is?)

Interesting, since I've been on a Mozart Symphony #25 in G-minor, K. 183 kick--they used the first movement in the film "Amadeus." It just knocks my socks off, that repeating motive compulsively hammering away "dadada da da da; dada da da da" in minor and then the switch to major and the octave leap and then again "dadada da da da..." etc. To think that Wolfgang wrote it at age 17...:)

The Wailers live at Leeds, November 23, 1973

if you are bullbucka, let me tell you this
I'm a duppy conqueror!

WailersBurnin.jpg

it's fair. mono recordings, not from the soundboard. Quine just sat in the audience with a tape recorder. but the music/performance is fantastic. 3 discs, each well over 70 minutes.
I think they're great, but if you're an audiophile, quality of recordings may put you off.

it's fair [...] but if you're an audiophile, quality of recordings may put you off.

sounds okay. have some boots myself. don't need the Perfect sound - fair is alright for that matter.
so: where do i get these?

what i am listening to now:
sorry kids, it's a U2-song.
but i love that song and the video.

the video's been done by Wim Wenders and refers to his movie 'The sky over Berlin'.
if you haven't seen this movie (or at least the Hollywood-version with Nicolas Cage and Meg Ryan named 'City of Angels'), you won't really get the vid, i guess.
but maybe you could still enjoy the music.
and/or lyrics.

[This video is unavailable.]

the video's been done by Wim Wenders and refers to his movie 'The sky over Berlin'.
if you haven't seen this movie (or at least the Hollywood-version with Nicolas Cage and Meg Ryan named 'City of Angels'), you won't really get the vid, i guess.

In the US it was released as Wings of Desire, and yes, it was an excellent film.

I have no idea why Hollywood feels the need to remake really good foreign films into second-rate american versions. It's really kind of annoying.

sounds okay. have some boots myself. don't need the Perfect sound - fair is alright for that matter.
so: where do i get these?

it's an "official" bootleg put out by Polydor (Universal). I think it's still in print. I got mine on ebay. where else. heh.

DJ Yoda and Dan Greenpeace: Unthugged 2

Next, DJ Yoda and Dan Greenpeace: Unthugged: Essential Mix

51431.carriedtodust.jpg

excellent. perhaps their best album. at least their best in a while.

alt country mariachi at its best. because that's a category...

full cd streaming here if interested.

I'm listening to a guy reading the Danish translation of "Pulp" on CD. It's four CD's and they're 5 hours altogether. I got them on sale. It's the only Buk book made into CD's here. The translation however, is not as good as the original text (no big surprise).

I wonder if there's any Buk books made into CD in English?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea why Hollywood feels the need to remake really good foreign films into second-rate american versions. It's really kind of annoying.

well, you sure aren't surprised when i admit, that i like the Hollywood-version. i know, i'm a goddam mainstream-sucker. sorry.

hooch: thanks for the info.

Because there is not an ounce of imagination or talent in "Hollywood."

I agree with you, but a friend of mine made a point a while back -- she was talking about the TV show The Office, and when it was pointed out that the original UK version was first and funnier and the US version was just a pale imitation, she said, "Well, maybe you're right, but that doesn't mean it isn't funny."

Which is true, even if it is a pie in the face of people like me who are all hung up on originality. Most people don't give a shit about originality, and I'm not sure they aren't better off.

Tom Waits, always Tom Waits. Just caught his shows in Alabama and Atlanta. What an incredible talent.

I picked up a couple of Calexico's disks down at Grimey's, the greatest record store in the world, and found them to be brilliant at times but then they tended to stray into boring derivitaves that just kind of meandered. I'm not sure of the albums titles, I only know that one of the disks had the song "Stray" on it. That song is a masterpiece.

I like the way they incorporate the David Lynch guitar into a warped mariachi sound. You have to hand it to them, they are original.

plasteredpoet said:
I picked up a couple of Calexico's disks down at Grimey's, the greatest record store in the world, and found them to be brilliant at times but then they tended to stray into boring derivitaves that just kind of meandered. I'm not sure of the albums titles, I only know that one of the disks had the song "Stray" on it. That song is a masterpiece.

I like the way they incorporate the David Lynch guitar into a warped mariachi sound. You have to hand it to them, they are original.

Stray is on Black Light, which I think was their 2nd (?) release.

and I'd agree it's easy to teeter on the fine cliche line when you are dealing with mariachi horns.

but their new one hasn't left my cd player yet.

I have the window open and I'm listening to crickets. Buddy Holly had nothing to do with it. it's nice to live in the city and still hear crickets in late summer. maybe because it's a small city? sure.

but earlier I was listening to:

210493279_5343ca3e26.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back