What are you listening to now? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I'm the only one who listened to G Y B E Some of their 10 minutes:) songs a few years ago...

I too raise my skinny fists!

The last and final Arab Strap album is really good too. I suppose Aidans lyrics could even be seen to have a passing resemblance to Buks writing, 'the night before the funeral' isn't on the album I just mentioned, I just think they fit with my last comment :confused:

the night before the funeral, I got some - I sneaked a young girl up the stairs and past my mum.
I took off her clothes and I played with her bits and she did the same but it took ages for me to come.
Too drunk and getting old...

It was a lovely show for a God I dont believe in.
I couldnt sing a single note at the service.
When they did how great thou art all I could think of was my old l.p. of hymns by elvis.
Theres no such thing as sin...

I said to laura, I hope I know you forever and when Im going, Im going the viking way. lay me in a boat with my favourite things and set me on fire and send me on my way. kick me out

I think you're person #2 that I've met since SA came out that likes it.

EDIT: I suppose I've not really met you, but at least you're the second I've heard of.

Really?? i think it's great! very very catchy songs, good for singing along to in the shower...
not many people i know like RHCP at all, probably because a lot of people i know are music snobs...
i'm going to see my flatmate's band play tonight, they're called "The Puppeteers of Hatred"... i think it's supposed to be "ironic"(?) metal(?) :rolleyes:

well, i think most people are tired of pop ballads about california... I really liked Jupiter (only played Mars through a couple times), but I think (and have for years) that most of their songs are nonsensical.

well, i think most people are tired of pop ballads about california... I really liked Jupiter (only played Mars through a couple times), but I think (and have for years) that most of their songs are nonsensical.

yeah, most of their lyrics are nonsensical but i think they still manage to be pretty evocative of particular kinds of feelings or moods. and i also think they have the most catchy choruses (musically). and anthony kiedis is an amazingly powerful singer when you hear him live, i went to their last concert here in NZ with my *dad* and thought it was awesome.

ok, you read me like a book... i DO think he's quite sexy... but i also think Billy Corgan is sexy (until he became a corny, cliche-ridden, guru-worshipping hippie) :o

me and my flatmates are looking for a new person to move in with us - it's been *interesting*.. lots of freaks... this guy turned up last nite, i knew he was gonna be an asshole just by the way he spoke to me on the phone. anyway, he turns up with his friend as a security blanket, starts acting like an arrogant, anarchy-loving, *alternative*, industrial punk. he's rolling his eyes and making weird faces, then when my flatmate tells him that he's studying law, this guy's reaction is total patronising disdain. the thing is, my flatmate is not the evil menace that most people (here in NZ, anyway) seem to figure law students are. he's a very zen, gentle, compassionate, thoughtful and creative person (and a Buk fan), and you can pretty much tell all that about him straight away - but this guy made a total character judgment based on ONE paper my flatmate is taking as a first-year course!

ANYWAY (sorry i'm not good at shortening stories)
this guy hears some cool guitar riffs playing out of my bedroom and asks me who it is, and i tell him it's RHCP... Mr "I'm too hip and rebellious and anti-The Man and blah blah" likes RHCP!

i just find it funny when people try to make a big point of how "non-mainstream" they are, how too-cool-for-skool they are - then they go and completely blow their cover by accidentally admitting they like "mainstream" music... :rolleyes:

i have a friend who's like that (to a point) about rhcp specifically, he won't listen to them unless it's their old old old shit (before californication at least, though i don't know much at all about them before that album). personally, i hate to admit liking fall out boy and panic! at the disco, but whatever, when i'm in my room listening to it next to kanye west, nas, flogging molly, and john legend it really doesn't matter to me

don't ya know it's, like, totally hip to be square??? :) :)

there's no shame in liking anything, as long as you like it for the enjoyment it brings and not the kudos.

i don't know about the rest of the world, but country music (esp. the really hill-billy stuff) is TOTALLY uber-cool in my home town at the moment. everyone who is anyone, knows someone who plays in a *hip* country band.

