What are you listening to now? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to a bunch of old Peter Hammill stuff tonight. Just finished "The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage." "Over" is up now and either "A Black Box" or "The Future Now" after that. '70s progressive rock (especially Hammill/Van der Graaf) has always been a bit of a guilty pleasure for me and I'm giving myself a full dose of it tonight.

Currently spinning 'the tennesse fire' by my morning jacket.Is this the best band in America today?
BTW Henrychinaski you need to revisit Led Zep1 to recall what all the fuss was about.

pink-floyd-animals.jpg

At work tonight : Jill Sobule, His Name Is Alive, Martin Newell - a trio of artists that our management team discovered.
Excellent synergy.

Can't stop playing Funreal by Arcade Fire.Saw them live a couple of weeks ago and this album sounds even greater.........'wake up' is fuckin' top drawer.

Mojo Stooges Jukebox. "Looking At You" by the MC5 distorting all over the place. Must've been the best available copy. Iggy picked 43 songs, the mag collected 15. The Trashmen, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Link Wray, The Mothers of Invention (Help I'm a rock!) quickly cutting to The Last Poets' "Run Nigga" ('I understand that time is running out!'). Iggy has some pretty basic tastes that I'm with all the way.

hey, ROC, you listened to some Nick Cave by now?
Need some advice, where to start?
Where should I start with Morton Feldmans? (name 3-4 songs maybe?)

A little bit of Papa John Creach andDavid Bromberg tends to pick up my day at times and put me in a better mood,as far as zep goes my jaw still hurts from were it hit the floor when I first heard them when they came out.

I just recieved and am listening to "hot walker" by tom russell, very interesting, I think that I like it,I'll give it another listen tonight when I can have a couple of glass's of vino, and a little herbal medicine, but ya I think that I like this........

Where should I start with Morton Feldmans? (name 3-4 songs maybe?)

there are some samples at www.ubu.com. just type in Feldman's name in the search box (no shit, right?) a great site, if somewhat avant garde. if you lean that way. I do, but I'm a bit of a PoMo MoFo. others may hate it. that's copacetic also.

Hi roni
I have not got around to listening to Mr Cave yet.
Tell me... which of his symphonies should I start with?
String quartets? Concertoes?

:cool:

I would suggest you get your hands on 'For Bunita Marcus', a solo piano work by Feldman. Turn down the lights and sit silently with whatever poison you prefer to indulge in.
It's something akin to meditation. After 70-80 minutes of this piece you will know more about yourself than you previously did.
Good or bad.

Dory Previn, Candye Kane. I think Buk would appreciate their work in different ways, maybe some of you all, too, like that Nina Simone fan, maybe.

Hi ROC, thanks for the hint on 'For Bunita Marcus'. Will go for it!
Hi roni
I have not got around to listening to Mr Cave yet.
Tell me... which of his symphonies should I start with?
String quartets? Concertoes?

Maybe you should start with 'chamber music'. Like 'The boatmans call'.
If you like it darker, go for his heroin-years in the 80s: 'Your Funeral My Trial' and 'Tender Prey'.

@ROC:
Have the Feldman-piece now. Just had a quick listen for about 10 minutes to get a glimpse. Will REALLY listen to it, the way you suggested (shades down, sitting silently etc) as soon as poss.
First thought is: you may also like John Cage and some early Brian Eno, right?
Will tell you about my 'judgement' after I had it the 'right' way!
Love, roni

hey, cool, Dinosaur Jr. rock the house....listening to
"Cake" atm, - I bombed Korea.

Cake

I bombed Korea every night
like i did Dresden
every other,
we didnt know if we were
wrong or right,
I bombed Korea every night.

Red flowers bursting down below us,
those people didnt even know us.
Mother,
these people didnt even
know us,
red flowers bursting down
below us.
I bomb Korea every night.

..well, maybe i changed the words a little bit.

Cold Cold Ground by Tom Waits

Followed by a chaser of both discs of Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk by Jeff Buckley.

Oh man, it's been a lot of Blind Lemon Jefferson, Sippie Wallace and Mississippi Fred Mcdowell, but lately I can't get some of those Amy Winehouse tunes out of my head....

@ROC:
went through the whole piece now. Twice. Must admit: just listening like recommended (shades/lights down, sitting quiet, fav poison) didn't give me too much - BUT: it's a Very Fine thing while watching traffic-jam from a 3-storey-window! really!
Now it's your turn to go on a little Nick Cave (hehe)!

@RUBY + chronic:
Yeah, 'Surfer Rosa's great. (esp. for 'Where is my mind' sure.) But - what REALLY ROCKS according to the Pixies is 'DOOLITTLE', don't you think so? (nearly EVERY song a KILLER!)

@hobart:
sure, THIS is one of the Waits-songs, one can have repeated and repeated over and over again for 2 hours without wanting to change. Miraculous, eh?

roni- yes. the live version from Big Time is especially soulful. You can hear new emotions being created in that one.
i am one who can handle almost all waits. i dig them all man but i do have to admit, as i have heard from others, sometimes sounds like a cat being squeezed into a play-do spaghetti maker. doesn't stop me though.
his new three disc "rareties" is good all the way through.
his best album in my humble and limited opinion is Closing Time.

On to Buckley- too beautiful for words.

have to admit, [...] sometimes sounds like a cat being squeezed into a play-do spaghetti maker. doesn't stop me though.
his new three disc "rareties" is good all the way through.
his best album in my humble and limited opinion is Closing Time.

On to Buckley- too beautiful for words.

Right! sometimes he does sound like so. But this doesn't make it bad music - you only need to feel for the cat to GET it!
:-o

(you, hobart, may know already, but others May not) : in the 3-disc-set you mentioned, there's a 'song' named 'NIRVANA' which is based on the poem of that name by Bukowski.

Best album? Couldn't chose One. But did 3 'Best-of's myself (for personal use) gathering his different moods, so one CD gives the 'Bar-songs' (mostly from the 70s sure), one the 'FranksWildYearsAndBlackRider-songs' and one the 'funny-things'.

Roni- Yes track 11 on the Bastards disc. I know there are some out there who have an on again/off again feeling of Kerouac but Waits cover of "On the Road/Home I'll Never Be" is a beaut(sic). My favorite version of that song, however is on "Kerouac Reads On the Road", It is Waits and as the band behind him, Primus. Good shit.

Also there is a Pearl Jam bootleg, one of the ones they mass released, I believe it is the 3 disc Seattle set I will find it let you know. Anyway Vedder is talking about how the band struggled through stuff but stuck together and then Eddie states, (not verbatim), "There is a writer named Charles Bukowski who said 'what matters most is how well you walk through the fire.' I mean what choice do you do have right? Not to walk through it? He was fond of red wine too!"
Just a side note to start the day. Cheers.

Prince!

He reminds me of the Ramones (huh?).

Listening to either of them now it's easy to forget how really fucking weird they both sounded in their day. Prince turned popular music on its head, and for a good decade or more afterward, everyone just tried to follow his path. Then hip hop rose to prominence and relegated actual musicians to second class status. For a while, anyway. But that can't last.

But yeah, Prince. We used to go see him play on weeknights at Uncle Sam's (which later became First Avenue, as featured in Purple Rain), and he was and is one supremely talented (and funny) motherfucker, if I do say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back