What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. #5 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
this has probably been mentioned before but what a great album!
ir

but...whoever thought it was a good idea to cut the ends of the songs off to - i'm assuming - edit the applause out should have their goddamn earlobe nodules cut off.

Bob_Dylan_-_Live_at_The_Gaslight_1962.jpg

Must be an audience recording (<cough>bootleg</cough>) made by someone who A) was trying to learn the songs and didn't need all that pesky clapping and talking, or B) didn't have a very long tape.

well someone's gotta pay for that, and i'm a gonna find em...

btw - hearing him sing at his best - like that album, i thought - with such amazing range, i just don't get how so many people can say "he's a bad singer".

blinded by his weird style, i guess.

That song had my full attention. I think that it is in my DNA. I did once walk into a room, actually gliding. The room was very dark, the song came on and I thought that the person singing, was speaking to me. :(

That song had my full attention. I think that it is in my DNA. I did once walk into a room, actually gliding. The room was very dark, the song came on and I thought that the person singing, was speaking to me. :(
You're far too hip to have anyone make you the subject of that scathing diatribe. Part of what makes you truly hip is the innocence that leads you to think that it might have been directed at you.

I'll send you my psychiatrists bill.

By the way, that's another song that Dylan didn't write about critics or, more properly, unhip reporters who were assigned to "go find out something about this Dylan character." Pencil in hand indeed.

Good song indeed. At first I thought it is a new born Leonard Cohen, but it's another singer.
Who is it?

# Tonight I'm gonna watch the fifth episode...

Good song indeed. At first I thought it is a new born Leonard Cohen, but it's another singer.
Who is it?

# Tonight I'm gonna watch the fifth episode...
Brett Sparks & his wife Rennie (who writes the lyrics) make up The Handsome Family.

And that fifth episode really upped the ante on this series.
Chillsome.
PS. SPOILER ALERT: The King in Yellow

There's a Lana Del Rey imitator? That's astounding.

Only because it's astounding there was a Lana Del Rey in the first place.

I have the terrible feeling that you may be serious, so I'll give a serious answer.

If a singer who doesn't actually sing but rather speaks all the lyrics, and speaks them kind of off-key can be great, then yes. In fact if that's true I suppose you could say that Ms. Del Rey is really great. One of the best in the history of modern music.

But like a lot of pop stars, I believe she is rated, feted and celebrated more for her appearance than any musical talent or value. Since she absolutely and unquestionably has neither talent or value of any humanly perceivable kind.

You know, in my opinion.

Interesting side note on Ms. "Del Rey," her father (who I have known about for years, since he was kind of a notorious figure who became wealthy buying and selling domain names) bought her place in the entertainment world by spending millions of dollars to launch her "career" before any record company showed any interest. Which is fine I suppose. Someone had to buy it. She would have never earned it.

I find that funny because a lot of people blame "domainers" (those who exploit the secondary domain market) for many evils, but no one could have predicted that a domainer would also assault us on a musical level.

[...] celebrated more for her appearance than any musical talent [...]
Maybe this goes for most people. In my case though, I don't care for her appearance, which I don't find that intriguing, but sometimes listen to her CD (audio only - no 'appearence' involved) for I like the dark tone in her songs.

Tastes are different of course.

Scout Niblett
It's nice to hear that someone's been studying those 20 year old PJ Harvey albums!

John Holt
Timeless sufferah tune dem.

I love those klunky songs so many of those old school roots singers do. Trying to shoehorn their half formed tunes into existing rhythms. The rhymes all broken and dangling. When I started listening to reggae that used to drive me crazy. "What is this shit? It sounds like they did this in five minutes! They rhymes don't even fall in the right spot!"

It took me a while to appreciate that kind of vibe there. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back