What are you listening to now? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this link will work for you all, but I hope so. CRB:)

Another very funny thing about The Big Lebowski is the fact that song was done by Kenny Rogers. Like when I opened that link and saw the name Kenny Rogers I have to admit, I thought "CRBSMILE is just nuts". Then I saw the sunglasses and it all made sense. She is crazy and nuts.;)

Good old song and that link hooks up to the whole Big Lebowski soundtrack.

I think it all comes down to me needing to bowl and drink mixtures that contain heavy half&half. The DUDE fucking Rocks. I almost shit 10 years ago when I found out Kenny Rodgers did that song.

I've been listening to a lot of David Bowie recently... Life on Mars, Space Oddity, Cracked Actor. Can't figure out why I didn't like him when I was younger...

great song! why have i never heard that one before?

Well, I don't know. It was on Yellow Submarine, which came out in early '69, but had only four "new" Beatle compositions:

Hey Bulldog (recorded early '68 along with Lady Madonna - pre-White Album sessions)
It's All Too Much (recorded just after the Pepper sessions)
Only a Northern Song (originally from the Pepper sessions)
All Together Now (recorded just after the Pepper sessions)

So, Yellow Submarine is a bit of a throwaway (because of so much recycled material and the George Martin orchestrations which, while nice, ain't the Beatles), even though these four tunes are great.

I go through odd intervals that last for weeks and months sometimes when music just does not affect me in any way whatsoever, simply not in the mood to hear music; often when I'm in those moods putting a jazz CD on in the background while I'm working can pull me out. I've been in one of those "no music" moods for several weeks now. Anyone else have that problem?

never.
I'm being serious here. I know it's hard to tell with me sometimes.

but occasionally I stand in front of my cds (I own a couple thousand [not counting another couple thousand lps and tapes], not bragging, just letting you in on how I waste my $), and think what the fuck do I want to listen to? and I look at some and and say no, not that. if it takes too long I just randomly grab 5 without looking. one of those 5 will work.

I couldn't imagine going weeks with no music. a couple hours makes me jittery. but, you know, I'm a little strange. it's been diagnosed.

I go through odd intervals that last for weeks and months sometimes when music just does not affect me in any way whatsoever, simply not in the mood to hear music; often when I'm in those moods putting a jazz CD on in the background while I'm working can pull me out. I've been in one of those "no music" moods for several weeks now. Anyone else have that problem?

Yes indeedy. I have a pretty strict ideal that I won't listen to music (of my own choosing) unless I can give it my full attention. I don't just listen to music for the simple pleasure of it; rather, I obtain a significant portion of my pleasure by dissecting the chord structures, melodies and groove from a music theory perspective (oh that and killer bass). Given the dearth of talented musicians these days, I certainly have my work cut out for me, and thank Dog that good music has been digitized, since my turntable hasn't worked for some 7 years.

But I do grapple with either a total lack of interest in music for weeks on end, and then the resultant (re)obsession with Dylan, Beatles, Crimson, Mingus, Monk, Coltrane, Bartok, Haydn, Schoenberg, Berg, Webern...where I can only listen to a certain genre or even a certain group/artist. For example, I haven't intentionally listened to anything but Beatles for the past 5 weeks or so (except for the rough mixes of our band's second CD).

But I do grapple with either a total lack of interest in music for weeks on end, and then the resultant (re)obsession with Dylan, Beatles, Crimson, Mingus, Monk, Coltrane, Bartok, Haydn, Schoenberg, Berg, Webern...where I can only listen to a certain genre or even a certain group/artist.

Oh my God. We're afflicted with the same mental tic which, incidentally, sounds awfully fucking bi-polar to me (well, I was diagnosed years ago and did the whole medications route for awhile but that's another story ... I'm sure this place is riddled with people with BPD)

We're afflicted with the same mental tic which, incidentally, sounds awfully fucking bi-polar to me

I consider it a blessing...wait, did you say something? :D

Incidentally, Bipolar is a song on my band's first CD. But I'm pretty sure that's not it for me. I'm more of a "if you can't wow me, then I have no interest."

Well, maybe it is, but I'm cool with it.

I don't think it's a problem I think it's a symptom or a phase of something. Sometimes you need a little less music.
I always want to listen to music and sometimes (rarely) nothing fits. Or I am so out of sync that nothing sounds right.

Seriously have you ever enjoyed Polka. Now that is a strange state of mind which may have been brought on by German and Dutch ancestry. Mexican music even has polka undertones flowing in it. There were Germans everywhere.

I wonder, are you a muscian? I go through this same thing with literature. I'll go through phases of just not being able to/wanting to read. Now I do write, but more so, I work in a book store and thus, I am surrounded my so much written crap that I often feel, at the end of the day, that I would rather SPIT than look at anyone else's words,(ie-OPRAH PICKS).
Other times, I get so involved with reading that I neglect my own writing. There has never been a 'happy medium' for me in this regard. I try to go with it as much as I can but, I find in these times that music distracts me overall, but in a way that I desperatly NEED and WANT. CRB:)

3030600701_09102a52fb_o.jpg
3030600649_0be6bcc369_o.jpg

Ah! the wonderful Elvis Costello!
Ah! the wonderful 'Watching the detectives!'

Next would be 'Accidents will happen', 'Allyson' and 'My funny Valentine'.

The Complete Bob Marley & The Wailers 1967 - 1972. 8 discs, 156 tracks of classic rock steady hits. These are post-Ska, pre-Island recordings. Amazing to hear how productive they were in those years, how much they accomplished with no money, no international support. Mind boggling confidence and perseverance. Just like a certain poet I know...

Bill Withers - Use me

Hey Father Luke, i watched a dire straits concert yesterday. Rockpalast 1979.
Great music indeed.

Chet was just amazing. Most people who know music know the name, but don't really think of him as the phenomenal performer and innovator that he was. He was very low-key, but he could do stuff on guitar that is really something special.

My Father-in-Law met him several times at the Chet Atkins festival in Nashville, and even had the opportunity to play a song with him. Chet may be gone, but every August, the Chet festival continues.

Oh, and Knopfler. Yeah, he's not too bad. I saw him play rhythm guitar for Clapton back in the late 1980s. Knopfler should have been playing lead and Clapton rhythm.

I wonder, are you a muscian? I go through this same thing with literature. I'll go through phases of just not being able to/wanting to read. Now I do write, but more so, I work in a book store and thus, I am surrounded my so much written crap that I often feel, at the end of the day, that I would rather SPIT than look at anyone else's words,(ie-OPRAH PICKS).
Other times, I get so involved with reading that I neglect my own writing. There has never been a 'happy medium' for me in this regard. I try to go with it as much as I can but, I find in these times that music distracts me overall, but in a way that I desperatly NEED and WANT. CRB:)

Occasionally, Oprah picks a good one.

I'm an allegator.
I'm a mama, papa comin' for you.
I'm a space invader.
I'll be a rockin' rollin' bitch for you.

Great song, mate.

:cool:

the line 'i'll be a rockin' rollin' bitch for you' is enough that no one should have to write a song after that.

laughing.

or wait. god. i was just thinking about this song.

they lyrics. i love them.

[This video is unavailable.]

'listen to the girl as she takes on half the world.'

i was just thinking about this song.

Nice song. It's in Lost in Translation which my daughter plays all the time. Now hearing that song makes me miss my daughter. Portland is lucky.

I like

which is in The Life Aquatic another Bill Murray movie. That says something about my daughter. Portland is very lucky.

-the smiths
'handsome devil'

'a boy in the bush is worth two in the hand i think i can help you get through your exams'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back