What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. #6 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Natty Dread album really fucked with my mind when I was a youngster. Hearing lyrics like, "I feel like bombing a church," and "if a fire make it burn, if a blood, make it run," kind of made me stop and say, "What the hell?" I thought punk rock was rough in those days, but I didn't take most punks seriously. These guys though...I thought they were probably a bit more serious.

I have no way of knowing because I wasn't born then, but also the religious aspect of and around Reggae/Marley must have fucked peoples head in the day, didn't it? All this "Zion" and "Jah" and so on ... didn't you wonder, as an American or European teenager what that was all about?

Most probably looked it over as whatever while the music grooved. But to the Rastafarian musicians it was one of the if not the central motivation behind their music, if I get it right.

didn't you wonder, as an American or European teenager what that was all about?
Yeah, that's kind of what I meant about fucking with my head. I should have said, "fucked with my life," because I wondered about it enough to move halfway across the country to try to learn. ;) About both the music and the culture. Moving from Minnesota to Jamaica didn't seem wise, so I went to California, which is the next best thing. As you might imagine, Minnesota was not a hot bed of Caribbean culture, so there wasn't much to learn there.
to the Rastafarian musicians it was one of the if not the central motivation behind their music, if I get it right.
Jah is the motivation and inspiration behind everything Rastafarians do. In theory, anyway. But people are still people, so Rastas living in Babylon have a lot of dichotomies to wrestle with.

It's an interesting thing, and you can read a little bit about in my book! A Passport and a Clean Pair of Socks will be coming some time in 2025 or 2030. Or 2040. Depending on how the rewrites go, and how long I live. I might just put a star on the manuscript so it can be published after I'm dead.

The Mynah Birds from 1966 featuring, among others, Rick James and Neil Young.
I was about to ask why I never heard that song on the radio when I was a kid, until I read that it wasn't released until 2006. I'm a little surprised that no one at Motown pulled that tape out of mothballs to capitalize on Young or James' notoriety before that.

sw4.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Be_Kind

[This video is unavailable.]

Last edited:
I gave you this video for 3 reasons:

1. David Lee Roths assless pants.
2. Steve Vai on guitar (wtf?)
3. The minimalistic staging out of an era when music was music and no fake posing or special effects were necessary.

No need to thank me.

Boney M, 1978.
all together now!

Last edited:
I don't even...I'm speechless.

Though I'm sure the Melodians enjoyed the royalty checks.

That's the first version that I heard. Then, the Melodians', which was recorded earlier, when the film "The Harder They Come" came out.

Great track, but for the record (I realize that you didn't post the viddy to youtube, hooch), the name of that Monk composition is 'Round Midnight, not 'Round About Midnight. 'Round About Midnight is a 1957 record released by Miles Davis that contained a version of 'Round Midnight.

So, in other words, Blue Note got it wrong, not me. :rolleyes:

Perhaps Grant or someone involved told Blue Note to title it differently or just didn't know any better. Hard to know at this point.

If I remember correctly, I think it has something to do with the around version being based on Dizzy Gillispie's interpretation of " 'Round Midnight. " I'll see if I can find it in one of my books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back