What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. #6 (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what Jameson is for. Each lossless rip of a ~40-minute CD takes about five minutes, so I generally listen to the first track while it's ripping to remind myself what's on there. Some I have clear memories of, but I've got too many jazz CDs, most all purchased between 1992 and 2000, so some didn't get enough play to create an indelible mark on my memory. Many of them contain the "standard language" about DDD, ADD and AAD, along with cleaning instructions. They end with the statement that "If you follow these suggestions, your Compact Discs will provide a lifetime of pure listening enjoyment."

But nowadays you read articles about the finite lifespan of CDs, and no one knows exactly what that may be, but those discs made in the late 80s might be coming up on the end of their useful life. So now I'm wondering whether that "lifetime of pure listening enjoyment" is my lifetime (as I originally interpreted the statement) or the lifetime of the CD (in other words, it's great until it isn't and we don't know when that may be).

The very first ones are falling apart already. They left the metal foil in the middle of the plastic sandwich exposed on the edges and those are oxidizing. I'm pretty sure they stopped doing that very early on though. I have one of those, but so far it's still fine.

They (CDs) are still the best storage media we have for commercial record releases. Okay, blu-ray can store more data, but how many music blu-rays are there? Of course in 100 years when the CDs and hard drives and plasma drives (coming in 2020!) have disintegrated somehow, you'll still be able to plug in a dusty old turntable and play a vinyl record. If you have to.

Well, I'm gonna complete this anyway. Only ~600 discs to go (gotta include classical, folk, bluegrass, rock I haven't ripped yet, etc.). Right now, I'm focusing on jazz. Many Beatles and Dylan already ripped. I have too many Beatles CDs to know what's up there already. Stereo? Mono? US? UK? Good grief, as Lenny Bruce used to say.

I meant Thin Lizzy, since BTO was headlining arenas. But neither one of them turned out to be enduring, the way some of their peers are.
This is late, but I've been up North, I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you... ( on holiday, really:))
It's a mystery really why Thin Lizzy weren't bigger, they must be one of the most underrated "guitar" bands of the 70's.
Maybe it was all the changes of guitarists - all quality - but too many perhaps.
The classic duo of Brian Robertson and Scott Gorham worked well.Robertson was very volatile off stage though and a handful. I can't find it anymore, but there is an account of the reason why he missed the U.S. tour in the late 70's (Moore done it instead, who'd already been in the band previously) was due to hand injury sustained in a fight at a London club, where fellow scot Frankie Miller had been playing onstage with an American soul/funk band, Miller insulted someone in the band and backstage a fight broke out, Roberstson intervened and ended up with a severe tendon injury to his hand and told he wouldn't play again but he did.

Why would guitarists risk their career getting into dumb fights.

Took my daughter and her friend to see Guardians of the Galaxy last night ( enjoyed it) this was in it, haven't heard it for years - great song:

Came across this version of Many Rivers to Cross, with John Lennon and Harry Nilsson.
Lennon produced the album Pussy Cats from Harry Nilsson. Nilsson is the singer but
Lennon's voice seems to come through once in a while.

Last edited:
Well there you go. Reggae on the River has come 21st century uptown. I wouldn't have predicted that back in the ye olden days when we used to go up there. I honestly wouldn't have predicted that it would still be going in 2014, but it seems to be stronger than ever. Maybe this reggae thing has a future.
;)

The very first ones are falling apart already.
I don't think I have any CDs that would have been manufactured prior to about '87. I didn't start buying CDs until about '91. I've gone back and looked at some of my oldest CDs and some of them do have some "pinholes," but they seem to play and rip OK. Of course I don't know if these pinholes were there all along or have developed over time. But I have renewed vigor to get as many of these digitally-stored. Then I'll need a fairly pricey flash drive or two to store them all (and those are prone to failure as well).

I don't think I have any CDs that would have been manufactured prior to about '87. I'll need a fairly pricey flash drive or two to store them all (and those are prone to failure as well).
I don't know that I'd trust solid state drives just yet, but that's just me. I still use regular hard drives, but I duplicate everything, so it lives on two different drives.

I still have one of the first CDs I bought, it's a "best of" Wailers disc on Bellaphon, which was (is?) a German label, manufactured by Sanyo Japan in 1982. It still looks brand new. Funny thing, Island took their sweet time releasing Marley's records on CD. Tower Records in Hollywood was already half CDs by the time Island started releasing the Wailers stuff. I guess they were waiting to make sure "the CD thing" was for real.

Interesting tidbit about Tower: Tower Classical on the other side of Sunset was all CD long before the "regular" Tower was. I suppose because the classical audience has a lot more disposable income than kids buying Ozzy records, so they could afford to be early adopters. Tower Classical was a great store. I could ask those guys the most stupid, naive questions and they were always happy to educate me.

How can I hook an external hard drive to my existing computer? Is it a simple USB connection that shows up in explorer as a folder (like my flash drive does) so I can just drag all the music folders over and then go out to dinner (and a few movies) while they copy?

Any recommendations on a hard drive? I'm using an HP with Windows 7 if that matters.

I use this thing
ir
at home, and one of the single slot versions
ir
at work. You just stick any SATA hard drive into them and they show up as drives on your Windows computer. There are prettier things, but as a utilitarian thing that you can pop a drive in to or out of in a few seconds, that's the ticket.

I use Western Digital Green 1TB drives
ir
, but you could use the WD Blue or really any SATA drive in there. I've been meaning to try some 2TB drives but haven't yet. You know, because a terabyte ain't shit no more!

Ayler, Coltrane, Dolphy, Ornette Coleman, .. I love the great saxes of the sixties. I was too young then but caught up in the seventies. The sound of the sax gets thru to my bones...

Love me some 'Trane and Dolphy. This next one features three overlain themes for the head. The saxes play theme #1, the 'bones play theme #2 and trumpets and plungers take theme #3. Solos are from Booker Ervin on tenor (with that forlorn wide-open Texas feel), followed by Dolphy on alto starting at 2:09 (and reminding me of when Bugs Bunny drank the spiked carrot juice) and Richard Williams on trumpet.

No doubt played on here before, but since it's Buk's birthday, I thought I'd play something I liked:wb:. I don't know if he liked Erik Satie, but who doesn't? If you are heading for a night out on the tiles, maybe give it a miss, wait until you're hungover tomorrow, ps spotted a couple of Buk members in here, you can't go anywhere...

Here's something else:

And a rebuttal of some of the lyrics:

In terms of Beatles' songs, I give the nod to Lennon 20:1. But in terms of post-Beatles songs, McCartney made up some serious ground.

Last edited:
Guess you meant the love dog from hell ..
:)...and there is a "worn out" 5:28am am, I don't know if it's bad or good, that Buknet came to mind when I saw them. Still, glad the title wasn't Love is Gargoyle from Notre Dame, would have been as bad as The Hunchback of East LA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back