i have to admit that i never really got into country before, but now that there's so much exposure to it, i've actually discovered that there is country that i really like.

i'm always abit suspicious of people whose book and cd collections are at the perfect high-cool level... everyone should have a Dan Brown novel or a Dance Hits of the 80s cd lurking round... :p

My Dan Brown is actually Charles Barkley. In any case, I'm not very fond of any of the country that has come out in the last 8 or 9 years (Toby Keith is alright). If country is hip (assuming country means American country music) you might as well get everything Garth Brooks ever did (except his Chris Gaines shit), and look into rockabilly and some southern rock (skynyrd, allman brothers, etc.).

In any case, I'm not very fond of any of the country that has come out in the last 8 or 9 years (Toby Keith is alright). If country is hip (assuming country means American country music) you might as well get everything Garth Brooks ever did (except his Chris Gaines shit), and look into rockabilly and some southern rock (skynyrd, allman brothers, etc.).

That ain't country... that's pop music with a twang. If you want to hear some real country music track down something by The Carter Family or Buell Kazee or, more recently, early Johnny Cash, Emmylou Harris or John Prine. Very different from most of the stuff that's sold as country on the radio.

When Hank Williams injected the Blues into hillbilly music he more or less created what people think of as "country" music. If you start with Hank, most of the rest (especially the contemporary types) will pale in comparison.

there's some good new country music still being made. Willie Nelson's last cd was excellent. Ryan Adams and the Cardinals are great.
chronic mentioned Emmylou Harris and John Prine, still making good stuff, especially when Emmylou hooks up with the likes of Daniel Lanois.
Loretta Lynn's last cd was amazing.
Hank III (Hank Williams' grandson) is vicious.
I can't think of anymore at this moment.

That's your loss then. There's something good to be found in pretty much every genre of music (except rap). If you close yourself off from it you'll never know what you might have missed.

John Prine is Excellent!

Maybe the SECOND most literate postman America has ever had.

Fish and whistle
Whistle and fish
Eat everything they put on your dish...

I listen to that freaking song everytime before I grab my fly rod and hit the river

Lipstick Lies and Gasoline, Fred Eaglesmith. Country but he ain't country, if you know what I mean. "I got seven shells for my six gun."

(Watched the last installment of a four-parter on Canadian song writers and narrator Bob Segarini -- remember The Wackers? -- called it 'country and eastern' rather than 'western' because Wilf Carter (Montana Slim), Hank Snow, Bob Nolan (Sons of the Pioneers), Stompin' Tom, all came from the Maritimes originally.)

When Hank Williams injected the Blues into hillbilly music he more or less created what people think of as "country" music. If you start with Hank, most of the rest (especially the contemporary types) will pale in comparison.

i always thought that "country" meant Garth Brooks etc. and that "country and western" meant the hillbilly stuff. then a friend of mine explained that the pop stuff is actually "c & w".

i've being hearing a bit of Uncle Tupelo, Lucinda Wiliams, Loretta Lynn, Johnny Cash, Ryan Adams and the Bruce Springsteen album that sounds really country.

just saw cursive the other night... good band...
LOVE Cursive! Especially The Ugly Organ.
At this moment, I'm listening to New Order's Power, Corruption, and Lies. Earlier I was listening to Veronique Sanson's Le Maudit, The Clash's Combat Rock, and Pulp's Different Class and This is Hardcore albums...

Heh.

Whenever someone pulls up next to me in their car with their boom box blasting "gansta rap," I think of Bukowski's "Little Atomic Bomb" and wish I had one.

(Me) and My cat like "Modern Times"

fireplace.jpg

Bob Dylan's latest album. And he LOVES fireplace. Lucky is blind kitty I rescued from the creek where someone dumped him with horrible infected eyes.

Bob Dylan's latest album. And he LOVES fireplace.
I have a Border Collie that is obsessed with the fireplace (when there's fire in it, of course). He will stand with his nose practically against the screen, or lay right next to it and get hot as hell. But he likes it for some reason.

