What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. #6 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a Coltrane fan normally, his stuff is too heady for me and his improvisations rub me the wrong way somehow...
I can dig that; especially the post -'64 stuff, much of which is just too dense for me also. I posted this before here, but check this out. A massively-swingin' Trio intro and nothing too complicated except the freight Trane rush as he comes barreling in on Soprano @ 3:09:

[This video is unavailable.]

I never thought I'd say this, but Wide Spread Panic Live at the Fillmore in Charlotte. I thought I'd be over jam bands by now.

At least it's a show where the people still own the venue and smoke at will...

ohhhh sh.............................aving cream.
Those reggae dudes are dang good at cover versions:

I think the Trane/Duke record worked much better than the Duke/Mingus/Roach record as a whole. But I'm only some shmuck. Either way, I was searching youtube for a response and I literally did stumble upon this. I've never heard of any of the musicians:

Last edited:
That album is special, for sure, but Money Jungle was written (for the most part) by Ellington for that recording date; he knew Mingus was breathing down his waistcoat. Duke probably thought Fuck these flatted fifth motherfuckers, I'll show them modern!

But really he didn't have to, Monk and Powell and so many others were already reading over Duke's shoulder and slightly changing his shit up, they always knew he was ahead of his time.

Duke Ellington will always sounds like the future to me.

I could only like that post once, for the record. I had no idea that Duke largely composed those tracks for the session. Perhaps I should have known, but I have ~1,000 jazz LPs/CDs and I can't keep up with them now like I could back in the mid-90s.

Anyway, back to 'Trane ballads. This one kills it both from 'Trane and vocally from Mr. Scotch 'n' Syrup himself:

As does this one:

Last edited:
ROCK THE FUCK OUT

I love this guy. He's got a dozen videos that are just like this. Him just staring and solemnly two-fingering that keyboard to a Casio beat. Mesmerizing.

I admire his complete lack of guile, to say nothing of his perseverance despite an almost startling lack of talent or natural ability. Yet he puts it all out there like he don't give a fuck. That's style, like it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back