What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. #5 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Alice's old teeth were perfect for who he was.

Not sure about the teeth of these kids. Produced by Steve Berlin, which seems to have made them very playable on Canada's national radio station. And I find most of the songs on their album don't have me drifting off into lala land.

Maybe they'll have new teeth for the next album and they'll sell more and I'll be interested less.

I find most of the songs on their album don't have me drifting off into lala land.
Isn't it funny that the standard for quality has become, "Well, it isn't awful." I find myself doing the same thing (see the Lissie song for proof), trying to find something out there. But the truth is I've been doing that since the 80s and 90s, which were piss poor decades for music. Just wading around and picking the bits that aren't horrible out of the ocean of runny shit.

But if you judge most of this stuff objectively, the creativity, the inventiveness, the quality, the fire just isn't there. It hasn't been for a long time. It's not the fault of the musicians. It's just a strange time for popular music. No one knows where to go, so they just keep doing the same things over and over.

Here's 2 current bands that i think are still doing good & creative stuff with fire: and

Well, okay. But Wilco is almost 20 years old and Radiohead is almost 30 years old(!). They are practically classic rock at this point. ;)

Good point mjp, as usual. I guess when i say "current bands" i mean "bands that never actually went away and then came back for a reunion".

Listening to this just now, doesn't get any more classic... ( well it does but it's unseemly to argue with yourself) the beautiful guitar playing of Stuart Adamson (white jacket, errr) died in Dec 2001, terrible. At his memorial tributes were read out from The Edge, David Bowie, Mick Jones and Joe Strummer - exactly 1 yr later he would be dead too! Covered by U2 and GreenDay but never bettered, Scottish band The Skids, bit poor quality on sound sorry:

Wasn't he also in Big Country? Hmmm.....
Yes! he was, am amazed you knew them, took more of a centre stage with them though didn't he, even though he was the founder of The Skids (and the better band for me) Richard Jobson and he started squabbling hence the split. Great guitar player. I'm so pleased you know him.

Skygazer, you posted an obscure classic, a cult classic shall we say. Here's another. On of my all time favorite and a power-pop gem too.

Welcome to Los Angeles... now learn to swim

and a decent cover of this song by Billy Bragg

Last edited:
J J Cale passed away at 8:00 pm on Friday July 26
at Scripps Hospital in La Jolla, CA.

Great album:

[This video is unavailable.]

"groin beard". Is that you growing beard?

groin beard was just another jealous imitator ... that is an awesome video, though man. And it definitely belongs on this thread. What am I listening to? That guy.

And afterwards, with my beard dialed in, you can find me up all night to get lucky.

my moves appear to have been copied exactly by Mr White Sneaks (swivel-hip on horseback at 0:42 and knee-jerk crouch and kick at 1:28) and Mr Bow Tie (flying shin bomb at 0:54). Seriously though they would not need a new coat of lacquer on that dance floor. My action is so hot it smooths out ALLLLL the rough spots.

(for those who wonder how I roll when I'm not giving the Commish the runaround)

Last edited:
this album is almost 18 years old? where the hell did 18 years go? I have a kid and a mortgage payment? I coach a little league team? who the fuck am I?

well, at least I have all my hair. but why is it so short?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back