What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. #5 (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only discovered them when Pleased to Meet Me came out and didn't get to see them until they were opening for Elvis Costello during Don't Tell a Soul.
I know, most people caught on to them later. I only knew/saw them in their infancy as an accident of birth and location. Who knew we had a scene going in the twin cities? We certainly weren't trying.

Here's who i got to see early on as an accident of birth and location: Not proud but i ain't gonna deny either

Blackbird is not a trivial thing to learn on the guitar.
Agreed. It's not trivial by any means to learn Blackbird. Playing it and singing over the top quite well, from someone only playing for a couple of months is more....inspiring. To me anyway.

Point being that "what I'm listening to" is a young musician taking shape, having an appreciation for real music and musicians, and "using thier hands" with nothing but the bare essentials to produce something that reminds me of the process and the purpose of why I ever started playing in the first place.

Dave Grohl on Blackbird "Learning that song made me a better guitar player and gave me a better appreciation of songwriting. Musical bliss"

Here's who i got to see early on as an accident of birth and location: Not proud but i ain't gonna deny either

Yeah, we've all got those memories. I don't mind the instrumentation but the dress and that guy trying to be Brian Johnson along with the others who tried is all a bit ridiculous. Sometimes, all ya can do is laugh!

One of the first bands I ever saw live was this Scottish group (from near my home town too!)
The Cocteau Twins: 1979 - 1997. Best album for me was Treasure from 1984; best track, Persephone, played it incessantly. When they split Liz Fraser (singer) did Teardrop with Massive Attack 1998, again, fantastic song.

Posting these guys again. That stand-up bass is out of this world and I always enjoy when the instrumentalists talk back and forth to each other as happens here around 2:20. Can't say enough, these young fellas got style.

... Hot 8 brass band ...

That was nice HS. New to me, great tip.

As far as first concerts, I cut my teeth on Rage Against the Machine and Wu-Tang when they toured together back in 1997. I was a freshman in college in Madison, where my brother was a junior. He let me tag along down to Chicago, the old World Amphitheatre (now named after some bull s^#* bank). Outdoor show, big lawn. May even have been a pill of ecstacy involved. Never forget that swirling vortex hurricane of a mosh pit careening and pulsating with wild and revolutionary passion during Bulls On Parade.

Stevie Wonder was my first. It was at the Valley Forge Music Fair. Dec 1983. I just turned 12. this clip is the same tour.

First real "concert" (not counting junior high and high school dance rock bands which were generally like seeing your neighbors only they were holding guitars instead of lawn mowers, though Cheap Trick played at my high school when they were called simply Trick, before they were cheap, and we thought the guitar player - a long haired Rick Nielsen - was having drug-induced seizures because he was so spastic and weird) was these knuckleheads:

Though they weren't nearly as energetic as they are in this clip. Maybe because they were playing to a bunch of farm boys in a sweaty little dungeon at the Minnesota State fair.

Next after that was Alice Cooper. Then I was hooked on live shows and everything went kablooey and I saw everyone who came through the twin cities in the 70s (which was everyone). Except Stevie Wonder.

Which I've probably said a hundred times before, but here we are. 101.

The wife & I are taking the boys to their first concert this Saturday. Rancid it is.

It wasn't a prop, it was a Gibson Marauder (the cheapest Gibson made at the time, entry level with a bolt on neck, unusual for Gibson). They would saw halfway through the guitar in a couple spots so it would break apart semi-convincingly.

Marauder.jpg

Been listening to Massive Attack this week a lot so in honour here is my favourite track; not into music videos at all, but I like this:

what is it with kids and Rancid? my 9 year old tells me they're better than The Clash. insolent little runt...
I had a funny yet heart sinking put down from my 10 yr old daughter who had a friend on a sleepover last week, I was hiding out in the study/spare room on the computer listening to some Clash too, hadn't yet put on my headphones and in she came, put her arm around me, leaned in close and said "mummy I don't think you should be listening to music that loud" turned my speaker volume down and left without another word. Ouch!!

what is it with kids and Rancid? my 9 year old tells me they're better than The Clash. insolent little runt...
Yes the Clash are WAY better but Joe Strummer is dead and so we can never actually go to a Clash show. The boys like the Clash as well, so i'm not bothered. That being said, the family had a great time. and the boys went full-on:
1010760_10151511290473316_461845415_n.jpg

I have no one to blame but myself, they were my Rancid records he stumbled across. He had made his way through my Clash records earlier.

but still, the audacity...

"Hey Jack Kerouac" - literary lyrics!
Hey Jack Kerouac I think of your mother And the tears she cried They would cry for none other Than her little boy lost in a little world that hated And that dared to drag him down Her little boy courageous
He chose his words from mouths of Babes got lost in the world Hip flask slingin' madmen Steamin' caf' flirts They all spoke through you
Hey Jack, now for the tricky part When you were the brightest star Who were the shadows Of the San Francisco beat boys? You were the favourite Now they sit and rattle their bones And think of their blood stoned days
You chose your words from mouths of Babes got lost in the world The hip flask slingin' madmen Steamin' caf' flirts In Chinatown, howlin' at night
Allen baby, why so jaded? Have the boys all grown up And their beauty faded? Billy, what a saint they made you You're just like Mary down in Mexico On all souls' day
You chose your words from mouths of Babes lost in the world Cool junk bootin' madmen Street minded girls In Harlem, howlin' at night
What a tear stained, shock of the world You've gone away without sayin' Sayin' goodbye
[ From: http://www.metrolyrics.com/hey-jack-kerouac-lyrics-10000-maniacs.html ]

I'm a RUSH Fan. I am a serious RUSH fan. I just saw them in Hershey PA. I saw them three times on this tour. I keep wondering when they are going to stop touring. I can't believe that Neil (drummer) is still drumming that brutally hard stuff and he is 60 or 61. It is madness. The guy is some sort of Alien / Human hybrid. RUSH and Zeppelin are the only 2 bands I'll pay money to go see and since it is safe to say that Zeppelin is dead (Robert can't hit the high notes any more), RUSH is the only band I'll pay big money to go see. I am chronically unemployed or under employed since 2008 so money is real tight. I never thought my life would be so horribly derailed. Buk predicted it in Dinosauria, We. "as the supermarket bag boy holds a college degree." One other person on this site thinks this poem was writen around 1991 so Buk was way ahead of his time on this predicition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back