What are you listening to? The world really needs to know. #6 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dedicate this one to our own @Purple Stickpin, who is not a fan of Prince's guitar playing, a take on an old B side from the Around the World in a Day album...

[This video is unavailable.]

And just because Arsenio seems to hold some sway over Prince who is notorious for having his songs deleted from YouTube, might as well toss in the other song from the other night...

Consider this thread officially kicked off!

Dang!!! (no... doesn't sound right with a scottish accent) Excellent!!! Love the new version of She's Always In My Hair, just listened to the original to compare it, which was great in it's time, but feels fresh now with the synthesizers not dominating it.

I need to take a shower after watching and listening to that tripe. If you're going to make it an act, please include some substance; that's not too much to ask, is it? All that talent is severely diluted by the delusion that bright, shiny, flashy shit contributes to the music.

Speaking of substance:

I've talked about Peter Tosh's riddim playing before and how he made the Cry Baby wah an integral part of the sound, but I just came across a Wailers video I've never seen before where you can hear Tosh in full bloom. And playing an Ovation Breadwinner to boot! A guitar a couple of reggae players favored for the sound you got between the pickups (though nothing can beat the Gibson P90s, which you can see on Bob's Les Paul Special in the video).

Waka-Jawaka indeed. Dare I say that Bob's great, but I prefer Tosh's edge on tunes such as Stepping Razor. Both died far, far too young.

Reactions: mjp
Yes they did. Tosh was much more militant than Bob, and probably for that reason never got the widespread attention or acclaim that Bob got. But all three of those Wailers (I should say all five of those Wailers, since the rhythm section of Aston and Carly Barrett were integral) were amazing. Bunny is still amazing.

... If you're going to make it an act, please include some substance; that's not too much to ask, is it? All that talent is severely diluted by the delusion that bright, shiny, flashy shit contributes to the music.
When did great rock and roll become tasteful? That was flashy trashy substance. I could've went through life never seeing Jerry Lee Lewis thump the piano with his feet, or the Beatles in their Sgt Pepper Getup or Elvis in his rhinestone catsuit, but where's the fun in that?

Prince's theatricality and flamboyance isn't there to mask a deficit of talent, but maybe he has suffered from people not seeing beyond the showmanship.

maybe he has suffered from people not seeing beyond the showmanship.
I dunno, I don't think he's suffered much in the past 35 or so years. He really doesn't appear to give a rat's ass whether anyone likes his music or not.

He's certainly always done exactly what he wanted to do, even if it was radically different from what he did before. Just like Dylan. Just like The Beatles. And like him or not, he single-handedly changed his genre of music as dramatically and irreversibly as Dylan and The Beatles did.

That was a long time ago now, but so were those other two.

All of the musicians down through time, from Mozart to Moby, who people consider revolutionary were just taking their influences and creating something new with them. Whether you love them or hate them you have to recognize!

Prince's theatricality and flamboyance isn't there to mask a deficit of talent...
To me it detracts very much from the prodigious talent - it's there because he wants it there, presumably, and that cheapens the end product. Of course, I could just listen to it, but I don't really want to do that either.

He really doesn't appear to give a rat's ass whether anyone likes his music or not.
A trait typical of many talented/great artists - they feel strongly enough about their material that they simply put it out there, everything else be damned.

Glad to see you sashayed back in Purple Stickpin:). Is there a way to make you listen to more of Prince's prodigious output. Maybe if you listened to more of the albums as a whole you may change your mind? and learn to love him? a wee bit?

Last edited:
Glad to see you sashayed back in Purple Stickpin:). Is there a way to make you listen to more of Prince's prodigious output. Maybe if you listened to more of the albums as a whole you may change your mind? and learn to love him? a wee bit?
No. There are hundreds; nay, probably thousands of musicians, that I believe to be extremely talented that I have absolutely no desire to listen to. I'm not closed-minded, simply very, very particular in what I want to spend my precious time listening to.

Anyway, this should get d gray all hot and bothered:

and isolated bass:

Keep in mind that one of the most iconic bass lines from the 60s was constructed over a ballad. Granted, a somewhat aggressive ballad at times. But this line absolutely kills it on every level.

If the aliens landed on top of city hall tomorrow and I could only give them one record to explain what ROCK music is, it would be Funhouse. It is everything the genre is supposed to be, and it never was, and never will be, surpassed. Scott Asheton and his brother Ron were the rocket and Iggy was the astronaut sitting on top.

When I was a child, on St Patricks Day, my mother always made me wear something green, and I' am French Can.

Buddy Guy, Buddy Miles and my own lovely Jack Bruce:

Love this song so much, Mountain covered it, but not the same.
Jack on Bass Guitar, Piano and a few other bits:

Further proof that every aspect of hip hop has its roots in reggae. Slackness! And to think that people bemoaned Jamaican dancehall in the 80s because it became too nasty, too slack. This predates outrageously slack dancehall by a good 15 years, I'd imagine. Me control that hole indeed.

And of course lyrics like this are just a progression from the sexual boasting and innuendo in blues songs that were recorded 10 or 20 years earlier.

But this has a classic riddim and you can dance to it - I give it a solid 69. I think that's what it got when they played it on Rate-a-Record on American Bandstand...

Met two fantastic young guys this week (professionally) 19yrs and 20yrs been through very terrible times, over the worst now.
Happily, they're back to being cocky young buggers - just as it should be.
Thinking about them and wishing them good times to come;Two Scottish bands, one for them and one for me (they weren't even born for my one)! and I love Mogwai too.

Last edited:
Right this second? 'Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast'

I listen to 'Opie and Anthony' daily and some other podcasts too. At night I've been listening to 'the Cowboy Junkies' lately.

You've heard it a million times, but it's still a perfect song, from the wordless sorta-singing of the hook, to the rhythm guitar stabbing in and out in search of a riff, to the disco walking bass. It just hits on every level and perfectly creates the vibe of a guy who lost his love and is withdrawn, just wandering aimlessly, losing his shit.

When the phone rings
it's just some friends of mine that say;
Hey! What's the matter man?
We gonna come around at 12 with some Puerto Rican girls that's just dying to meet you.
We gonna bring a case of wine,
hey, let's go mess and fool around,
you know, like we used to.

Translate that, motherfuckers!

Not a big fan of the Stones, for what it's worth. They miss for me way more often than they hit, but when they hit, they have the skills to hit hard.

I love their imperfection but I suppose that was the thing with them - inconsistency - it was either terrific or terrible. On that 1978 album: Some Girls, featuring Miss You, is for me the worst track ever released by them, it's called; Shattered, it was like watching your dad dancing, I don't know if they were trying to mix in a bit of punk, or new wave, but oohhhh god, it's horrendous. I can't even post it, it's so bad. But now probably someone will say that's their favourite song.

My favourite track is from Exile on Main Street and it's Let it Loose , I love the lyrics and funnily enough, if I were to choose a few tracks that reminded me of Bukowski this would be one of them:

Last edited:
Could live without the video PhillyDave but I do like the song. To be honest though, I couldn't tell you the name of the album it is from.
I do love the Stones, my childhood was spent listening to them since I had two young uncles, I sort of imbibed them passively, along with Cream, The Beatles, Free/Bad Company and Led Zeppelin. Probably that one, Miss You and Start Me Up (the single being our own Papillon's Avatar:) I think!) are about the last tracks I like. Mostly, like everyone else, it's the earlier stuff I love.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back