Maybe because he is insane. That could be it.

Maybe because he is insane. That could be it.

maybe he thinks he's a cat.

Whenever someone pulls up next to me in their car with their boom box blasting "gansta rap," I think of Bukowski's "Little Atomic Bomb" and wish I had one.

ah, kindred spirit there!

if there's one genre of music i'm partial to it's the blues. particularly -

sonny boy williamson II.
early howling wolf.
"champion" jack dupree (he boxed)
memphis slim
bessie smith
leadbelly

after hearing Tom Waits mentioned here quite a bit, i decided to give him a try - wasn't really my thing; found his voice a little bit too gravelly. but in saying that, i haven't really sat down and listened with any real focus to it. also, i was told by an obsessive Waits fan last night that "Mule Variations" (the album i have) is the worst possible album to start with if one has never heard Waits before (kinda like reading Pulp first ;) ).

i'm just discovering the joys of borrowing cds from the library and ripping them onto my laptop...

this week i have:
Turin Brakes - Ether Song
Mercury Rev - See you on the other side
Depeche Mode - Ultra; Violator; Exciter
Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker
Sparklehorse - Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot

after hearing Tom Waits mentioned here quite a bit, i decided to give him a try - wasn't really my thing; found his voice a little bit too gravelly. but in saying that, i haven't really sat down and listened with any real focus to it. also, i was told by an obsessive Waits fan last night that "Mule Variations" (the album i have) is the worst possible album to start with if one has never heard Waits before (kinda like reading Pulp first ;) ).

although I love Mule Variations, you probably should start with Rain Dogs.

i think that might be the album my friend recommended. looking through the cds on the "recently returned" shelf at the library was interesting...
heaps of Neil Young, Tom Waits, Sparklehorse, Leonard Cohen, Velvet Underground... and The Beach Boys!

nighthawks at the diner. . .small change. . .heartattack and vine (if you dont like "on the nickel" there is no hope for you). . .

yeah... i didn't get that 'feeling' when i was listening to Waits, i don't think i'll become much of a fan. but too many people who like the same music as me have recommended him for me to dismiss his stuff too hastily, so i will give it a fair trial!

more cds from the library just now:
Turin Brakes - The Optimist Lp
Jeff Buckley - Mystery White Boy; Live at Sin-E
Simple Minds - The Best of Simple Minds
Spiritualised - Let It Come Down

nighthawks at the diner. . .small change. . .heartattack and vine (if you dont like "on the nickel" there is no hope for you). . .

Funny that you mention those albums. They are a part of a Waits compillation I just bought called "Used Songs - 1973-1980" from the Asylum years. I haven't heard it yet though. It's my first Waits album...:o

Btw, which of his newer albums would be a good place to start for the newbie?

Last edited by a moderator:
bukfan ,

honestly, i'd say just start at the beginning. the first to the last. you'll see how his voice and writing changes. that's the best way. i learned about waits around the time i learned about bukowski - so they both have a real good spot in my heart. the compilation is not the best way to go about voyaging into waits. just one record at a time.

enjoy -

Ok. Thanks, Paul! - One record at a time. I'm thinking about buying - was it Black Rider? - well, the one with the Burroughs lyrics.
I only bought the compilation because it was cheap. If it's a good introduction to Waits, then it has served it's purpose...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mention of Burroughs reminded me of John Giorno and the lps he put out years ago. Seems like a lot of that is on the web:
http://www.ubu.com/sound/giorno.html
And that ubuweb site looks interesting as well.
"I don't need it, I don't want it and you cheated me out of it" mp3 echoing through the headphones right now.

To tie some of this together. That giorno/ubuweb site has Zappa reading Burroughs' The Talking Asshole. At least I think it's Bill Burroughs' story. Also some Buk on one of the lps. Look around in there. The world is almost making sense at this particular moment. And that's always a bad sign for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back